Football: A Blizzard of Games

polishgenius

It was really disappointing to drop points at Fulham last week, but it seemed to give the team a kick in the ass.  They’ve had that extra bit of intensity since.

Now we need to find that balance between keeping the intensity but not pushing players into injuries.

Incredible win today, and good to see the goals shared around and some legs rested.  It would be great if all of our front three could have their scoring touch for the months ahead.  We were relying on just Salah and Jota there for quite a stretch.

I was a bit intrigued by Salah coming on when we had the game under control but my fpl team was pretty happy with the decision.

Nice to see Hendo getting a goal and minamino as well as getting a full game under his belt along with Keita and giving ox some minutes at the end it's good to see some of these guys getting game time.

2 minutes ago, lmanion said:

I was a bit intrigued by Salah coming on when we had the game under control but my fpl team was pretty happy with the decision.

Nice to see Hendo getting a goal and minamino as well as getting a full game under his belt along with Keita and giving ox some minutes at the end it's good to see some of these guys getting game time.

I didn’t cap him as was sure he’d be benched. Was pretty smug first half.. second half not so much. I’m pretty angry at Klopp!

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I didn’t cap him as was sure he’d be benched. Was pretty smug first half.. second half not so much. I’m pretty angry at Klopp!

With an 8 day break I was surprised he was benched actually and then I was slightly mad because he was my captain and I thought he was going to just get 1 point, that changed to happiness pretty quickly. Salah and Robbo in the team 37 from them before bonus points are added. 

Sad to see Ings going off injured again. Southampton look capable of scoring but they also look likely to concede again.

Quite dull, and I really don't like us dropping back whenever we take the lead. One day that's going to backfire badly.

But .. three points on a very average day. Arsenal really don't look good. And like Consigliere, I have no idea why they let Pepe mark - well, "mark" - Yerry Mina.

I said before that I think Arsenal will give Arteta the season but now I'm not so sure. They are in a shocking downward spiral - only 5 points from their last 10 league games and just 4 goals scored. Arsenal's next two games are against City in the cup and Chelsea in the league - I don't think Arteta will be sacked if he fails to win those. After that it's Brighton and West Brom - his head might be on the chopping block if he doesn't pick up six points there.

Depressing to see how Arteta has gone from favourite son to useless manager. The squad is definitely bad, has been for years, and not too many bright spots or prospects coming through. Not that he seems like the petty type in terms of Arsenal, but it'd be easy to believe that Wenger must be taking some satisfaction from seeing how the team has gone years after he left.

Arteta's not doing a good job at this point but he does feel like the least of their problems to me. At least he has done an ok job at some stages. The rest of the management structure has been consistently failing. I don't think changing the manager would be a bad idea by any means but Arsenal really need to sort their recruitment out to create an environment were any manager is going to succeed. I've seen a few people suggesting Ralf Rangnick and that does sound sensible. 

Leao just scored 6 seconds in against Sassuolo. Fastest goal in serie a history. Milan are so fun to watch this season. Fastest in the history of the top 5 leagues actually. 
Theo Hernandez is genuinely one of the most exciting players in Europe to watch and he’s a left back. 

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Arteta's not doing a good job at this point but he does feel like the least of their problems to me. At least he has done an ok job at some stages. The rest of the management structure has been consistently failing. I don't think changing the manager would be a bad idea by any means but Arsenal really need to sort their recruitment out to create an environment were any manager is going to succeed. I've seen a few people suggesting Ralf Rangnick and that does sound sensible. 

I don't think he will go there, at least if I were him I wouldn't touch that job with a pole. Well, maybe with PG as human shield, but that was more inserted as lazy pun than for actual reasons.

Anyway, Arsenal should sort out their recruitment, yeah. But they decided to go a completel different route some years ago. Remember they poached Mislintat from Dortmund a few years ago. Then they decided, they would rather go for an agents based system, and let Mislintat go (who apparently also didn't see eye to eye with Emery, IIRC). Anyway, Mislintat has moved on to Stuttgart and is now sitting on their executive board responsible for recruitment. They are quite happy with his work and recently extended his contract I think. Anyway, the point is, Arsenal are way too erratic to be considered a good career move right now, imo. And I am not sure, Arsenal are right now more likely to establish an actual Sporting Director/Director of Football (in contrast to whatever the hell Edu is doing there) than United.

So the best team is losing again?

Archived