UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

2 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It looks like it's a bit academic, but I wasn't sure whether that applied when the leader had not lost a no confidence vote (which Boris hasn't done).

Just says the resigning leader i think

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

"Eat Out To Help Out."

Moron.

I definitely think that Rishi correlates his qualifications as PM with he and his wife's net worth rather than his actual ability to govern. It's just so hard for me to imagine Rishi being able to competently deal with the Sword of Damocles that comes from keeping his own party happy, much less the general public. 

Just did a quick read up.

Ben Wallace is not running in the leadership race, but Kemi Badenoch is. That shows the depth of quality of the field the Tory party has, however there's one serious question there.

Who the hell is Kemi Badenoch?

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Didn’t we see that “energy” in the US on 1/6/2021 in the US?  For the record… mobs storming anything makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Okay Susan collins

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I know Mormont said the thread was for everyone (fully agree), but surely the references have to be relevant and obvious? Wtf does this mean? 

Kal tried to impersonate me by taking a more or less friendly dig at scot by likening him to Susan Collins, who is deeply concerned about whatever. 

You didn't miss much in terms of the discussion. Spocky wanted that kind of energy from his video clip in the US, and scot pointed out, that kinda energy was also on display in the US by the (far) right. That's about it. 

So with the new Met Commissioner in place, did you fall up the proverbial career ladder, or business as usual?

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So with the new Met Commissioner in place, did you fall up the proverbial career ladder, or business as usual?

I'm exactly as far from a position of power and 'giving a shit' as i was beforehand. I was excellent at my job when I got paid a salary I thought was appropriate. Now, not so much. 

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Spocky wanted that kind of energy from his video clip in the US, and scot pointed out, that kinda energy was also on display in the US by the (far) right. That's about it. 

Sure, because a spontaneous popular uprising, driven by fear and despair, is exactly the same as a failed, government-led coup d'etat, driven by ego and entitlement.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Sure, because a spontaneous popular uprising, driven by desperation and despair, is EXACTLY the same as a failed, government-led coup d'etat, driven by ego and entitlement.

Not taking sides in this debate, just did a recap for our copper, what this exchange between scot and kal was about. However, if you asked a few of those January 6 yahoos, I think there's a fair chance they will also claim they were angry and desperate. 

Not saying the left in the US could use some of that energy, when they protest against their Supreme Court...

I mean, to be clear the Sri Lankan action worked. The PM resigned. 

Some of that energy when things aren't being fixed otherwise is often exactly what is needed. 

Wife asked me last night if I thought BoJo leaving like this would give us conservatives pause and maybe they'd start behaving better. I commented that it's the converse - that because the US is so stupid the UK is acting a smidgen less stupid.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Just did a quick read up.

Ben Wallace is not running in the leadership race, but Kemi Badenoch is. That shows the depth of quality of the field the Tory party has, however there's one serious question there.

Who the hell is Kemi Badenoch?

I suspect Ben Wallace among others see Johnson’s replacement as doomed at the next GE. They’ll wait until the tories sre electable again

Guardian now reporting it, too.

Funny thing is, they are not even denying the story, but rather dismiss it as irrelevant, as it happened before he became PM.

Also, apparently Bozo is mad at Rishi Rich over how he was ousted. Gonna be fun to see how Bozo and his insane clown posse are gonna tear into Sunak.

Personally, I'd be more Incensed over Zahawi's behaviour. But then again, I am not Bozo the clown.

Anger over new ministerial job for MP accused of asking if alleged Pincher victim was gay

Anger is growing among senior Conservatives over the promotion of an MP criticised for her alleged handling of groping claims made against the former deputy chief whip, Chris Pincher.

One senior Tory said the appointment of Sarah Dines as a justice and home office minister was an “absolutely disgraceful decision”. Dines, who had been an assistant whip, has been accused by one of Pincher’s alleged victims of asking him if he was gay. According to an account from one of the complainants, she is alleged to have said the fact he was gay “doesn’t make it straightforward”.

Promoted, was she? These people make me sick.

9 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Wife asked me last night if I thought BoJo leaving like this would give us conservatives pause

Sometimes it is really worth to invest in capital letters. 

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Guardian now reporting it, too.

Funny thing is, they are not even denying the story, but rather dismiss it as irrelevant, as it happened before he became PM.

Also, apparently Bozo is mad at Rishi Rich over how he was ousted. Gonna be fun to see how Bozo and his insane clown posse are gonna tear into Sunak.

Personally, I'd be more Incensed over Zahawi's behaviour. But then again, I am not Bozo the clown.

Sure, but consider how polished and ready Rishi Sunak's leadership campaign is, it's pretty clear that his knives have been sharpened for this moment in advance. 

It's a low bar to clear but it comes to something when Shapps has immediately become the most favourable candidate to me just by being the only one so far, as far as I can tell, to responding to the culture war bullshit with 'yeah this is bullshit'. 

Archived