US Politics: Georgia on Our Minds

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was wondering who the woman lawyer on the Trump call was, Cleta Mitchell. As an aside, who the hell names their child Cleta? 

Cleta is a feminine form of Cletus. Cletus is a short form of Anacletus, Greek "invoked", the name of the third Pope, and that Pope is himself sometimes called "Cletus."

https://www.behindthename.com/name/cletus

Cletus and Cleta were well-used names in the South during the late 19th and early 20th century. Cleta was among the top thousand names given American baby girls between 1902 and 1943. Cletus stayed among the top thousand for boys until 1967. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I doubt there would be a split decision. There's little reason to see why voters would split their tickets.

You may think there is little reason, but surely there will be a few individual voters who will for their own idiosyncratic reaons-- probably more who will not vote in one of the two races but will the other -- and if it really is a close to 50/50 election it certainly would be possible for Warnock to get something like 50.2% of the vote and Ossoff 49.8% of the vote and so for the final result to be split. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Keep in mind there are a lot of Republicans who are fine with Perdue and hate hate HATE Loeffler. It'd be less about splitting and more about her not getting as many votes. 

Interesting, why to many “hate” Loeffler?  She did better than any other Republican in the initial race?

5 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Keep in mind there are a lot of Republicans who are fine with Perdue and hate hate HATE Loeffler. It'd be less about splitting and more about her not getting as many votes. 

There’s also a not zero number of people who consciously or unconsciously still do not think women should be in positions of power

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Interesting, why to many “hate” Loeffler?  She did better than any other Republican in the initial race?

I'm not an expert but I'd guess it's because she was appointed by Kemp to appeal more to moderates and suburban women, while a lot of the Trumpiest in Georgia thought Rep Doug Collins should get the temporary Senate seat. Their primary was pretty contentious.

Of course, she's also a born-rich married-richer carpetbagger from Illinois who looks like she dressed as a farmer for a costume party on her yacht, but I don't know if that kind of shit really matters to Republicans when there's a black man on the other side.

37 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Cleta is a feminine form of Cletus. Cletus is a short form of Anacletus, Greek "invoked", the name of the third Pope, and that Pope is himself sometimes called "Cletus."

https://www.behindthename.com/name/cletus

Cletus and Cleta were well-used names in the South during the late 19th and early 20th century. Cleta was among the top thousand names given American baby girls between 1902 and 1943. Cletus stayed among the top thousand for boys until 1967. 

That would fit. She’s 70 years old, so born in 1950.

And thanks for that, but I still shudder at the thought of being named Cleta. Ah, the fashion for all things Greek. Ithaca, Attica and Utica.

42 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You may think there is little reason, but surely there will be a few individual voters who will for their own idiosyncratic reaons-- probably more who will not vote in one of the two races but will the other -- and if it really is a close to 50/50 election it certainly would be possible for Warnock to get something like 50.2% of the vote and Ossoff 49.8% of the vote and so for the final result to be split. 

I mean sure, it is feasible that people will only vote in one race, but I think the impact of that could me small.  What I was discussing though was split ticket voting, and I think that will be minimal because really the only reason to do it is to claim you were being a moderate.

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The latter is one of the reasons I dislike her. The other is the first reason, but with a twist - she was supposed to appeal to moderates and suburban women. And then she went full-on QAnon hugging.

Yeah, watching her go Full Trump as a Senator, embrace the QAnon Rep, and run a transparently vicious, race-baiting campaign where she tried to play the Elijah Wright playbook on Warnock has revealed what a shitty, empty, grasping person she is.

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Republicans dislike her because many of them dislike wimmin in power, and also she will never be Trump-y enough for them. No matter how many neo-Nazis she has her photo taken with.

Hey, she disavowed that Neo-Nazi after his second appearance at her rallies!

7 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

From the news I heard it was more about her being a super rich snobby corrupt jerk. 

But they do like their orange (pretend) super rich snobby jerk. I suppose the missing y-chromosome makes all the difference.

