Covid #35: I am the Alpha and the Omega.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah I woulda thought that'd be harder too, but apparently not so much.  Per the link above:

Then again, doesn't specify if those fake certificates actually work.

Might be real QR codes. The system works only if they scan the code and check your ID which is rather uncommon. Completely useless without proper enforcement.

4 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Completely useless without proper enforcement.

Makes sense.  Still, at least it's not an actual card that looks like I coulda duplicated using Windows 98.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That’s ever only one first class, at a mealtime, and even then, serving times are slightly staggered because there is only one senior flight attendant serving.

Last time I was on a plane, to LA, even first only had “snack packs” of one’s choosing. So it wasn’t a full heated meal, although the snacks lasted for days.

First class has gotten pretty meh food wise. The last few times I upgraded at the gate all I got was a few free drinks, some cheese and crackers and a tiny tablet I didn't need. 

Can't recall the last time I got a meal on a flight that was international and even then, you were better off buying some snacks at the airport. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

First class has gotten pretty meh food wise. The last few times I upgraded at the gate all I got was a few free drinks, some cheese and crackers and a tiny tablet I didn't need. 

Can't recall the last time I got a meal on a flight that was international and even then, you were better off buying some snacks at the airport. 

Meh. I’ve only ever flown First Class once. I did the same thing there I do on all my flights. Went to sleep and woke up when I landed. No difference whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Went to sleep and woke up when I landed. No difference whatsoever. 

You had first class dreams, narrated by Robin Leach, you just don't remember them.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's worse than "pretty meh", it's offensive.

Especially when airlines used to offer Lobster, Filet Mignon and Caviar on First Class flights.

23 minutes ago, Raja said:

Man, conversations with people who are not vaccinated are rough. The reasons are impossible to comprehend.

Yeah best to avoid them if possible but sadly work forces you to interact with such people. I'm taking a don't ask don't tell approach at work myself. 

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Yeah best to avoid them if possible but sadly work forces you to interact with such people. I'm taking a don't ask don't tell approach at work myself. 

Yeah, I basically ask every person I see regarding their vaccination status at work because it's part of my job. The unfortunate part is how decisions of children can affect their parents ( and vice versa) - ie a 60ish year old women is not vaccinated, and lives with her 80+ year old parents who are also not vaccinated.

Makes me sad.

13 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Might be real QR codes. The system works only if they scan the code and check your ID which is rather uncommon. Completely useless without proper enforcement.

This. The utter failure of our governments is that they don't consider anti-vaxxers and people with fake certificates as domestic terrorists, which at least the latter obviously are. Check everything everwhere, make life as hard as possible so that unvaccinated people are basically close to being under house arrest. Then we can at long last deal with this mess.

As some may recall I was a volunteer in the AstraZeneca study and was vaccinated all the way back in December. Since studies have shown AZN is only 67% effective against Delta and I had it 8 months ago, I decided to take it upon myself to boost with Moderna since my living situation currently involves occasional exposure to an antivaxxer Dale Gribble wannabe. I got the first round this morning and so far so good

Is this how getting boosters will work for us I'm wondering? I'm thinking a booster this winter or spring at the latest would be reassuring.

In other words do I need permission or can I just go ahead an get an additional round of jab(s) after 6-8 months?

We've really had very little official guidance other than the constant droaning about the bastards that aren't bothering to get vaxxed at all.

What about the rest of us that are doing the right thing?

Nice @Chats, give us any updated info you could share. Lord knows we are not getting anything from our public health officials on guidance towards boosters.

Eta: I'm getting the sinking feeling that they will not utter a word about it till the last foot dragger is carted in for what they should've already done.

Endangering everyone that is willing now.

4 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Since studies have shown AZN is only 67% effective against Delta and I had it 8 months ago,

67% in what sense? Symptomatic infections, hospitalizations or death?

The real world data we've seen from Public Health England has the AZ vaccine doing fine when it comes to hospitalizations & deaths, less so symptomatic infection.

I'm curious as I've also had the AZ vaccine at roughly the same time as you did. I should probably look up booster stuff here in the UK, I heard they might have them for medical staff/ clinically vulnerable but haven't looked into it too much.

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

"67% efficacy" isn't the same as "67% effective". It also doesn't account for the effects of getting the virus for vaccinated v. unvaccinated.

Just excellent,

I really wish this was MANDATORY viewing for all Americans.

4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Fury has also a chronic health condition which she mentioned, which makes that booster more valuable for her right now, compared to someone like me; maybe 10 years older but healthy as a horse.

Except for the damn arthritis. That shit will kill me by just making me toss myself out a window someday.

Ah. Definitely a legit cause for cancern.

Does the CDC or WHO have a resource to address this sort of thing? A Doctor might be well meaning but they might not be up on the latest info.

I mixed vaccines as well so I'm considering getting a booster next year if they are available. 

So I had a look at booster shots here in the UK, seems like I'll be getting mine in September

The JCVI’s interim advice is that a third booster jab is offered to the following groups in 2 stages:

Stage 1. The following people should be offered a third dose COVID-19 booster vaccine and the annual influenza vaccine as soon as possible from September 2021:

• adults aged 16 years and over who are immunosuppressed
  • those living in residential care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 70 years or over
  • adults aged 16 years and over who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable
  • frontline health and social care workers

I imagine I'm not going to get the AZ vaccine as it's not approved for <30 year old people anymore. I'll probably find out in September what I'll be getting.

Archived