Canceled: co-opt

Varysblackfyre321

58 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

What's stopping Disney from simply moving up shop to a state that offers them similar benefits?

That would appear to be incredibly expensive and time consuming, They can do but it would be cheaper to cancel any pro-lgbt rhetoric from people working in the company or their child-friendly media and hope state government don’t feel the need to use government regulations to reign them.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That would appear to be incredibly expensive and time consuming, They can do but it would be cheaper to cancel any pro-lgbt rhetoric from people working in the company or their child-friendly media and hope state government don’t feel the need to use government regulations to reign them.

If Florida already cancelled the benefits, then what's the point of trying to appease conservatives? And it's not like stopping pro-LGBT rethoric and content won't cause a backlash from the other side.

48 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

If Florida already cancelled the benefits, then what's the point of trying to appease conservatives? And it's not like stopping pro-LGBT rethoric and content won't cause a backlash from the other side.

On top of the parks, Disney World has 31 hotels/resorts.  I have no idea how much it'd cost to rebuild the entire infrastructure they have, but it certainly would be a hell of a lot more than incurring the costs of losing their special status.

3 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

What's stopping Disney from simply moving up shop to a state that offers them similar benefits?

The 50+ years of infrastructure and all of that that they've built into the state?  It really is it's own little nation state, and should those laws that gives them that kind of status gets revoked?  They should declare their independence.

(Totally should have clicked onto the next page before responding and seeing the same thing already said... :P)

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

On top of the parks, Disney World has 31 hotels/resorts.  I have no idea how much it'd cost to rebuild the entire infrastructure they have, but it certainly would be a hell of a lot more than incurring the costs of losing their special status.

They also are the most influential corporation in the state. They're not going anywhere. 

The main difference of Disney losing their special status is that instead of doing things like fire protection, utilities, security themselves, they'll be relying on the counties to provide such services.  I don't know how much that "costs" them really, but I think it's fair to assume it's not much.  The biggest change will be the burden it puts on Orange and Osceola counties.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They also are the most influential corporation in the state. They're not going anywhere. 

Though their influence appears to be diminishing as the gop prioritizes its culture war nonsense over effective governance. 
Just say “woke bad” and the hardliners of their base will clap.

17 hours ago, DMC said:

The main difference of Disney losing their special status is that instead of doing things like fire protection, utilities, security themselves, they'll be relying on the counties to provide such services.  I don't know how much that "costs" them really, but I think it's fair to assume it's not much.  The biggest change will be the burden it puts on Orange and Osceola counties.

And this is actually the point and the real leverage they have over Florida.  Also, it isn't clear to me whether Disney has a property right in their special status.  They might.  This may in fact be something of a taking. I don't see why they don't just call DeSantis' bluff and sue Florida.....

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Anti-trans jokes he's told in the past, though They Say he wasn't telling them during that Netflix Is A Joke gig.

Allegedly (I haven't heard or seen the video) his joke immediately following was "that was a transman".

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/dave-chappelle-attacked-netflix-trans-man-b2071269.html

Of course, violence is inappropriate in this instance (as it is in most). I would say that media hosting Chappelle should think twice as to whether they want to support someone who leans into bigotry. Sad to see this is where Chappelle has ended up -- he can be absolutely brilliant and hilarious, but I have no interest in supporting him with views, clicks, $$ anymore.

29 minutes ago, Week said:

Allegedly (I haven't heard or seen the video) his joke immediately following was "that was a transman".

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/dave-chappelle-attacked-netflix-trans-man-b2071269.html

Of course, violence is inappropriate in this instance (as it is in most). I would say that media hosting Chappelle should think twice as to whether they want to support someone who leans into bigotry. Sad to see this is where Chappelle has ended up -- he can be absolutely brilliant and hilarious, but I have no interest in supporting him with views, clicks, $$ anymore.

Yeah not the look to take further shots at trans people for their justified anger at the way he has spoke about them in the past. I haven't seen/heard any details on what prompted this person to attack Chappelle but it speaks volumes to his character that this was his immediate reaction.

They Say also, in the first stories I read, the attacker had a gun, but wasn't clear whether it was loaded and / or a plastic gun.  I haven't read any more since that, so maybe it was another They Say before all the facts were out, and it wasn't so.  :dunno:

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Read here that it was "a plastic replica gun that contains a knife blade."  That sounds...weird.

Are Americas laws so fucked that you can get in trouble for carrying a knife but not a gun? 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Are Americas laws so fucked that you can get in trouble for carrying a knife but not a gun? 

Heh.  The charge is assault with a deadly weapon.  I'm not sure if a "plastic replica gun that contains a knife blade" constitutes a deadly weapon - because I really don't know what the fuck that is - but generally a knife would constitute a deadly weapon, sure.

I had no idea that these things existed. They apparently look like this. Why would you want one of these rather than just a regular folding knife if you really want to carry a knife? Seems like a novelty item.

Archived