NFL 2021 Week 2: Is that Jeopardy! gig still available?

Rhom

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Another cheap shot from our friend from Minnesota I see.

The better question is how does a small market team like GB manage to have those top talent QB's and land in those Super Bowls in the first place?

Somehow you've flipped them defying the odds into underachieving:rofl:

Market size doesn't really matter in the NFL.  It's not the NBA where seemingly every player wants to play in LA, Miami, or New York and can force their way to those teams whenever they want regardless of their contract.  There's a hard cap, and trading players on big long-term contracts is difficult because is usually results in a lot of dead money for the team trading away the star.  

A true superstar player in the NFL is far more likely to spend their career playing for the team that drafted them than in the NBA.  Teams have the threat of the franchise tag, which essentially forces players to re-sign with their team, because signing a long-term deal in a league like the NFL where careers can be over in an instant is almost always a better option than spending a year or two playing on the franchise tag and risking injury or rapid decline.  

Individual players matter less in the NFL too.  You've got eleven players on the field at any given time for each team, and players play either offense or defense, not both like in basketball.  One NFL player, unless it's a transcendent quarterback, just doesn't have the impact of a superstar NBA player, and so players are more than willing to sign with small markets if they think it's in their best interest or if they're going to a team they think is a winner.  John Johnson took less money than he was offered elsewhere to sign with Cleveland in the offseason.  There's no chance an NBA player in his prime does that for the Cavaliers, even when LeBron was there and they were contending for titles every year.  The only players taking less money to sign with the Cavs during their title runs were washed up vets on their last legs looking to ring chase.  

If your NFL team is well-managed and drafts competently, that's far more important than the city you play in.  Players aren't lining up to play in New York right now the way that NBA players were doing even when the Knicks and Nets were both laughingstocks.  It's cities like Tampa and Cleveland and Baltimore that are attracting free agents.  

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

So basically a typical Thursday night game?

Anyway, I love the feeling that we’re never out of any game with Joe Burrow at QB. 

Your last two posts are an emotional rollercoaster. Anyways, you should have listened to me. I never had any doubt, cashing in those 10 confidence points.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

We've gotta be about four more losses away from Urban "medically retiring" right?

Flipside is it might be scary if he figures it out. That man only lives in the extremes. See the pictures on his coffee table....

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Your last two posts are an emotional rollercoaster. Anyways, you should have listened to me. I never had any doubt, cashing in those 10 confidence points.

Well, as a Bengals fan it usually ends feeling about like this… :P

21 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Well, as a Bengals fan it usually ends feeling about like this… :P

Jesus, I'm not sure I've seen that in over a decade. The opening scene from the second one always creeps into my head when driving in rural northern MN. You see those kinds of lumber trucks on narrow roads all the time.

9 hours ago, briantw said:

I feel like no one deserved to win that game.

This wasn’t a sloppy game so I don’t agree. Thought it was a game of halves. Annoying at times but fun to watch two future studs make some plays.

ETA: bengals have been shit for awhile but we’ve played well in games and just barely lost like the Jags a lot. This is what happens with young teams. They need to learn how to win or get just enough food players who can make a big play when needed. Bengals finally have those players; Jags don’t.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Joe Burrow was on another level in the 2nd half last night (152.1 passer rating).

Burrow is good. I don't think anyone has argued against that. But I would just point out that it did come against the worst team in the NFL with a god awful defense.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Jfc Detroit making Fields look like an All Pro already. He's marched the Bears to Two scoring drives in the 1st quarter.

This defense is criminally fraudulent.

The Lions are who we thought they were

Archived