Wheel of Time: The 2nd Turning (Book Spoilers Inclusive)

SpaceChampion

Aside from Perrin's group* no one else is moving at the moment so the map issue shouldn't be too bad. They didn't make it at all clear that Rand is in Cairhien if you don't know the culture or the environs of the city but I don't know that it actually means anything to you if you don't know the culture of Cairhien yet anyway - I'll wait to see if they make it clear at a point it's more plot relevant to show only viewers.

*I was completely forgetting Moiraine etc. They are stationary in the first ep but I have no idea where that estate is located in the show or how long it's going to take them to get to the White Tower aside from being near the river still.

One thing you have to give GoT credit for was a phenomenal title sequence that actually gave useful information for the episode.

38 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Aside from Perrin's group* no one else is moving at the moment so the map issue shouldn't be too bad. They didn't make it at all clear that Rand is in Cairhien if you don't know the culture or the environs of the city but I don't know that it actually means anything to you if you don't know the culture of Cairhien yet anyway - I'll wait to see if they make it clear at a point it's more plot relevant to show only viewers.

It was made pretty clear. Can't check at the moment but it was either Lanfear or the woman Rand was talking to at the soiree that during conversation geolocated Al'Thor.

Edited by JGP

3 minutes ago, JGP said:

It was made pretty clear. Can't check at the moment but it was either Lanfear or the woman Rand was talking to at the soiree that during conversation geolocated Al'Thor.

I thought they just referred to the Foregate without specifying what it was the Foregate to. That and the references to the game are enough for us to know it's Cairhien, but not someone that knows nothing about Cairhien. If they actually said it directly then I just missed it and I'm wrong lol.

53 minutes ago, karaddin said:

One thing you have to give GoT credit for was a phenomenal title sequence that actually gave useful information for the episode.

I wish this show would integrate some kind of map, as what I have in my head from the books is clearly very different from what they're showing on screen and even I've gotten lost once or twice. I still have no idea where the myrddraal fight scene in episode 2 took place. 

Edited by IlyaP

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I thought they just referred to the Foregate without specifying what it was the Foregate to. That and the references to the game are enough for us to know it's Cairhien, but not someone that knows nothing about Cairhien. If they actually said it directly then I just missed it and I'm wrong lol.

Now that I thought about it I believe it was the lady Rand was talking to, and while she didn't put a pin on the map she talked about the Cairhienian [ean?] nobles' penchant for indifference, how the Great Hunt is used to control citizenry et others [like those in the Foregate] etc. 

On another note, I'm somewhat glad I decided to give SII a try. Room for more, but lots of improvement over SI for me.

Edited by JGP

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I wish this show would integrate some kind of map, as what I have in my head from the books is clearly very different from what they're showing on screen and even I've gotten lost once or twice. I still have no idea where the myrddraal fight scene in episode 2 took place. 

Like, 5 minutes away from Tar Valon yo! :p

51 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The text that appeared in episode 2 when the city was shown said Foregate, Cairhien. The look of the city was enough for me with the towers that are still under construction. 

I watched episode 2. Unlike most others here, I don't find the season to have had any significant improvements over season 1 except in the visuals department.

All the characters have been changed from their book version to a certain degree, some more than others, and I don't see any of these changes to be for the good.

New Mat is probably the closest to his book counterpart, but that vision...

Spoiler

Is Mat taking Fain's place in nearly killing Rand? WT.F Fain certainly overstayed his presence in the books, Jordan should have killed him off after the cleansing of saidin, but I was hopeful the show would do something interesting with him.

So on Fain

Spoiler

While some of the scenes we've seen related to the hunt for the Horn are similar to the book, like the Fade nailed to the barn door, it doesn't jive with other stuff we've seen about Fain. Fain ended season 1 and began season 2 still a Darkfriend. So another change from his character in the book.

Not a fan of show Perrin and his failure in this episode... smh.

Spoiler

Two Seanchan soldiers sneak in the room where a guy with wolf senses sleeps and surprise him. What is this show doing?

The Moiraine-Lan conflict is annoying, and I feel it came too soon. Verin, OTOH, has been pretty good, though I'm not sure about combining her with Vandene, by making Adeleas her sister. 

Spoiler

Does that mean Adeleas is a Darkfriend, too? :dunno:

For all the many flaws of season 1, it had a purpose from the start with Moiraine trying to determine who the DR was and attempting to safeguard her candidates. Season 2 feels directionless after the first two episodes - the hunt for the Horn should have been more front and center, because they did establish the Horn's importance, but with so many characters split up, that can't happen. Plus it would have been a chance for the show to create a meaningful travel log that explored more of the world and the nations, instead of teleporting the hunters to Toman's Head. (yes, I know there is irony in me saying this, considering the book) And under what authority are those Shienarans chasing the Horn? Didn't Agelmar die at the end of season 1? And his sister, too. I guess it's happening because the book had it. 

Maybe episode 3 improves the plot, but I'm close to quitting.

