Am I the only one rooting for Aegon?

Alyn Oakenfist

Call me crazy, but with the alternatives being Cersei, a paranoid mad narcissists, Dany, the soon to be literal embodiment of fire and blood, Euron, Cthulhu's personal minion, Stannis, a man with a history of burning people alive and Jon, a dead, brooding, miserable sod, Aegon looks pretty good. Sure he is pretty hot headed, but other then that, there isn't any cruelty or general shittyness around him, and he doesn't treat literal A-bomb as "my children". So am I the only one rooting for him?

And yes, I know he's probably a fake, but why should that matter?

I don't dislike Aegon, but I don't feel strongly for him.

Your list is a little selective though. You list Cersei, who's power derives from her authority as a Regent, but not either of her children who have the claim to the throne (and we know it is a false claim, but if we are not holding that against Aegon, I think they are fair game for discussion).

Tommen would never be a great king, but with a good Regent or hand he wouldn't necessarily be terrible. And I don't wish ill on him.

Mycrella is a bright and seemingly pleasant girl, so if we are not discussing the validity of claims, then she would seem just as good an option as Aegon.

28 minutes ago, Buried Treasure said:

Your list is a little selective though. You list Cersei, who's power derives from her authority as a Regent, but not either of her children who have the claim to the throne (and we know it is a false claim, but if we are not holding that against Aegon, I think they are fair game for discussion).

Tommen would never be a great king, but with a good Regent or hand he wouldn't necessarily be terrible. And I don't wish ill on him.

Mycrella is a bright and seemingly pleasant girl, so if we are not discussing the validity of claims, then she would seem just as good an option as Aegon.

Thing is, not only are they children, but Tommen would be Aenys I come again, while Myrcella has the drawback of being a woman. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against that, but being a woman only a very competent or very strong (in like having dragons) ruler could do it effectively and not get 20 gazillion revolts. I know, it sucks but that's the truth of Westeros.

It isn't just fAegon. The lot he comes with will be no better than the rest. Arianne is a mess like the Sand Snakes. Dornish revanchism will brew huge conflicts especially with the Lannisters and the Tyrells. Varys is Satan incarnate. Illyrio is not that much better. JonCon is a ticking time bomb. Sell-swords are sell-swords: no one likes them and with good reason. Add the further revanchism from the Blackfyre angle and you will see that fAegon's campaign will cause huge instability.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Call me crazy, but with the alternatives being Cersei, a paranoid mad narcissists, Dany, the soon to be literal embodiment of fire and blood, Euron, Cthulhu's personal minion, Stannis, a man with a history of burning people alive and Jon, a dead, brooding, miserable sod, Aegon looks pretty good. Sure he is pretty hot headed, but other then that, there isn't any cruelty or general shittyness around him, and he doesn't treat literal A-bomb as "my children". So am I the only one rooting for him?

And yes, I know he's probably a fake, but why should that matter?

I just hope for a Blackfyre-Targaryen alliance, Aegon being the Blackfyre. That would be the best he can get. (I dunt want him to die...)

12 minutes ago, Mithras said:

It isn't just fAegon. The lot he comes with will be no better than the rest. Arianne is a mess like the Sand Snakes. Dornish revanchism will brew huge conflicts especially with the Lannisters and the Tyrells. Varys is Satan incarnate. Illyrio is not that much better. JonCon is a ticking time bomb. Sell-swords are sell-swords: no one likes them and with good reason. Add the further revanchism from the Blackfyre angle and you will see that fAegon's campaign will cause huge instability.

Can't get any worse than Cersei's gentle reign of stability and sanity

2 hours ago, Buried Treasure said:

A few days ago I realized that Myrcella being the queen at the end would not be a bad ending, tho I don't think it'll happen.

My main dislike for Aegon is his association with Jon Connington. A man selfish enough to risk bringing the plague down on everyone just so he can be the one to help Aegon get his throne. Unless I miss my guess his road is going to get a lot darker than Stannis, Cersei, or any of the other pretenders since he's on a clock and he's willing to do anything.

There is nothing to root for with Aegon. Regardless who he is, he is set up as a fake savior. He is like Stannis, a guy pretending to be good but without a real chance of success. The only interesting thing about characters like this is is how they will fail and go down.

In that sense they are like Robb, Ned, Balon, Renly, etc. They are not clear villains like Cersei, Euron, Littlefinger, Roose, Ramsay, etc. but we still know they don't stand a chance in the long run.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

My main dislike for Aegon is his association with Jon Connington. A man selfish enough to risk bringing the plague down on everyone just so he can be the one to help Aegon get his throne. Unless I miss my guess his road is going to get a lot darker than Stannis, Cersei, or any of the other pretenders since he's on a clock and he's willing to do anything.

:agree:

Besides it seems that (f)Aegon's real purpose is to become puppet for some very shady people like Varys and Illyrio Mopatis. Or I assume that his supporters had their own agendas and even if (f)A would somehow gain kingship he would have very little real power but all "his" decisions would be made by Varys and IM. 

8 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

:agree:

Besides it seems that (f)Aegon's real purpose is to become puppet for some very shady people like Varys and Illyrio Mopatis. Or I assume that his supporters had their own agendas and even if (f)A would somehow gain kingship he would have very little real power but all "his" decisions would be made by Varys and IM. 

I don't think that's how things are going to go. Varys dreams of Aegon to be this great king created from scratch, so he won't be it. And that has to be more than in part because he does not listen to good advice ... which he should get from Varys, at least.

But Connington has the best potential to become a true force of destruction. He is a dead man walking, so if he can hide what he is he could become of the worst characters in the series if his successes are threatened. He would do literally everything to put Aegon on his throne - which shouldn't be difficult - and even more to keep him there.

His bells trauma revolves around the Targaryens losing the throne, so the time for him to run amok is when Aegon's reign after he has taken the throne is threatened. Then he will commit any atrocity to keep him there, including burning cities, butchering thousands, etc. Because dead people can't fight back, like Toyne and Tywin supposedly taught him.

8 hours ago, Mithras said:

Mithras , do you think there will be an iron throne at end of all things?

21 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Mithras , do you think there will be an iron throne at end of all things?

No, it will be destroyed along with much of King's Landing. The new capitol will be centered around Harrenhal and the God's Eye. Although I don't think the story will progress that much in the end, the old location of the King's Landing will be a shunned ruin. A new city will be built across the Blackwater but this will not be the future capitol; just a port city that serves the actual capitol. Much like White Harbor to Winterfell via the White Knife. All this might be alluded to as future plans in one of the final chapters.

9 minutes ago, TsarGrey said:

Because it's cheating. Simple as that. If Aegon takes and then maintains power by deception, by the purported right of blood, he is living a lie, deceiving his subjects and allies, and builds his rule to a false foundation.

Well, there is a good chance Aegon is a fake, but if he is, I´m sure he doesn´t know. He believes to be Aegon, and thus he isn´t deliberatly cheating. And it´s highly unlikely he´ll ever learn the truth. So the big philosophical question is "Is it cheating if you don´t know you´re cheating ?"

38 minutes ago, TsarGrey said:

Because it's cheating. Simple as that. If Aegon takes and then maintains power by deception, by the purported right of blood, he is living a lie, deceiving his subjects and allies, and builds his rule to a false foundation.

Even if he is a Blackfyre he still has right of blood, and more importantly conquest.

Archived