Wheel of Time: The 2nd Turning (Book Spoilers Inclusive)

SpaceChampion

I think the sound mix is particularly screwed on standard home audio equipment (which for the overwhelming majority is either the TV speakers or perhaps a cheap-ish soundbar). Watching the first two episodes in IMAX with a superior sound mix, the music was really atmospheric and added to a lot of the scenes. But rewatching those episodes at home, the music was almost completely lost in the mix. Not an unusual situation these days, but particularly notable in this case.

It doesn't help that Balfe chose a low-key score for the show. He'd just done three seasons of excellent, bombastic toe-tappers in His Dark Materials, so I get wanting to shift gears, but it didn't help WoT's issues (comparing the two main themes, WoT's is pretty bland).

On 6/29/2023 at 12:13 PM, IFR said:

I'm pretty sure even within this forum there were several advocates for expanding the potential DR suspects to the women, and also for Nynaeve et al to have their fearsome novice power show at the conclusion of the season. And definitely on reddit and Dragonmount you will find such advocates.

I might have been one of those you remember advocating for the DR hunt including all five. I understood why they thought they had to do it (ar Amazon thought they had to do it). I can't remember exactly how I felt about it at the time, but overall it was fine, even if I didn't think it was necessary. They had to tear down some Rand stuff to hide it and I wasn't a fan of that, but overall to me it's not worth arguing about because I can see both sides, so why spend the time arguing about it?

I also wasn't a fan of the ending, but Karaddin explains it pretty well. I think she's right in that we won't keep escalating the power structure each season, and in fact I think they will dial it down in the form of Nyneave's block. I could be wrong and I will revisit that when needed. I still don't think they told a good story during that part of the show and again - I see both sides of the argument and don't think it's worth further discussion. 

Edited by Gertrude

On 7/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, Gertrude said:

I might have been one of those you remember advocating for the DR hunt including all five. I understood why they thought they had to do it (ar Amazon thought they had to do it). I can't remember exactly how I felt about it at the time, but overall it was fine, even if I didn't think it was necessary. They had to tear down some Rand stuff to hide it and I wasn't a fan of that, but overall to me it's not worth arguing about because I can see both sides, so why spend the time arguing about it?

Why spend time doing anything?;)

It's fun to debate to a certain extent when you have free time. But I agree, it's not really an essential debate, so I usually pop in and discuss until I get bored and move on to something else.

I don't think you can "win" these debates, but I do enjoy reading the retorts and exposing myself to different perspectives (especially those willing to defend a show like WoT, which I consider an atrocity in filmmaking:lol:).

On 7/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, Gertrude said:

I also wasn't a fan of the ending, but Karaddin explains it pretty well. I think she's right in that we won't keep escalating the power structure each season, and in fact I think they will dial it down in the form of Nyneave's block. I could be wrong and I will revisit that when needed. I still don't think they told a good story during that part of the show and again - I see both sides of the argument and don't think it's worth further discussion. 

I would say "I guess we'll see." But I've already seen enough to confirm to myself that no matter what direction the story takes, the writers, in my opinion, have a fundamentally different take on Jordan's story than my take (ie they are wrong). And, frankly, they come off as clumsy writers. Well, Dave Hill seems to be the best of the lot, but I don't see him salvaging this wreck, unfortunately.

But I guess you'll see.

I wouldn't expect this animated film to ever actually happen. "iwot" productions is likely just maintaining their claim on the property rights. They have to announce their producing something to do with WOT every now and then maintain their license, and therefore can milk Amazon for money for the live action series. IWOT was formerly called Red Eagle Productions, those responsible for "Winter Dragon".

12 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I wouldn't expect this animated film to ever actually happen. "iwot" productions is likely just maintaining their claim on the property rights. They have to announce their producing something to do with WOT every now and then maintain their license, and therefore can milk Amazon for money for the live action series. IWOT was formerly called Red Eagle Productions, those responsible for "Winter Dragon".

I didn't know those leeches are still around.

Yeah, they rebranded. They do have some rights to do things, but they also have certain timescales they have to operate in. Those may have expired or are close to doing so. They did appear to jump the gun massively with their Age of Legends prequel project idea two years ago which fizzled out and this is a new attempt to stay in the news.

