US Politics: 2 Fash 2 Impeach

Morpheus

The opening remarks by the impeachment managers has been educational for me, American for a year and 10 months. I also thought the video timeline evidence being cut to show what was happening inside and outside the Capitol was well done. 

Trump plans a reemergence and some retribution after impeachment
The former president is confident both of his acquittal and that he’ll come out of the trial with an iron grip on the GOP.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/09/trump-impeachment-reputation-467825

Already, Trump aides contend, the impeachment process has proved beneficial to the ex-president — exposing disloyalty within the party’s ranks and igniting grassroots backlash against Republicans who have attempted to nudge the GOP base away from Trump. Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse spent last week fending off constituent criticisms and censures from state party officials after he compared Trumpism to “a civic cancer for the nation.” And Trump’s allies believe the ex-president’s impending impeachment trial will further illuminate who the turncoats are.

“It’s going to help expose more bad apples that he can primary if any senators vote to convict,” added the former campaign official.

While ensconced at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Trump has remained in touch with political allies and advisers. But he has intentionally kept a low profile, something that will likely continue this week. A former aide suggested Trump try to demonstrate his indifference to it all by spending much of impeachment playing golf, “as a way of sort of saying, ‘Who cares?’”

Aides expect that to change once the trial wraps up though, with Trump gradually reemerging in public and turning his attention toward seeking revenge against Republicans who, he believes, crossed him after he left office.

The format in which he pursues retribution is less clear. The president is still considering what mediums he should use as he remains barred from Twitter and has lost influential media allies like former Fox Business host Lou Dobbs, whose show was abruptly canceled last Friday.

Well, it was clear he'd only shut up until after his acquittal.

The golfing thing fits, like a child saying "I don't care what you're saying, nana nanaaana..."

But nice timing: Change your mind and convict me, and you'll be next!

Watching impeachment now. Chuckie, please don't say "erection"...

The video was impressive, the last tweet of the former one being the zinger.

I've known him only since around Jan 6, but so far I really like Raskin.

While lefty news has been consistently showing video to viewers since January 6th, the right wing news has not. They've never seen a great deal of these shots nor heard any number of details common knowledge now to everyone else. They've undergone a month's worth of brainwashing, history overwriting, and soundbite instant excuses that they can repeat like marionettes with their strings pulled and the polls show the change as it took a stronger and stronger hold.

This happened during the first impeachment. Those who only watch right-wing news including elected officials had no idea of the evidence and thought it was some lefty media circus and they dismissed it outright as lies. At the end after all of the evidence, their only defense left was he's guilty but they didn't think it was impeachable or just wait for the next election.

The value of this process is that it forces all eyes, both left and right, on the same set of facts for once which is now extraordinarily rare in the US. It'll make a difference, but I'm not sure whether it'll be enough. It depends on if they think they can keep their base away from coverage and rebrainwash those who did watch.

MSNBC is reporting at the moment that some Senators appeared to be seeing this for the first time.

15 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I still maintain it was a really dumb move for Democrats to not include what Trump tried in Georgia in terms of coaxing the SOS  to find votes for him, or for pence to just give him the presidency.

Such things should be seen as impeachable and not including such charges that what Trump did.

Georgia is opening its own investigation into Trump's actions. And since it is controlled by Republicans, I think it makes more sense politically to have them tackle it. I think its ok for the impeachment to focus on the events of Jan 6 and not have it be diluted too much.

32 minutes ago, Fez said:

Talk Robert's Rules to me, I need this.

ETA: Or Mason's Manual if you want to get real filthy.

The Senate should follow four simple rules.

First rule is: The laws of Germany. Second rule is: Be nice to mommy. Third rule is: Don't talk to commies. Fourth rule is: Eat koser salamis.

This whole speech is about trying to get their base to turn off the impeachment hearing. Trump did this during the first one by talking about how boring it was. Boring is one of Trump's words for getting his base to tune out of something he doesn't want them to see.

I'm sorry, but the people that blame BLM or Antifa or Nancy Pelosi or even just say it was blown out of proportion are not gonna change their minds based on any presentation of evidence.  They are victims of selective exposure, yes, but the key there is they're willing victims - that's why it's called "selective."  And even if you could Clockwork Orange them you may get them to admit the facts of the matter, but that's still not gonna change their mind on convicting or barring Trump from office.

The point isn't to convince the way far gone. This is a spectrum and not black and white thing.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/15/22232847/poll-trump-approval-29-percent-republicans-support-collapsing-impeachment

But a new poll by the Pew Research Center suggests that the events of the last few weeks — a pro-Trump mob stormed the US Capitol, and then Trump was impeached for the second time in his presidency — are finally starting to weigh on Republican voters. The poll was conducted from January 8-12, so it was conducted entirely after the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

According to Pew, 29 percent of Republicans agree with four pro-Trump statements — they “endorse Trump’s post-election conduct, hold him blameless for the riot, believe he is the election’s rightful winner and want him to have a major role in politics going forward.”

At the same time, 25 percent of Republicans disagree with all four of these statements.

6 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

The point isn't to convince the way far gone. This is a spectrum and not black and white thing.

I'd say the point is the Dems stupidly gave the GOP a full month - since that poll was conducted btw - to circle the wagons and for Trump to solidify/win back those leaners/soft supporters, as the politico piece linked by Martell Spy explains.

Just now, DMC said:

I'd say the point is the Dems stupidly gave the GOP a full month - since that poll was conducted btw - to circle the wagons and for Trump to solidify/win back those leaners/soft supporters, as the politico piece linked by Martell Spy explains.

I can see the logic in waiting for more info but I agree the better opportunity has passed unless the new info Dems promised to drop in the hearings is truly exceptional.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

On the one hand yeah. But then again. Democrats are also the party that actually wants to govern, and Biden had yet to take office and presumably also would've liked to get some appointments confirmed. Not to Manchin, that the two Georgia seats also had to be sworn in. So there were practical reasons for the delay.

Archived