Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

May I recommend a busy playground with lots of curious and energetic little children...

Middle-aged man, at a children's playground, with a dog and no children...

"would you like to stroke my puppy?"

What could possibly go wrong?

26 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Must admit, the joke was more about putting ty's bity doggo into a target rich enviroment to tire herself out.

58 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Must admit, the joke was more about putting ty's bity doggo into a target rich enviroment to tire herself out.

Oh, I got that.

I just remember what it was like being exactly that person when my trainer was trying to get our pup to be less spooked by kiddos.

9 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Middle-aged? I'd slap the shit out of you if you said that to my face. I just turned 35. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

• 3 weeks later...

Our Frenchie, Tulip, has become that young, annoying sibling that neither of the older kids want to hang out with.

They walk her, when I nag them. They bathe, brush her teeth, and do her nails when I threaten their allowance.

I mean, I get it, had no idea Frenchies were so different than English, and she can be an irritating asshole on a good day, but, come on girls.

Edited by JGP

• 1 month later...

Got an 8 week old chocolate lab retriever on Friday.

Beem some drama…

On Saturday morning I noticed a bit of blood in her stools and made appt with vet. She was still eating and drinking. Took her breakfast and lunch.

Vet examined her, thought it was an opportunistic infection broight on by the stress of moving, and gave her antibiotic injection, and gave me some probiotics to give her.

Couple hours later she puked up what she’d eaten before vet visit, and wpuldn’t eat anything else all day. Drank some water but not muxh. Also seemed quite lethargic tho she had had a busy day.

I read up on Parvo virus, and took her to emergency vet at 2045. They swabbed her stool sample, found she has a common parasite, also found a faint trace of parvo.

Vet sceptical, says swab test not 100% accurate and suggested may have been picking up the vaccine she got a couplenda yes before we got her.

Got her home (at 1 in morning) with meds for parasite.

This morning she’s been a lot brighter, has eaten some food though less than I’d have liked, and gone for meat pouch rather than her dry. 

I’ll maybe mix in some rice with trlllhebdry (after soaking dry in cooled boiled water) and see if she takes it. If she eats nothing, I may call vet for advice, as they shut at 1 today, and would rather not get hit with another huge bill from the emergency vet

@Derfel

Was the parasite giardia? It's very common in dogs. 30% of puppies in Sweden are shown to have it without any actual symptoms, and the stress of being parted from the mother commonly triggers a bit of it.

Giardia can reoccur fairly easily, and repeated bouts of it could cause gastrointestinal problems, but since she's your only dog I wouldn't be too concerned.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

@Derfel

Was the parasite giardia? It's very common in dogs. 30% of puppies in Sweden are shown to have it without any actual symptoms, and the stress of being parted from the mother commonly triggers a bit of it.

Giardia can reoccur fairly easily, and repeated bouts of it could cause gastrointestinal problems, but since she's your only dog I wouldn't be too concerned.

Loki had giardia last spring. He puked and had diarrhoea, he even pooped in the home which he never does. Took him to the vet, they hooked him up to IV to fix dehydration, gave me meds, some probiotics and special food for him and it was fixed rather soon. Still, it was hell for a day or two. Loki is small for a lagotto (especially when compared to some males in our neighbourhood who go 40% over the standard weight) but he seemed absolutely drained at that time.

The vet said the same thing you are saying, it's quite common and often without symptoms until there's some drop in immunity and then it takes over.

On 9/17/2023 at 1:57 PM, Spockydog said:

Poor wee thing. Did you get off a farm or something?

Yes. She’s doing better though refusing toneat the dry food, and the wet food is a fortune. Thr amoont a puppy is recommended to eat a day is insane! 

21 hours ago, Ran said:

@Derfel

Yes that’s it. She’s our only dog. Got meds to give her. She’s due her second round of vaccines start of october so will get more deworming stuff then if vet gives nod.

7 hours ago, baxus said:

Loki had giardia last spring. He puked and had diarrhoea, he even pooped in the home which he never does. Took him to the vet, they hooked him up to IV to fix dehydration, gave me meds, some probiotics and special food for him and it was fixed rather soon. Still, it was hell for a day or two. Loki is small for a lagotto (especially when compared to some males in our neighbourhood who go 40% over the standard weight) but he seemed absolutely drained at that time.

The vet said the same thing you are saying, it's quite common and often without symptoms until there's some drop in immunity and then it takes over.

Wet or dry food?

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Thr amoont a puppy is recommended to eat a day is insane! 

Just out of curiosity, how much does a lab retriever puppy eat a day?

If I remember correctly, Loki was having somewhere in 200-250 grams per day.

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Wet or dry food?

Dry.

Edited by baxus