The whole Rand in Tar Valon thing is getting a bit dodgy. I don't mind Turak's look even if I'm still not that enthused about the overall Seanchan look.

Hopefully they'll have a trailer or clip that focuses on Mat, to give the audience a better glimpse of the new actor.

38 minutes ago, Poobah said:

I'll post proper thoughts when I've had a minute to digest, but I like the upgraded SFX for the weaves.

Ok so some things that jump out:

• Rosamund Pike's delivery is great.
  • As I mentioned before the Channelling VFX looks way better. And in general the shots all look better/more polished/more expensive.
  • I'm ambivalent to whatever song they have playing in this.
  • Nynaeve's Accepted test. The set looks pretty good, as does the image of her staggering out later bleeding.
  • Woman covered in blood - not sure what this is? Maybe it's supposed to be Lanfear awakening? Certainly creepy.
  • Lanfear / "Selene" cozying up to Rand, I'm curious to see how this will play out.
  • Hopper!
  • Very unsure how I feel about the Seanchan costuming. They're leaning real hard into how fucking weird their outfits look, which in fairness is quite in keeping with the canon but still. The damane gag thing I'm just not a fan of period (though again arguably randomly inserting some kink is also in keeping with Jordan :laugh:). Ishamael being seen directly influencing the Seanchan (and as book readers we know Suroth is a Darkfriend too of course) is a very sensible change.
  • I like the increased role in the show for Logain and think a meeting between him and Rand is a good idea, and obviously they want to have Rand meet Siuan as they do in the books but I am a little concerned if they have him go to Tar Valon for it. Perhaps this will be a way to trigger / speed along his irrational distrust of all things Aes Sedai, if Liandrin starts nosing around with her trademark "I just bit in to a lemon" look.
  • With the shot of some Aiel maidens fighting Children of the Light it makes me wonder if it's Aviendha or one of Bain/Chiad in a cage that Perrin will come upon and free instead, I don't know if there's even been an actor cast for Gaul?
  • Presumably Rand literally tied to a wheel is a dream/nightmare, or could it be... perhaps a flicker?

Overall it looks pretty good I would say but I'm certainly still holding my breath to see how things turn out.

Granted it's just a trailer, and trailers often lie, but this does look more cinematic than season one. Hopefully they've taken the criticism to heart about how season one was framed and shot and improved the over all cinematography and direction.

Edited by Myrddin

At 0:22 either that's a Dark Friend Social or all 13 Forsaken meeting around the table.  I would think the later.  Seems the earlier speculation that they had cut down on the number of Forsaken is wrong. 

I assumed it was the "man called Bors" scene, but you're right. It's probably the Chosen Forsaken.

ETA: I wonder if they're going to substitute Logain as Rand's teacher instead of Asmodean. Gives Logain a larger role until the times comes for his return.

Edited by Myrddin

I still don't understand the decisions behind the design of the white tower, and much preferred the version depicted in the Legend game from 1998. 

Otherwise:

Da fuq is with that generic pop song?

Why does it all feel so....grim dark and dire?

What the hell is with the a'dam on the seanchan? It looks like a BDSM ball gag. 

What the hell even is this show?

8 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

At 0:22 either that's a Dark Friend Social or all 13 Forsaken meeting around the table.  I would think the later.  Seems the earlier speculation that they had cut down on the number of Forsaken is wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I assumed it was the "man called Bors" scene, but you're right. It's probably the Chosen Forsaken.

I only count 11 people + an empty chair. So they did cut it down. Poor Asmodean :P

Actually if it is the Forsaken, it makes no sense for their faces to be covered. They all know each other. So the Darkfriend social or the Black Ajah Council makes more sense to me. But this show doesn't have that much sense, so what do I know.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I only count 11 people + an empty chair. So they did cut it down. Poor Asmodean :P

Actually if it is the Forsaken, it makes no sense for their faces to be covered. They all know each other. So the Darkfriend social or the Black Ajah Council makes more sense to me. But this show doesn't have that much sense, so what do I know.

I had thought the empty chair was occupied, so there is only 12 there, because Ishamael is standing behind the empty chair.  I think it's Lanfear missing from the meeting.

They might all be in entirely new bodies and don't want to reveal their faces to each other yet until they've established their power bases.  Otherwise they might start killing each other to become Naeblis.

Edited by SpaceChampion