Henry Cavill to star in Highlander Reboot

Rhom

On 5/22/2021 at 2:52 AM, Ran said:

I thought he was good in The Man from U.N.C.L.E as well. 

It'll be interesting to see how the project shapes up. It must be seen as a kind of a try at kickstarting a dormant franchise.

They should give Christopher Lambert and Adrian Paul cameos. Assuming Cavill will be playing Connor, they could have Paul be Connor's father, and Lambert... I don't know, William Wallace or something, he spent time in France, that explains his ridiculous accent.

Ohh many, many of the accents are off in the original Highlander movie. It's part of the films charm, lol

20 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I think that would be a magnificent addition to the lore of the series. Imagine how that would play in a new series or film when you have all the pacifists and cowards among the immortals come out of isolation and hiding because they have no other choice and then they face the Kurgan.

Cast some quality thespians in those roles and have a few of them decide to offer themselves up to MacLeod to power him up to take down the Kurgan. There is a lot of drama to mine there.

I know we do not speak of the non-existant sequels, but I think Nic Cage would be a better choice for the second mentor figure of MacLeod which they introduce in the third film. That guy had some crazy mad yoga vibes which would fit perfectly with Cage

It would make kurgan a sort of immortal black hole - none could escape him.

Plus you'd get villainous immortals killing each other because they presumably are good targets having more kills to their name.

It'd also explain why TV highlander got to kill so many without going out of his way to do so. They all came to him. Because you'd think immortals would give him a wide berth otherwise

37 minutes ago, red snow said:

It would make kurgan a sort of immortal black hole - none could escape him.

Plus you'd get villainous immortals killing each other because they presumably are good targets having more kills to their name.

It'd also explain why TV highlander got to kill so many without going out of his way to do so. They all came to him. Because you'd think immortals would give him a wide berth otherwise

Anything special about TV Highlander that you'd say that? I haven't watched the show :) 

31 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Anything special about TV Highlander that you'd say that? I haven't watched the show :) 

Just the fact that he killed an immortal every week, sometimes ones who'd previously been friends but had broken some code of his. After 60 episodes I'd be staying as far from McLeod as possible. More kills than kurgan probably.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

The show takes place in one city, if I remember correctly.

Going there is almost as stupid as an immortal visiting Paris during the French Revolution.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Does this mean The Witcher has died the Netflix death?

Nah, the showrunner posted a wrap on S2 filming a few weeks ago, iirc.

edit: which doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility, just hasn't happened yet lol

41 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Nah, the showrunner posted a wrap on S2 filming a few weeks ago, iirc.

edit: which doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility, just hasn't happened yet lol

:cheers:

2 hours ago, red snow said:

It'd also explain why TV highlander got to kill so many without going out of his way to do so. They all came to him.

I always had this headcanon that immortals are in fact drawn to each other, and that it takes a certain amount of willpower to resist the urge to look for others to fight.
I'm pretty sure the TV show said something along those lines. The Quickening (?) was described as more powerful than any drug IIRC, and the fact that immortals knew when another was nearby (can't remember the name of that weird sound/feeling they got) seemed to imply that being an immortal meant you'd had to fight - the only way out being to live your life on sacred ground, i.e. be some kind of priest.
Yeah, the TV show definitely said that... There was even a guy who became an immortal, a magician, and McLeod warned him that you couldn't be an immortal and not fight (he didn't listen and was killed, of course). That was also a lesson he taught Ricky (?) when he became an immortal.
And BTW, Ricky (?) becoming an immortal explained why McLeod could kill an immortal every other week: new ones would pop up on a regular basis to replace the ones who were killed... Though that contradicted the original movie I guess (?).

I really liked the concept of the franchise (immortals having sword fights), but man, they kept changing the story and the rules every time they made a new movie or show.

Jesus Suffering Christ.  At least culturally and artistically besides the rest of ASoIaF, I can die contented knowing there's nothing new I'm going to be missing.  How about try some fucking new ideas?  Or at least steal old ideas honorably and dress them up as something new.  If I record a dump tomorrow that gets more than 100k hits on youtube, does that mean we need to remake it in another 6 years?  I barely remember what I ate yesterday.

Honestly, the TV show's 2nd season blew my mind when, in the fourth episode,

Spoiler

they killed off Tessa (and Richie, though I had had the inkling he was an immortal-in-waiting). I had no idea at that point that you could do something like that so early in a season. As I understand it, it was all because Alexandra Vandernoot didn't like having to be away from her home and family for so long to film seasons -- she's had a very steady working career in French and Belgian productions -- but that sort of thing was just kind of unknown to me at the time (I didn't watch soaps or stuff like LA Law which apparently had similar sudden exits when actors wanted out).

I just hope they set up the timeline better, if they're planning sequels for this film. The first movie makes it clear that there's only a few immortals left in existence and they've all gathered in NYC for their final battles. Yet with the exception of Highlander 2, all of the sequels seem to ignore this and Highlander 2 is a mess in and of itself.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I just hope they set up the timeline better, if they're planning sequels for this film.

They would be better off getting rid of the timeline wholesale, and starting over. the franchise beyond the first movie is a total mess.

24 minutes ago, Relic said:

They would be better off getting rid of the timeline wholesale, and starting over. the franchise beyond the first movie is a total mess.

Yea, that would probably be for the best. I just hope they get things right this time.

One additional question about the series, but how are there still immortals in waiting? Like, how does the show justify new people discovering that they are immortals?

Archived