Edited by Corvinus85

15 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Is that where the little Italian villa is as well?

Yeah, that fight was only a very short distance from the villa. I think the villa might be a little further than 5 minutes from Tar Valon, but it's "nearby". I'd guess somewhere between 2 and 5 days based on not much lol.

Not conveying the passage of time very well is another fair criticism of season 1 and that's tied up in not giving a good idea of distance or geography either. Working backwards we can work out that s1 took place over 7 months (5 months between seasons and it's a year from the Trolloc attack) and you could reasonably think it was only a couple of weeks.

13 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Not conveying the passage of time very well is another fair criticism of season 1 and that's tied up in not giving a good idea of distance or geography either.

A friend said Watch Hill was mentioned when making fun of Uno, which I confess I missed. And if this here long-time WoT Fan Boi can miss it and then know where they are, what chance does the casual viewer have? GoT wisely used maps in the intro, even though HoD didn't (nor Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves), so I assume there's enough education among viewers who also watched, I dunno, the Witcher, to just go with it and not need a map. 

But I wouldn't mind one myself, as my attention span is just awfu---

Oh hey a shiny thing!

My first thought about Min's vision of Mat is that Mat will be fulfilling his promise to Rand. When they saw Logain, Mat told Rand to promise they won't let each other become that. Rand doesn't seem to be resisting in the vision. I don't know if they could pull that off because in my mind it's not playing out that well, but obviously what we are seeing is not what we think we are seeing (Mat maliciously trying to murder Rand.)

Edited by Gertrude

Based on the accompanying map in the episode extras, Perrin's group are on Toman Head, Rand is in Cairhien and Moiraine and Lan are at Verin and Adeleas's villa in Arafel. Agreed they could make that clearer in the show.

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Hide contents

Is Mat taking Fain's place in nearly killing Rand? WT.F Fain certainly overstayed his presence in the books, Jordan should have killed him off after the cleansing of saidin, but I was hopeful the show would do something interesting with him.

Pretty sure this refers to the scene in TGH where Mat sees versions of his future where he betrays Rand. 

So on Fain

Hide contents

While some of the scenes we've seen related to the hunt for the Horn are similar to the book, like the Fade nailed to the barn door, it doesn't jive with other stuff we've seen about Fain. Fain ended season 1 and began season 2 still a Darkfriend. So another change from his character in the book.

But

Spoiler

Fain was a Darkfriend in the books. Ingtar and other Darkfriends helped fain escape in the books too. He plays along as a Darkfriend till he escapes, then he takes control and heads in an unexpected direction with the Horn. 

Not a fan of show Perrin and his failure in this episode... smh.

Hide contents

Two Seanchan soldiers sneak in the room where a guy with wolf senses sleeps and surprise him. What is this show doing?

To be fair

Spoiler

He's not in touch with his powers now, so that isn't totally bonkers. But it was annoying, for sure, that Elyas had no warning either. 

The Moiraine-Lan conflict is annoying, and I feel it came too soon.

Agreed. 

Verin, OTOH, has been pretty good, though I'm not sure about combining her with Vandene, by making Adeleas her sister. 

Hide contents

Does that mean Adeleas is a Darkfriend, too? :dunno:

Spoiler

Yeah this is going to be an issue, but Adeleas does at the hands of the Black Ajah, and it could be they'd kill her off early, like they did with Uno.

For all the many flaws of season 1, it had a purpose from the start with Moiraine trying to determine who the DR was and attempting to safeguard her candidates. Season 2 feels directionless after the first two episodes - the hunt for the Horn should have been more front and center, because they did establish the Horn's importance, but with so many characters split up, that can't happen. Plus it would have been a chance for the show to create a meaningful travel log that explored more of the world and the nations, instead of teleporting the hunters to Toman's Head. (yes, I know there is irony in me saying this, considering the book) And under what authority are those Shienarans chasing the Horn? Didn't Agelmar die at the end of season 1? And his sister, too. I guess it's happening because the book had it. 

Maybe episode 3 improves the plot, but I'm close to quitting.

The plot here is clearly the temptation and turning of the Two Rivers gang. Which is the core of books 2 and 3, which are otherwise very broad and happen all over the place, too. 

Episode 3 was interesting. I'm still not saying this is a great adaptation of the books, but at least the show story on it's own is starting to get some cohesion.

Edited by fionwe1987

31 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Verin calling Adeleas "sister" doesn't mean she's a biological sister.  Isn't it more likely she was talking about their sisterhood as Aes Sedai?  Y'all looking for things to jump on.

The extras info on Prime confirms they are biological. And they did cast actors of the same ethnicity.

39 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Fain

The most bothersome part for me was

Spoiler

That he was at Ishamael's Darkfriend council. Surely Ishamael would have realized something was off about Fain, but only if the show follows the book in that regard. And in Fal Dara, Fain was completely unhinged in the books, while at the end of season 1 he was calm and measured. I think the show is going to have Fain corrupted by the dagger, seeing as how we didn't see anything of Mordeth.