UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

5 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I wonder if Rishi Sunak has the chops to keep the various sub-factions of the Tories and the general public happy. 

I doubt Darth fucking Vader could do that, from what I'm seeing. ETA: Controlling the sub-factions, I mean.

3 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I wonder if Rishi Sunak has the chops to keep the various sub-factions of the Tories and the general public happy. 

"Eat Out To Help Out."

Moron.

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Didn’t we see that “energy” in the US on 1/6/2021 in the US?  For the record… mobs storming anything makes me deeply uncomfortable.

I was being flippant.

But these ruling fuckoids, all across the world, need to realise that there are far more of us than there are of them. And when you have a very small handful of (especially) unelected people actively working against the interests of the people they are supposed to serve...?

Well, history has shown us how that usually ends. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I was being flippant.

But these ruling fuckers, all across the world, need to realise that there are far more of us than there are of them. And when you have a very small handful of unelected people actively working against the best interests of the people they are supposed to serve...? Well, history has shown us how that always ends. 

And we’ve also seen, throughout history, the inflexibility and brutality of mobs.  I don’t think mob violence is the answer here (recognizing that you are being flippant).  

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Not sure if this is a joke or not... It would certainly be hilarious if he tried this. 

Is the source Boris? Petronella Wyatt is one of Boris' many exes although I don't know whether they're still on good terms.

I do not see it going well for Boris if he does try it, although he might be hoping that there are so many rival candidates that they all trip over themselves.

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Didn’t we see that “energy” in the US on 1/6/2021 in the US?  For the record… mobs storming anything makes me deeply uncomfortable.

The situation in Sri Lanka is a bit different though. The economy has completely collapsed and the President has become authoritarian in stifling dissent; e.g., he declared a state of emergency so the military could have detention powers and freedom of the press has been mostly revoked.

The Prime Minister just resigned today in response to the protests to allow an all-party coalition government to form to try to tackle the economic crisis; it's unclear where the President is.

25 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Is the source Boris? Petronella Wyatt is one of Boris' many exes although I don't know whether they're still on good terms.

I do not see it going well for Boris if he does try it, although he might be hoping that there are so many rival candidates that they all trip over themselves.

He can’t, according to the tory party constitution; the outgoing leader can’t stand in the subsequent leadership contest. I believe

48 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

He can’t, according to the tory party constitution; the outgoing leader can’t stand in the subsequent leadership contest. I believe

It looks like it's a bit academic, but I wasn't sure whether that applied when the leader had not lost a no confidence vote (which Boris hasn't done).

Archived