UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Where did you see mention of "Checkers"?

In this context it seems likely to be a reference to Richard Nixon's infamous "Checkers speech" when his position as Eisenhower's running mate was threatened by allegations of impropriety.

Assuming he’s ref. Chequers, PMs main country house.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Where did you see mention of "Checkers"?

In this context it seems likely to be a reference to Richard Nixon's infamous "Checkers speech" when his position as Eisenhower's running mate was threatened by allegations of impropriety.

Johnson mentioned the staff at “Checkers” in his speech.

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A Kenney?  BTW what is “Checkers”?

Kenney meaning Jason Kenney, Premier of Alberta. About month ago, he won a leadership contest by an extremely narrow margin, then announced that he was stepping down as Party Leader but will remain on as Premier until they choose a new leader.

I am beyond disappoint.  Wake, turn on pooter, see everywhere blojo RESIGNED!!!!!!!!!.

But no, I remain condemned to see his truly grotty image everywhere, just like romperisto's equally vomit inducing image, who also won't go anywhere except headlines, forever and ever, world until the end, amen.

Worth pointing out that Prime Ministers typically don’t leave immediately; Cameron did because he couldn’t negotiate an EU exit after being publicly against the idea (and saved us all the current hassle by realising that, and leaving the next day), but other than that I think they’ve all either lost elections or held on as caretaker since … the 80’s at least? 

Back in the day leadership elections were all done by the MPs and so were over fairly quickly - for example Heseltine first challenged Thatcher on 14 November 1990, and the contest was done and Major became PM on 28 November.

Just for the record, when I post funny stuff, it's to lighten the mood (and, well, make fun of politicians).

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I read this Twitter thread in hopes of understanding all of this better... it's in English, I think, but I know I'm more confused than ever over how all of this is going down, but not why. British politics, when will there be a West Wing style show for us Yanks to watch in BBC America...?

This probably won't help, but it's funny. Strong language (but with a British accent).

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Worth pointing out that Prime Ministers typically don’t leave immediately; Cameron did because he couldn’t negotiate an EU exit after being publicly against the idea (and saved us all the current hassle by realising that, and leaving the next day), but other than that I think they’ve all either lost elections or held on as caretaker since … the 80’s at least? 

Yeah probably true.

I am not sure about the UK, but here in Canada we had Brian Mulroney resign then get replaced 3 months later by Kim Campbell.

However, we also had Jean Chretien who lost the leadership challenge, then maybe a month later resigned and was replaced by Paul Martin as leader the very next day.

On the news this morning they played a highlight montage of physical bloopers Boris has made over the years. Watching him truck a little kid then fall on his face in a rugby scrimmage is comedy gold. This clown was every bit the joke Trump was before they were elected. We’re two nations of idiots…

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

On the news this morning they played a highlight montage of physical bloopers Boris has made over the years. Watching him truck a little kid then fall on his face in a rugby scrimmage is comedy gold. This clown was every bit the joke Trump was before they were elected. We’re two nations of idiots…

The only reason the public at large ever knew who he was is because political comedy show Have I Got News For You invited him on in the 1990s "as a laugh" and they kept inviting him back because he was such an utter prat and idiot that he made the audience scream with laughter at being so self-unaware.

The presenters have, more than once, formally apologised for this.

52 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

This probably won't help, but it's funny. Strong language (but with a British accent)

Whee!

Very impressed with his ability to string together such a long string of invective, all beginning with 'd' -- and every one true.

Which is the point -- They knew what he was/is, and enabled / put him there to do it.  Just like the reichlican party did romperisto.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

“Special relationship.”

But, and I hesitate to ask this, but who is next and how bad is it?  Like, it’s pretty clear that we have the Robot Satan from the Sunshine State coming through on our end.  He’s frightening because he’s a non-muppet and chillingly competent.  What’s the damage your side?

3 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

“Special relationship.”

But, and I hesitate to ask this, but who is next and how bad is it?  Like, it’s pretty clear that we have the Robot Satan from the Sunshine State coming through on our end.  He’s frightening because he’s a non-muppet and chillingly competent.  What’s the damage your side?

The BBC has done a list of the contenders here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60037657

A minor piece of good news is that Demonic Raab is not going to run

3 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

“Special relationship.”

The best option would be a beige "safe pair of hands" like Jeremy Hunt. He's not a great choice, but better than most of the alternatives.

Liz Truss would probably be Johnson without the infidelity. She'd do well on Ukraine but crap on everything else.

Steve Baker is a climate change-denying conspiracy crackpot who'd try to sell the country off to the highest bidder.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

The best option would be a beige "safe pair of hands" like Jeremy Hunt. He's not a great choice, but better than most of the alternatives.

Liz Truss would probably be Johnson without the infidelity. She'd do well on Ukraine but crap on everything else.

Steve Baker is a climate change-denying conspiracy crackpot who'd try to sell the country off to the highest bidder.

So if you were in the US it means you would get Steve Baker.  I would like to think you all are more thoughtful, which I think means you get Liz?

Archived