U.S. Politics: That's too bad for Carrots

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I haven't really looked into the story beyond the headline, but did Carrots end up getting eaten?  If so I think that's a consequence worth considering if Trump continues to refuse to concede.

5 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

But, you can’t distract from my suite at the Ritz just by starting a new thread.

Sounds like a fun time.

4 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Pretty sure you've got to hand in your fan card since you didn't follow up on the obvious reference there @Tywin et al.

What, that Trump is a loser turkey?

45 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I hope those of you with mortgages have all re-financed at a lower rate. Apparently there are 19 M people out there who have not yet done so. Go for it!

Since I lost my job in February we have been pushing really, really hard to pay off our mortgage.  We owe so little even if we got two percentage points it would be more expensive to refi than to just keep paying at our current rate.

Sen. John Barasso of Wyoming was just on CNBC and he pretty clearly indicated that Republicans are going to be obstructionist when it comes to Biden’s cabinet picks. He pointed out he voted against Janet Yellen’s appointment the last time around and while he was directly asked if that meant he wasn’t going to approve her appointment as head of the Treasury Department by saying “all candidates have to appear before us and answer questions”, it seemed pretty clearly he wouldn’t be supporting her.

Sounded like he’ll fight tooth and nail against anything higher than $500 B for stimulus, “because it isn’t needed”. He pointed to the increase in the stock market over the last four years. When a dipshit!

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sounded like he’ll fight tooth and nail against anything higher than $500 B for stimulus, “because it isn’t needed”. He pointed to the increase in the stock market over the last four years. When a dipshit!

I hope this is the sort of thing the Democrats are hammering home in the run-off races in Georgia? 

The turkey pardoned last year has been killed of a bit later... It's all fake!!!

ETA: Members of T's secret service detail have been asked if they'd like to relocate to Mar-a-Lago permanently. If nobody wants to, do they have to draw straws?

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

ETA: Members of T's secret service detail have been asked if they'd like to relocate to Mar-a-Lago permanently. If nobody wants to, do they have to draw straws?

He's going to charge them rent, isn't he? A lifelong grift for President Rent-Seeker.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

He's going to charge them rent, isn't he? A lifelong grift for President Rent-Seeker.

Of course. I really hope that at the very least he'll be prosecuted for the grifting in office.

20 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

I hope this is the sort of thing the Democrats are hammering home in the run-off races in Georgia? 

I hope that Biden is aware, abandons his doomed desire for "working across the aisle", and moves on.

30 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Of course. I really hope that at the very least he'll be prosecuted for the grifting in office.

The problem is that he’s violated “norms” more than “laws” on the Federal level.  Federal prosecution will be legally difficult, politically fraught, and potentially really damaging institutionally if the prosecution fails.  

I think we should make explicitly illegal all the “norms” Trump has violated.  So that in the future President’s cannot claim “but it’s not illegal”.  I do hope the State investigations into Trump and his grift yields fruit.  :)

3 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

The previous US politics thread was titled "And now it begins" how you don't follow up with this one being "No now it ends" is beyond me.

Talking about missed titles. The more obvious miss was obviously

In a Farce of Transition

Or Entering the Trasitional Farce

or something along those lines.

58 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

The turkey pardoned last year has been killed of a bit later... It's all fake!!!

The ss agents should be more worried about who’ll be asked to relocate to Leavenworth.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sen. John Barasso of Wyoming was just on CNBC and he pretty clearly indicated that Republicans are going to be obstructionist when it comes to Biden’s cabinet picks.

To be fair, Biden was never going to be counting on the likes of John Barrasso for votes on his Cabinet, stimulus, or anything else.

Another story getting big play on CNBC this morning was about massive unemployment money fraud in California.

When I say massive, it appears to be the largest unemployment claim fraud in the history of California.

It looks like someone (I’m guessing it must be a prison authority employee) submitted a huge number of prisoners’ names for unemployment benefits, some names getting 16 applications in. Murderers, rapists, death row inmates, all got cash, a lot direct deposited into their accounts. Scott Peterson, the guy who murdered his wife, was one of the names listed.

Apparently it was uncovered when someone overheard chatter between some convicts.

Archived