UK Politics - Bluff and Bluster

Which Tyler

Next time someone complains about apologies being mostly symbolic and useless since none of us were alive at the time of said atrocities, merely remind them that it should also be bad form to be proud of the achievements of the past as well since none of us were alive then and had no significant part to play in the Enlightenment or the Renaissance.

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

As far as meaningless gestures, how about the Pope finally admitting Galileo  was right? 

Now there is a case of too little too late.

How can he admit what's wrong on its face?

Galileo was right in that the earth orbits the sun. His reasoning was all wrong, though. Want a hero in that department? Goes by the name of Kepler. 

You will find no person put on a more undeserved high pedestal in history than Galileo Galilei. Even if he was brilliant.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

During the big flooding some years back, I saw lots of them on the walls of houses of people in Kent, for instance, who were being interviewed about their misfortune.

I'd seen them in the pubs and so on when I've been in Scotland (and some parts of Germany too) -- now that is a few years back, since I was there last.  It would be great that trend has gone!

If it was in pubs in Scotland it may have had some sectarian significance. I know there was an Irish GAA team whose fans used to use it because of being “rebels” without really understanding the rest of the implications.

Edit: here’s a link from when they banned it https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-gaa-to-confiscate-confederate-flags-from-fans-attending-matches-1.4277385

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

What is the fascination with sporting the flag of losers? The losingest of losers.

May as well ask what is the fascination to fools sporting their fool-ness.  :crying:

On 3/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

Next time someone complains about apologies being mostly symbolic and useless since none of us were alive at the time of said atrocities, merely remind them that it should also be bad form to be proud of the achievements of the past as well since none of us were alive then and had no significant part to play in the Enlightenment or the Renaissance.

Speak for yourself, mortal!

Thread:

(It has now emerged that when Johnson dumped his security detail to travel to that bunga bunga party in Italy, it was immediately after the NATO meeting that had been convened in response to Putin deploying chemical weapons on British soil. Nothing to see here, oh no.)

As Carole says, the right wing press are finally getting their teeth into this story. About fucking time.

Johnson is a massive security risk and should be removed as a matter of urgency. But he won't.

13 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

When I got burgled, I had to wait four days for the police to show up.

Pretty clear demonstration of the priorities of our lords and masters and who they truly serve, if anyone had any doubt at this point.

Women advised to dress like oligarch mansions if they want the police to start protecting them

Women across the country have been advised to look like giant mansions owned by Putin-backing Russian oligarchs if they want to be kept safe, and quickly.

A year after a number of women spent their Saturday evening getting smashed face-first into concrete after committing the heinous crime of holding a peaceful vigil, women who don’t wish to have six police officers kneeling on their necks have been urged to consider taking on the appearance of KGB-owned mansions instead.

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Is Jeremy Corbyn also a Russian agent then? ( answer: probably)

Corbyn appeared on Russia Today multiple times, made excuses for Putin as recently as a couple of weeks ago and is in general probably useful to Russia in propaganda terms. But he didn't allow any Russian oligarchs to pay his bills.

Also notable is the fact that most of the right wing shitheads who've been fanwanking over Putin for the past six years have run a mile.

Except Farage, who, for some mysterious reason, is still defending Putin and questioning why we are sanctioning Russian oligarchs.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Every single person involved in this needs to be sacked, publicly named and shamed, and spend the rest of their working lives collecting the bins or working in a fucking petrol station.

this is terrible on all levels.

on a separate not no child should have their exams interrupted unless people are in physical danger.  Sorry the Police or whoever can wait outside of the exam hall.   its not as if she could leave without them noticing.  

Also no minor should be strip searched without efforts to get the parents and if that failed then a teacher should be present.  and that even if they had good cause which I highly doubt.

Archived