Football: Més que un thread - all boarders have been registered to post

A Horse Named Stranger

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I can only guess who Rangnick might have been referring to. Maybe some have left already, but I'd also include Ronaldo, Martial, Van de Beek, Dalot, Wan Bissaka and De Gea. Obviously Fred and McTominay would need replacing down the line too as they are incredibly unsuited to the type of football Ten Hag wants to implement.

On paper those all look like great players. Part of me still thinks with the right structure around them they could do a lot better. Even Fred has looked good at points. 

It says a lot about where VDB is that the manager who gave him his break in the first place is not only not starting him but leaving him on the bench and bringing on Scott McTominay when he needs someone to grasp some control of the midfield.

Fred and McTominay are both absolutely fine for what they are but neither of them is either a defensive midfielder nor a great passer (Fred obviously better there than McTominay). They'd do fine with a dedicated DM behind them letting them go box-to-box and shuttle the ball about, but in our case especially now you'd still want that role to be filled by an out-and-out passer. Both will do well when they eventually move on, probably to Everton and West Ham.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

On paper those all look like great players. Part of me still thinks with the right structure around them they could do a lot better. Even Fred has looked good at points. 

Yeah, and this comes back to the point I made about a much more serious issue at United that goes beyond just making a signing or two. The current crop of players should be performing much better but the attitude and commitment of this squad stinks. They can't be arsed to even do the bare minimum i.e. matching the work rate of the opponent.

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You forgot PJ4. 

Not really because Jones is a non factor. He doesn't even play any more than a handful of games anyway. Besides, he's so horribly injury prone that he's become unsellable. Nobody even wants to take a chance on him on loan. United can only wait until his contract runs out.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, and this comes back to the point I made about a much more serious issue at United that goes beyond just making a signing or two. The current crop of players should be performing much better but the attitude and commitment of this squad stinks. They can't be arsed to even do the bare minimum i.e. matching the work rate of the opponent.

It's what Arsenal had to do. You need to clean it out, reset the culture and build the squad based on a plan, looking for certain players who have qualities that match the system you want to play. That's the only way you'll get consistency. I don't know EtH's system but I know Arteta's would never work without the right technical players in the right spots and years of working in it. They fired Emery cause he had no set plan or vision and it turned out to be the right move for the long term. It's just not a quick fix and as we've seen with Arsenal, will take many transfer windows.

Arteta cleaned house. And the eighteen players that remained last January were left in no doubt that they were the manager's guys.

The boss comes across really well in AoN, and I have no doubt that these kids will run through walls for him. I think we've hit the jackpot. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

While nobody really knows why he's a starter.when we have better players available, Fred does well playing for Brazil- in a shocking turn of events, turns out Casemiro is a better central midfield partner than McTominay

Archived