Wheel of Time: The 2nd Turning (Book Spoilers Inclusive)

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

On the one hand, it's a well produced scene. On the other, it's a lengthy scene that really doesn't add much to the over all story. There is so much to be cut from the books, why add a little girl and a lecture about monsters?

Other than perhaps the girl being a "tell" later that a darkfriend is near.

It is a nice scene. I like the more philosophical, seductive portrayal of Ishamael. It's much more in line with how Jordan wrote him in the world book and later as Moridin than the cartoon devil from the early books. In terms of what it does for the story it's a pretty cute way to introduce the mystery of who could be a darkfriend with the girl serving as the perspective seeing the little details under the anon black robes that give away who some of these people are / could be in the place of "Bors" at the start of TGH. We see the nails of a Seanchan (Suroth), the emblem of Shienar (hi Ingtar), a great serpent ring (probably Liandrin), a Tinker outfit (unknown?), a whitecloak outfit (Carridin?), and... not sure about the others as they aren't as prominent, but I'm sure it will drive speculation for show-only fans.

Who knows. I do think this is kind of their 'mystery box' for this season. We see distinguishing details about people but not their faces. I feel like they want us to keep second guessing who is going to end up being the darkfriend. Like we're supposed to think it's Masema cause he's so severe but surprise! I think the pics we've seen of Suroth and the 'Dark One' walking together and the distinctive nails means that's the gimme, but we've got a generic Tinker, Sheinaran, Aes Sedai and I think Whitecloak (going off what others have picked up). ooOOoooohh who's the bad guy?

Edited by Gertrude

So basically season 3 of Battlestar Galactica? :lol:

*cue All Along the Watchtower

No, that makes sense, Gertrude. Open question about who can be trusted.

Season 3 of WoT will showcase Mat pondering the question "Who is a hero?" followed adamant denials while saving everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

No bold, hooked nose or tilted eyes, which I'm surprised by because this meant they could have cast their nets quite widely, but otherwise she looks like a good choice in physical terms. Limited filmography, can't say I've seen her in anything.

On 7/26/2023 at 10:33 PM, Corvinus85 said:

How have you pictured Cairhienin fashion?

By reading Moiraine's detailed inner critique of her seamstresses scandalous gowns, and her descriptions (spread over 20 gowns) of what she considers sane Cairheinin fashion, and what she considers too ostentatious.

But Moiraine is also a somewhat different Cairheinin than the court morons we meet later. She defied the Amyrlin seat to give up the throne of Cairhein, and seems to loathe the open ostentation of the rest of her family. So her dress seems appropriate.

Might even match the description of the specific riding dresses she had tailored, but that would be expecting too much from a show that converted a neck collar into a ball gag because let's get even more unsubtle.

I'll probably wait to see some spoiler free takes for a few episodes from you all before dipping back into this shitty turning of the Wheel. 

Failed casting 

Not a bad choice, but my mental picture of Faile has always been this Bollywood actor, so I never expected them to succeed too much with the casting.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Mhd7aufYcjPKj2i57

Edited by fionwe1987

Character posters here: https://press.amazonstudios.com/us/en/press-release/prime-video-releases-seven-new-character-posters-f

Min is with Matt, so he will probably escape from Tar Valon with her.

All in all, the trailers/teasers for S2 so far look solid. Looking forward to the opening of the season in early september.

Overall, I am not THAT against anything seen so far. Perhaps Lanfear, but she was always the most difficult to cast. I hoped for a bit more experienced actors, as I feel Amazon has the issue with that on both its fantasy series. But, it remains to be see how much of Rosamund Pike and Sophie Okonedo we'll get plus whether the youngsters are more comfortable in their roles. Overall, I love artistry of the show. It's a bit too much, but so was Jordan. Moiraine's costume is really beautiful, although the poster looks a bit weird due to perspective.

If I were casting director, I would have picked Sophie Turner for Elaine. And that is solely that I started reading Jordan's books when "Game of Thrones" began and somehow, in my mind, there was always a mental and visual link between Sansa and Elayne. But, it was always a pipe dream in terms of casting. That said, Ceara looks perfect for the role and I wish her all the luck.

I don't know how much people talked about music, but I love Lorne Balfe's music for the series. I am looking forward to listening more great music. Personal favorites: "Aes Sedai", "Al'Naito", "Reunited" and "Like a Raging Sun". And I have enjoyed the covers of "Weep for Manetheren" and "The Man Who Can't Forget". 

My wife (non-book fan) and I just rewatched season 1. I enjoyed it more this time. Some of the pacing and staging that really bothered me the first time through barely registered. And aside from the time spent on the grieving Warder, the changes from the book felt smoother.

Given that season 2 will be even more of a shuffle of characters and storylines as they seem to have merged two books, I hope I'll be able to shut my book mind off and enjoy it for what it is. Another retelling of the Wheel.

On 8/22/2023 at 3:00 AM, Gertrude said:

I don't think she's that good of an actress, sadly.

Oh, certainly. It was just the mental connection I had in my had. It works in sometimes strange ways :D

Edited by Mladen

Well I guess they're fucking in the show lol. It makes sense

ETA: There's nothing in that clip, they're just acting very intimate in a way I find hard to think they aren't

Edited by karaddin