Wheel of Time: The 2nd Turning (Book Spoilers Inclusive)

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

To be fair the show only has one actor for Lanfear/Selene so she needs to behave a bit differently than young, innocent book Selene.

Yes, being relatively subtle is also a good thing. Makes it more believable Rand has a thing for her, including an emotional attachment that can hamper him later.

Inside the Wheel of time. Interview with costumer and make up artist, also a scene at the White Tower with Eg and Nyn training. Excellent scene and I think the costumes look pretty damn good. It's fairly long, but they show images as they are talking and Rand might make an appearance in a certain coat.

https://www.amazon.com/live/broadcast/1d8c7107-36d4-4b12-a5c9-e3f6de910fe6

Edited by Gertrude

I don't quite understand how they go from commenting that the Cairhienin nobility wear dark colors to the party looking like the high society of the Capitol in Hunger Games, all in pastels and at least one lady in a surprisingly modern-looking blazer. They looked more early 20th century than 18th century French. The Victorian influence in their daywear was clear enough, as was the Japanese, and that was more interesting (though the lady with the umbrella and purse seemed decidedly out of place). 

It's strange that they are aware how much people care for faithfulness, re: Rand's coat, and then just do what they feel like rather than trying to work more in  the constraints of what Jordan described regarding the dress of some of these societies. The rank stripes, for example, seem to have vanished entirely from Cairhienin clothing.

50 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's strange that they are aware how much people care for faithfulness, re: Rand's coat, and then just do what they feel like rather than trying to work more in  the constraints of what Jordan described regarding the dress of some of these societies. The rank stripes, for example, seem to have vanished entirely from Cairhienin clothing.

I'm not fussed. I'd rather they use their own interpretation to bring the costuming to life. If they had stuck to the page description, There would be very little Japanese influence outside the military, but that seems to be a change everyone likes. RJ had detailed descriptions, but let's be honest, it wasn't his area of expertise. I could never wrap my head around the description of horizontal slashes in the clothing. Vertical slashes I get because there are historical examples, but horizontal made no sense to me because structurally it would be difficult to pull off, so I just never pictured it in my head and moved on. I have always hated the description of the gleeman's cloak in the books. The idea was cool, but I could never picture it and not one single piece of fan art over the years made it look less than clownish to me. The lining of Thom's coat in the show was perfect for me. The Amerlyn's stole always look ridiculous to me as well. 

Anyway, it's kind of like hiring an actor to play a part - you want to make sure to give them a juicy role to pull in the good ones (adding Moiraine material to season 2, emotional Lan scenes so Henney doesn't get bored playing a stone face). If you want good costumes, you give them a little freedom to get inspired within the lines.

Rand's coat is iconic and I am glad they did it more book faithful. But I also love seeing different interpretations of what French/Japanese fusion looks like. To me the important bit is not the details, but the feel. The pastels instead of dark clothing is the strongest point I think, because the dark color translates into severity and being proper and buttoned up. However, if they show that instead through their behavior, I am satisfied.

Edited by Gertrude

10 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

But I also love seeing different interpretations of what French/Japanese fusion looks like.

What they've basically recreated is Japonisme, not done something actually new, though it may well be new to some who haven't come across it.

Imagine if trade with Japan had happened a century earlier -- what would that have looked like, Japanese textiles and patterns entering Europe in the 18th century? I've no idea, but that'd be new! And a fair attempt at interpreting what's there. Instead they got lazy and went overtly modern in the formal wear, and recreated Japonisme for the day wear. 

And yeah, I don't get the pastels at all when they literally say they're aware of the dark colors. It's just odd. There's so many beautiful textiles from Japan or in the style of Japanese textiles that can be quite dark, with a lot of complexity to them. 

I’m looking forward to season two. I watched all of s1 and for the most part enjoyed it. Way more then the mess what was ring of power which I tuned out after three episodes. Feels to me at least that the creators for WoT had a lot more fondness and familiarity with the work than whomever ran RoP. Sure it didn’t have the production value but Covid was somewhat to blame. After Witcher took a nose dive as well it seems to me this will be the best fantasy series on tv.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

I thought it was premiering tomorrow, but it is up now!

Amazon always posts new episodes the evening before here in the US because their shows premiere everywhere in the world at the same time.

I just finished my re-watch of season 1 and I have extremely low expectations.

So I was pretty pleased so far. Had some really good scenes I thought. I feel overloaded right now and need to sort my thoughts, but one stupid little detail made me so happy - 

ep 3

Spoiler

When Mat was lying dead in Nyneave's test, his eye was put out! It's the little things :p

Edited by Gertrude

6 hours ago, Gertrude said:

So I was pretty pleased so far. Had some really good scenes I thought. I feel overloaded right now and need to sort my thoughts, but one stupid little detail made me so happy - 

ep 3

Reveal hidden contents

When Mat was lying dead in Nyneave's test, his eye was put out! It's the little things :p

How is new Mat?

52 minutes ago, Rhom said:

How is new Mat?

I liked him. I can' t say I miss the old Matt much even though he was superb in the role. I feel like the new Matt also has some playfulness in him that is characteristic for the book character we know.

I watched the first three episodes and while I am pleased, the fact that this show has no base, no foundation, is still irking me. It's like "the blind leading the blind" situation where we know nothing about how the their world function because most of time, the characters are clueless. I suppose they wanted to evade exposition or to add to the mystery, but I am not sold on it. 

Spoiler

Loved Moiraine's plot in first two episodes. Rosamund Pike nailed every one of those tormented Moiraine scenes. 

I love Archers chapters in the books, but I think focusing an entire episode around them is a bit too much.

Daughter-heir of Andor has finally arrived. She is so cute and wonderful. And I love how she quickly changed her vibe with Sheriam, calmly accepting the punishment.

Not thrilled with Perrin's story, but that may be some recidivism from the books.

Rand in Cairhien... I hope more games will follow. Expected to meet a Damodred at some point. I thought Rand working in an mental health institution in Cairhien was a nice touch. That said, not exactly thrilled Aes Sedai would release Logain, but - we have no foundation, so we are in "anything can happen" mode. 

Only watched the first two episodes but it's a big jump up from Season 1, especially the ending, and the way they are blending Books 2 and 3 together is interesting.

I think maybe there's a degree of proximity to the source material that is very uncomfortable for me and the start and ending of Season 1 was in that place where it's too close to the source to do its own thing but too far away to be a faithful adaptation, but as soon as the show moves further out of that range and is doing its own thing with like occasionally characters showing up with the same name as a character in the books and once in a blue moon things happen from the books, that's kind of a bonus. GoT hit that spot for me towards late Season 2, WoT seems to have been faster into that zone.

Reading the reviews (currently at a 69 on metacritic), it does seem like people who want to see an adaptation of The Wheel of Time series that may make mild deviations but overall is faithful (like most of Game of Thrones) will be disappointed. But those who are fine with chucking Robert Jordan's story out the window and want to have fun with a campy original story that makes the occasional homage and reference to Jordan's works will enjoy it.

I have a friend who really wants to watch season 2, and I've been persuaded to give it a go. I think alcohol and accepting it as a bad movie night sort of affair will perhaps make it a positive experience.

Edited by IFR