Football: Heartening Developments

polishgenius

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hate to break it to you, but sooner or later most professional sports teams will be owned by similar entities. Wait until you get the New York Knicks Brought To You By Google. 

Keep telling yourself that.

14 hours ago, Consigliere said:

He's definitely a cunt but at least he's doing his best at trying to knock out the financial doping petro cunt cheaters.

While I do dislike those doping petro cunt cheaters as much as the next guy, I'm having problems seeing Real as significantly better than any of them.

likely no everton player has a release clause if they get relegated as who would have thought that was a possibility?

they drop you have players handing in transfer requests like mad. 

they will have the parachute payments. but in the end their debt could be crippling. 

55 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't want sports teams to be owned by billionaires or corps, I'm kinda resigned to it, but the idea that because all of them are bad they are all equally bad is a bit odd. 

Goddamn right, we are best at being worst. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I don't want sports teams to be owned by billionaires or corps, I'm kinda resigned to it, but the idea that because all of them are bad they are all equally bad is a bit odd. 

Yup. There are many football clubs owned by billionaires but only a few (City, PSG, Chelsea) that have been bankrolled up to the point of unfair advantage. How many clubs, aside from those three, have had owners covering losses and wages to that kind of extent as well as related-party sponsors that have artificially inflated their commercial revenue? Man City are the worst of the lot. City Football Group is a cancer that is spreading.

36 minutes ago, baxus said:

While I do dislike those doping petro cunt cheaters as much as the next guy, I'm having problems seeing Real as significantly better than any of them.

Real are still better though. At least they operate like a real football club instead of having a bunch of related party sponsors (or sponsors operating out of mailboxes) artificially propping up their revenues and spending money the club does not actually legitimately generate because of fake (and over-inflated related party) sponsors as well as owners simply covering losses.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Real are still better though. At least they operate like a real football club instead of having a bunch of related party sponsors (or sponsors operating out of mailboxes) artificially propping up their revenues and spending money the club does not actually generate because an owner is just covering the losses.

No, they had the goverment to bail them out indirectly. I wonder if they have anymore Real estate (see what I did there), that could be redesginated for development, and then be sold off for a few 100m. 

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No, they had the goverment to bail them out indirectly. I wonder if they have anymore Real estate (see what I did there), that could be redesginated for development, and then be sold off for a few 100m. 

That's true. At least the European Commission ruled that preferential loans and deals on tax and property constituted illegal government help and Real Madrid + 6 other Spanish clubs were ordered to pay back millions. Somehow I doubt City, Chelsea or PSG would be ordered to pay back money those clubs did not legitimately earn; instead they will continue to benefit from cheating.

10 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Despite sports being private owned since existence. It still feels weird that a team or club is owned by one billionaire.

Depends on where. In England and the US that was always the case, but not everywhere.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Spike Lee disagrees.

If he sees what I wrote, I'm sure he'll write an angry tweet giving my address, which will turn out to be of some poor bastard that has nothing to do with me.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Keep telling yourself that.

What, the truth? If you can't see what's likely going to happen over the course of the next decade, that's on you. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Real are still better though. At least they operate like a real football club instead of having a bunch of related party sponsors (or sponsors operating out of mailboxes) artificially propping up their revenues and spending money the club does not actually legitimately generate because of fake (and over-inflated related party) sponsors as well as owners simply covering losses.

I've always disliked Real since I learned they had the backing of the Spanish monarchy. But that may not have been fully correct when I learned about it. Still, they had the crown's patronage, and while they are run like a real club now, their royal patronage allowed them to not fail in their earlier days.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've always disliked Real since I learned they had the backing of the Spanish monarchy. But that may not have been fully correct when I learned about it. Still, they had the crown's patronage, and while they are run like a real club now, their royal patronage allowed them to not fail in their earlier days.

I dislike Real Madrid too. Their fanbase is also among the most obnoxious and entitled fanbases in sports. I just dislike them less than I do the petro cheaters.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I raise your Spanish monarchy by a Frranco.

Nothing will be done.

Or even if the PL take action, the CAS will just pocket the backhander, before saying City have done nothing wrong, or that they may have done wrong, but because the scoop came from investigative reporting, City somehow have immunity.

:ack:

48 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Spoken like a true petro cunt supporter.

More like someone who has no illusions about how the business of sports works. You're so worked up over petro owners that you seem to ignore all the other evil owners. Or, ya know, how everything that FIFA touches is completely corrupt. But sure, go own, only the oil barons are the problem...

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

More like someone who has no illusions about how the business of sports works. You're so worked up over petro owners that you seem to ignore all the other evil owners. Or, ya know, how everything that FIFA touches is completely corrupt. But sure, go own, only the oil barons are the problem...

Okay.

41 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I dislike Real Madrid too. Their fanbase is also among the most obnoxious and entitled fanbases in sports. I just dislike them less than I do the petro cheaters.

Well, if Chelsea ends up being bought by an American billionnaire/corp, I suspect they'll start being run more like Liverpool and Man United. And you will no longer be allowed to hate them then. :P I, too, am glad to see the back of Abramovich.

Now as to City and the newly made Saudi fiefdom of Newcastle... 

Archived