In a race expected to be so close, it doesn’t have to be a lot of people doing something to swing it. If enough people hated a particular ad or don’t like women or got tired of a particular campaign contacting them- that could tip the whole thing. Little stuff is going to matter in these results. And I think tons of people are underestimate the women who don’t like other women factor. My own mother needs her arm twisted every election cycle because “I just don’t like her and I don’t know why” is her response to any female candidate for anything. And she always votes, and is very left leaning. But she hates women, so I always have to harass her for weeks not to leave those races blank. I think there was enough of that to make a difference with Clinton as well, I don’t even think it’s mostly men who do it.

36 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

There’s also a not zero number of people who consciously or unconsciously still do not think women should be in positions of power

The same people mostly overlap, I assume, with those who believe more strongly and more consciously that non-white people should never be in positions of power. Whether that means they are no shows or they chose (in their eyes) the lesser of two evils is about to be revealed I suppose.

49 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

There’s a list set out by the IRS that determines whether people are independent contractors or employees.

There is a lot of grey area.

However, Scot can control when he works. That’s one of the keys of being a contractor.

OTOH, there are other elements that point to “employee”, hence, the reason this has been fought over in court.

Certainly not an expert, but I believe there are two different questions - are you an employee for TAX purposes, and are you an employee for wage and hour/labor law purposes.  These two concepts are related and often overlap, but my understanding is that they do not always overlap.  

One potential example is that you cannot be both a partner in a partnership and an employee of a tax entity for tax purposes.  So, if you are a partner in parent limited liability company (taxed as a partnership) but are an “employee” of a subsidiary limited liability company (which would be treated as “disregarded” from the partnership for tax purposes), my loose understanding is that you could be an employee for labor law purposes but NOT for tax purposes (to be clear, confident of the tax part :P).

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The same people mostly overlap, I assume, with those who believe more strongly and more consciously that non-white people should never be in positions of power. Whether that means they are no shows or they chose (in their eyes) the lesser of two evils is about to be revealed I suppose.

I think you’d be surprised. While there’s a lot of overlap, sexism doesn’t belong to whites only or racists only.

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think you’d be surprised. While there’s a lot of overlap, sexism doesn’t belong to whites only or racists only.

You are 100% correct on that. I must also acknowledge that racism vs black people is also not limited to white people. So, perhaps less of an overlap, but perhaps somewhat of a cancelling out.

Can I get real with you folks for a sec? Mind if I turn my chair around, sit in it backwards, and rap at you about something close to my heart? Today’s your last chance to vote for Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock. I know you’re burnt out from all this election jive, and I know it can be hard sometimes to figure out where everyone stands, but unless you’re a hedge fund billionaire or a literal oil company, trust me when I say Ossoff and Warnock are on your side. They’re picking up what you’re putting down. They understand your FOMOs and TikToks. They totally grok. And that’s why today, January 5th, I will be voting for Ossoff and Warnock. I hope to see you there. Ossoff and Warnock; good for Georgia, good for America, good for #democracy.

5 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

If you want to help gig workers - which are going to become a bigger and bigger thing in all industries with working from home and internet accessibility and on-demand surge needs - they need to have an independently supplied source of benefits from their sources of income. This problem is only going to get worse. 

Yes, this is true. Other than making healthcare accessible to everyone, whether they are an employee or independent contractor, another area I think that needs to be fixed is pensions. I'm afraid some of these people in gig work won't or are not saving enough so they can retire at a reasonable age. There are a related set of issues here which include 1) low wages for some people, 2) public policy, and 3) the ability to separate good advice from bullshit when it comes to investment choices.

13 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Can I get real with you folks for a sec? Mind if I turn my chair around, sit in it backwards, and rap at you about something close to my heart? Today’s your last chance to vote for Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock. I know you’re burnt out from all this election jive, and I know it can be hard sometimes to figure out where everyone stands, but unless you’re a hedge fund billionaire or a literal oil company, trust me when I say Ossoff and Warnock are on your side. They’re picking up what you’re putting down. They understand your FOMOs and TikToks. They totally grok. And that’s why today, January 5th, I will be voting for Ossoff and Warnock. I hope to see you there. Ossoff and Warnock; good for Georgia, good for America, good for #democracy.

Checks location of poster - Long Beach, CA. VOTER FRAUD!!! I knew it, the Jedi are taking over!!!

Archived