Watch, Watching, Watch -- Hold 'em, Fold 'em, When to Walk Away

Zorral

Well in line with the thread name I folded on a few shows. I had like 9+ episodes of Fear the Walking dead and however many ep of the other spin off have been released this season recorded and I deleted them all. Felt good to cut bait and run. I will finish up The Walking Dead because it's almost done but just have no reason to watch the others.

Finally finished Ray Donavon.  Some seasons I really liked and others dragged me down.

Spoiler

When Abby was dying and they had Ray cheat on her just like Micky did to his mom, I mean wtf, it killed the character and almost the show for me. There were plenty of parallels between them, they didn't have to have him literally do the same exact thing.

The other thing that was just so shitty and sloppy was when they had Bridgette just hop right in and chop up the bodies.

Bunchy had a million plus and yet still did the hair brain things. Once he was cleared by Ray he could've gone back to his kid but they never mention her or that money again. It's like they introduced her and two seasons later wished they hadn't.

I mean I know it's a show that requires a certain amount of disbelief and body tolls have to go up but it was the character things that killed me.  Overall I did enjoy the show though.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:32 PM, Spockydog said:

The North Water on iPlayer is cracking stuff. Brilliantly adapted script, fantastic performances, and amazing scenery. Perhaps even a career best performance from Colin Farrell.

I liked it but I wasn't blown away. It felt like a really earnest attempt at filming quite a difficult novel (it's fantastic - one of my favorites of recent years).

The show needed to be grimmer, more elemental. Colin Farrell does a good job but Draxter in the series is nothing like the presence he is in the novel.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:11 AM, JEORDHl said:

Patriot was my jam. I was one part pissed and two parts sad it got dropped. Definitely near the summit of top shows no one watched. 

Man… I’m actually getting pissy about it all over again.

I agree. Criminally underrated show.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:21 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Chinatown is the third best thriller/mystery for me after Vertigo and Rear Window...Hitchcock rules always. Towne's screenplay and Polanski's homage to noir and Nicholson's phenomenally subdued acting, phew, what a climax. Loved it

PS The Katherine charcter, belinda somebody looks a lot like Thomasin Mackenzie... is it just my skewed mind or...?

The Long Kiss Goodnight is excellent, and Geena Davis is in peak form for this film. I was surprised to read that it was initially a flop. I would think Davis plus Samuel L. Jackson in a great action film should translate into a big hit. 

Something for sf/f viewers to see/watch/experience, Ha! part of our first visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art since pandemic struck -- "Before Yesterday We Could Fly: An Afrofuturist Period Room" :

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2021/11/05/afrofuturist-period-room-metropolitan-museum

Lots of links in the article.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyone else looking forward to Dexter tonight? I was happy to discover I still have Showtime, so let's go. 

Oh shit.  Didn't even realize it was tonight, thanks.  Guess I'll give it a try, hopefully it can get the bad taste from the Niners game out of my mouth.

Finished the HBO series Watchmen. Pretty good overall story wise. It took at least 2 episodes before I could make sense of the state of the world and culture but I was pretty hooked afterward. I surprisingly found Regina King to be the weakest part of the show. Couldn't tell if it was the acting, directing or dialogue of some of her scenes but I got a sense of tackiness at times. Her interactions with Agent Blake felt like something out of True Blood or a CW show. Still, good story overall and I did enjoy it.

13 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Finished the HBO series Watchmen. Pretty good overall story wise. It took at least 2 episodes before I could make sense of the state of the world and culture but I was pretty hooked afterward.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Was meant to help, with a new entry after each episode. Might still be worth reading if you're into that kinda worldbuilding stuff, and it does tie up at least one minor lingering plot thread.  

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Was meant to help, with a new entry after each episode. Might still be worth reading if you're into that kinda worldbuilding stuff, and it does tie up at least one minor lingering plot thread.  

Cool, will check it out. Meant to ask but after the penultimate episode "A God walks into Abar" (which was a fine episode), I left the credits rolling until the end and then a post-credits scene showed up. Did every episode have one of those? Might have to go back and check them all out but don't know if the allure of them will have worn off now that I've seen the whole season.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Oh shit.  Didn't even realize it was tonight, thanks.  Guess I'll give it a try, hopefully it can get the bad taste from the Niners game out of my mouth.

Personally I wasn't very impressed by the first episode. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That felt more like the quality of the last few seasons. I'll give a few more episodes a try, but I'm not exactly optimistic. 

Feel like..

Spoiler

YOU SHOT MY DEER!

..is gonna be a meme soon.  Anyway yeah I'll give it some latitude but the conceit so far is pretty stupid..

Spoiler

Dexter hasn't killed anyone in around a decade.  Someone shows up that's deliciously killable.  His son shows up and Dexter tells him to go away.  He relents and kills the deliciously killable dude.  Only then does he want his son back in his life.  Lame.

23 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Cool, will check it out. Meant to ask but after the penultimate episode "A God walks into Abar" (which was a fine episode), I left the credits rolling until the end and then a post-credits scene showed up. Did every episode have one of those? Might have to go back and check them all out but don't know if the allure of them will have worn off now that I've seen the whole season.

They definitely didn't all have post credit scenes. That one was the first. I don't think the finale had one. 

Archived