US Politics: Roe, Roe, Roe you’re gone? (Hope not)

Ser Scot A Ellison

The contention that Roe is uniquely built on a foundation of sand ignores the inconvenient fact that lots of other rights are not expressly articulated in the Constitution

this isn't very helpful. even when items are articulated in the constitution, they can be diminished to the point of disappearance by the judiciary.  consider the 4th amendment right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure, or the freedom of speech prior to brandenburg, or the establishment clause. what is the limit of cruel and unusual punishment? privileges & immunities of citizenship? due process?

42 minutes ago, sologdin said:

The contention that Roe is uniquely built on a foundation of sand ignores the inconvenient fact that lots of other rights are not expressly articulated in the Constitution

this isn't very helpful. even when items are articulated in the constitution, they can be diminished to the point of disappearance by the judiciary.  consider the 4th amendment right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure, or the freedom of speech prior to brandenburg, or the establishment clause. what is the limit of cruel and unusual punishment? privileges & immunities of citizenship? due process?

I think that is part of what the article is saying.  Which is why things mean what the jerkwaddies point to as saying they mean. So all civil liberties and rights for all groups, except rich white men, are at risk, ya?  The first great gains in both came with the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Movements.  So everything these two movement eras gained are what have to gone after, because that is how white males no longer have to respect anybody again except themselves.

It seems there is an ongoing fight between first term Representative Nancy Mace- (R:SC) and first term Representative Majorie Taylor Greene- (R:GA).  Mace called out first term Representative Lauren Boebert- (R:CO) for Boebert’s nasty racist comments about Representative Ilhan Omar (D:MN) saying “she 100% condemns her [Boebert’s] comments”.

MTG then called Mace a “Pro-abort Rino” for having the temerity to stand against Boebert’s ignorance.  Mace is not pro-abortion rights but does support the right to abortion where rape or incest are involved.  It seems that is the basis for MTG’s attack.

Is this exploitable?  Are Trumpanista radicals in the Republican Party going to prompt such a push for Trumpanista loyalty for rigid adherence to their batshit craziness that it will damage the Republicans in the 2022 mid terms?

https://secondnexus.com/marjorie-greene-nancy-mace-spat?fbclid=IwAR2zihNm5KDLNb5dPNwzQIiZgD_B9q8TRkgwjeDYV32zcOV82KkWPTB3MBk

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It seems there is an ongoing fight between first term Representative Nancy Mace- (R:SC) and first term Representative Majorie Taylor Greene- (R:GA).

The best part of this was Mace saying "all I can say about MTG is bless her fucking heart" and calling her batshit crazy via emojis.  But no, there's not much to exploit in a twitter fight - other than to revel in Kevin McCarthy's misery for having to play Nurse Ratched.

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

I think that is part of what the article is saying.  Which is why things mean what the jerkwaddies point to as saying they mean. So all civil liberties and rights for all groups, except rich white men, are at risk, ya?  The first great gains in both came with the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Movements.  So everything these two movement eras gained are what have to gone after, because that is how white males no longer have to respect anybody again except themselves.

This is exactly how I'm feeling as we sit on the eve (so to speak, I guess if Roe were overturned, it will be likely done in June) of the conservatives demonstrating control over the judiciary. Laws put in place to protect people are going to start dropping away. It's bullshit, and it's just more evidence that they're happily constructing a tinderbox.

My fondest memories of Dole were his frequent appearances on Daily Show's Indecision 2000 leading up to the election.  He was hilarious, and I remember thinking if this guy was running four years ago he might have won.

In other news, David Perdue is about to announce he's challenging Brian Kemp in the GOP primary for Georgia governor.  My money is on Perdue, who will probably be a tougher opponent for Abrams in the general.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

My fondest memories of Dole were his frequent appearances on Daily Show's Indecision 2000 leading up to the election.  He was hilarious, and I remember thinking if this guy was running four years ago he might have won.

In other news, David Perdue is about to announce he's challenging Brian Kemp in the GOP primary for Georgia governor.  My money is on Perdue, who will probably be a tougher opponent for Abrams in the general.

So...does the GOP panic should Abrams somehow win the governorship?

6 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

So...does the GOP panic should Abrams somehow win the governorship?

Fuck if I know.  But I mean, Abrams almost won last time, and may well have if, ya know, Kemp hadn't used his position as SoS to cheat.

33 minutes ago, sologdin said:

do we know anything beyond the mere appearance of impropriety that the actual conflict of interest generates?

GOP candidate improperly purged 340,000 from Georgia voter rolls, investigation claims:

Greg Palast, a journalist and the director of the Palast Investigative Fund, said an analysis he commissioned found 340,134 voters were removed from the rolls on the grounds that they had moved – but they actually still live at the address where they are registered. [...]

Lawsuits have also charged that Kemp blocked the registrations of 50,000 would-be voters, 80% of them black, Latino or Asian, because of minor discrepancies in the spelling or spacing of their name. Another suit targeted the state’s most diverse county after it rejected an unusually large number of absentee ballots.

Here's the lawsuit Abrams' camp filed after the election.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, Zorral said:

From where cometh, then, the funding for this force unencumbered by fed gummit?

From the state's robust income estate property sales [?] tax base?  

Or maybe just a poll tax?

Or wait, I've got it, proceeds of civil forfeiture laws.  There we go.

Justice Department sues Texas over Republican-approved redistricting maps:

The Justice Department filed a lawsuit Monday challenging legislative maps adopted by Texas Republicans in recent weeks that it says fail to recognize growth in the Latino population.

The lawsuit alleges that the redistricting plan drawn by Texas lawmakers violates the Voting Rights Act.

"The Legislature refused to recognize the State's growing minority electorate," the lawsuit, states. "Although the Texas Congressional delegation expanded from 36 to 38 seats, Texas designed the two new seats to have Anglo voting majorities."

While Texas redistricting is almost always mired in litigation, the DOJ suing really takes the cake.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Justice Department sues Texas over Republican-approved redistricting maps:

While Texas redistricting is almost always mired in litigation, the DOJ suing really takes the cake.

Usually one says something "takes the cake" when one doesn't like or approve of it. Why do you disapprove of the DOJ filing this case?

Archived