U.S. Politics: This DOO-DOO Is Bananas

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Yes, I think it's possible to get him on board with the 51 for 51 campaign, argued as much a couple times a few months ago.  If I'm gonna push him on things though, stimulus and HR 1 take precedence.

I think stimulus might not need only 50. I think you might be able to find defectors. Hr1 however will require reconciliation.

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

though perhaps he has no plans to retire. That was something Ginsberg hoped to do—god bless her—after this presidential election.

I do not get the impression he wants to hang on like Ginsburg did.  But that's not based on much of anything at all, not like we hangout.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I think stimulus might not need only 50. I think you might be able to find defectors. Hr1 however will require reconciliation.

Agreed on both counts, just thinking about priorities and timeframe.  If he's able to get stimulus and HR 1 through by October that'd be an incredible success, so DC is gonna have to wait.

Regarding the $2000 stimulus, am wondering whether Biden, Pelosi and other supporters of it are talking about 2000 in additional or 1400 in addition to the 600 already passsed?

In other words when they are talking about the stimulus is it 2000 or 1400 to add with the 600 (already passed) to give us 2000?

1 minute ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding the $2000 stimulus, am wondering whether Biden, Pelosi and other supporters of it are talking about 2000 in additional or 1400 in addition to the 600 already passsed?

Good question.  Regardless, considering all the mishegoss last week, they should bring it to the floor immediately after Warnock/Ossoff are seated as a standalone bill.

I expect Raffensperger and Sterling to conduct a recount for both contests regardless of margin.  Remember, they completed two recounts within a month in November.  And just based on tonight it seems the counting is going much quicker.  Plus both Purdue and Loeffler are gonna demand it anyway.  I think, hopefully, they can get it done very shortly after inauguration.

Congratulations to Radical Liberal Raphael Warnock and Jon 'who's got a long nose now' Ossoff! Gosh, could it have happened to nicer people than Loeffler and Perdue?

The Abrams meme is great. Even though she's more of a Trek gal.

Curious that Biden wins POTUS, the Dems flip the Senate but Repubs gain in the House. One of these things is not like the other.

You have 2 years people. I give you single digit % chance of holding the House and Senate in '22. I think you only snatched the Senate because Trump and his cohort of crazies when full whacko in the last few weeks. It kept some people at home while others decided to do their bit to clean house to the extent they could and send a message to the Repub party that they need to pull back from the edge of madness.

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Curious that Biden wins POTUS, the Dems flip the Senate but Repubs gain in the House. One of these things is not like the other.

You have 2 years people. I give you single digit % chance of holding the House and Senate in '22. I think you only snatched the Senate because Trump and his cohort of crazies when full whacko in the last few weeks. It kept some people at home while others decided to do their bit to clean house to the extent they could and send a message to the Repub party that they need to pull back from the edge of madness.

All this is reasonable. 
The courts needs to be packed at a record breaking rate, Breyer and kagen need to retire, and we could only hope and pray, one of the conservative justices besides Roberts retires or dies while Democrats have control of the senate.

In two years I fully expect to be disappointed on many things.

But for now I’ll gloat.

I’d like to say fuck all the assholes who would have come by to gloat that Trumpists were the majority and the people who frequent these boards are extremists who should show more sympathy to nationalists and all their prejudices.

Trumpists were never the majority. 
And I’m glad I could say that.

21 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't know why you're talking to members of this board like we're officeholders or high-level operatives of the Democratic party.  And like you're our overly demanding and emotionally withholding father.

11 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Breyer and kagen need to retire

Er..what?  Kagan is only 60 and the clear intellectual leader of the liberal "bloc" of the court, such as it is at this point.  She's literally the last justice I hope retires.

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know why you're talking to members of this board like we're officeholders or high-level operatives of the Democratic party.  And like you're our overly demanding and emotionally withholding father.

:grouphug:

41 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The courts needs to be packed at a record breaking rate, Breyer and kagen need to retire, and we could only hope and pray, one of the conservative justices besides Roberts retires or dies while Democrats have control of the senate.

I think Biden could justify packing the court by 1 by saying it was an outrage and hypocritical for Trump and McConnell's Senate to have seated Amy Coney-Barrett when they did, and clearly it did not at all reflect the mood of the nation. So in fulfillment of RBGs dying wish Biden will appoint her real replacement, ie Amy Cony-Barret is the 10th SCOTUS Justice not RBGs replacement, And since you always want an odd number on the court it means Biden needs to appoint an 11th, since he can't remove someone. Though is it constitutionally necessary to have an odd number? Could he just settle at 10?

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think Biden could justify packing the court by 1 by saying it was an outrage and hypocritical for Trump and McConnell's Senate to have seated Amy Coney-Barrett when they did, and clearly it did not at all reflect the mood of the nation. So in fulfillment of RBGs dying wish Biden will appoint her real replacement, ie Amy Cony-Barret is the 10th SCOTUS Justice not RBGs replacement, And since you always want an odd number on the court it means Biden needs to appoint an 11th, since he can't remove someone. Though is it constitutionally necessary to have an odd number? Could he just settle at 10?

I’ve never really got the rational for expanding the Supreme Court at this juncture.

It’s’ possible within 4 or eight years Republicans would be in control of all branches of government and thus in a position to expand the court anyway with far more justification to give the public.

Archived