UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

It occurs to me that the quality some found refreshing in BoJo and Trump, ie the idea that they didn’t try to hide their narcissism the way other political figures do, was a simple misunderstanding. It’s not that they didn’t try to hide it, it’s just there is literally nothing else to either of them, it’s all they are.

Keeping it real, telling it like it is, sticking it to the establishment. Trump was better at pretending he was fighting against "The Man" for the little folks than Johnson, which is why Trump still has a loyal fanbase of small folk even now, while the smallfolk who believed the levelling up BS will forget Johnson the moment he's no longer PM. Of course there's also the fact that presidents are not the same as PMs so that sort of cult popularity is rarer to achieve. I guess only Thatcher and Churchill have really achieved that sort of enduring presidential reverence.

Johnson’s getting value fornthat peerage he’s givinng Dacre.

The Mail’s failing to read the room, and Dorries is still among Johnson’s few remaining supporters.

Presumably they believe Johnson should have remained in post despite all the lies?

Yeah, sit down, Priti. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants you as leader.

Priti Patel, the home secretary, is considering standing in the Tory leadership contest, according to Esther Webber at Politico. “[Patel has] long been a darling of the Tory grassroots and may feel this is her moment, although her time in charge of the Home Office has not convinced everyone she’s a steady hand on the tiller,” Webber writes.

Reading through the stuff on this list, I found myself thinking that if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I probably wouldn't have believed it.

Is This the Most Cringe Government Ever?

Tough, isn’t it. Difficult to look at what’s currently happening in British politics and not think: ‘We are a clown car country.’ Very hard to observe Boris Johnson – a prime minister so wedded to his own indestructability and ego that people have to literally beg him to leave office, almost 60 Tory MPs lining up to quit his government and plead with him to pull the plug on himself – and not think to yourself: ‘Wow, this is stupid.’ But you know what’s even worse? Watching said PM issue a resignation speech, only to blame “herd instinct” for his own shameful failures. As a wise woman once said: “Are you not embarrazzed?”  

Hard, isn’t it, not to think about the last 24 hours – or the last four years of Conservative rule, even – and come up with the conclusion that this country is fundamentally cringe. This government is cringe. In fact, it may be the most cringe government ever? You may have thought nothing could be cringier than David Cameron forgetting which football club he supports or Theresa May dancing to Abba, but it turns out that there are even darker, more humiliating depths of cringe that a Conservative government can descend to. The kind of embarrassment that keeps you up at night; the kind of thing that haunts you in therapy sessions – the political equivalent of being five years old and pissing yourself in Asda because you lost your mum at the check-out. 

As Boris Johnson resigns, we take a look back at some of the most truly cringe moments of his now-collapsed government.  

Some Tory wanker on the radio: I believe the people of Britain are all Tories. Some of them just vote Labour now and again.

Adrian Chiles: Yeah, I think you're full of shit. The English are not "the people of Britain."

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Angela Rayner threatening to table a VONC again.

Well, what the fuck are you waiting for?

Monday, when the 1922 committee may decide he has to go immediately.

Elsewhere, it's lucky there's no angst in NI about their place in the Union...

Here’s the link

Sir Keir Starmer cleared by police over Durham lockdown beers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62095955

44 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Clearly a cover-up. 

This is the same police force that said it was ok for Dominic Cummings to drive to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight 

11 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Once again, Tories are telling us we need a clean start from … the Tory party, after 12 years in power

Ah, but for five of those years the Conservatives were held back from delivering a golden vision of utopian Britain by the political master-manipulator, Nick Clegg, and for seven years they were held back by perfidious Remainers.

Archived