Video Games- At least 2023 looks like a banger

Fez

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Been playing a bunch of Persona 5 Royal since it dropped on PC Gamepass. I like it a lot, but I haven't decided yet how it compares to Persona 4 Golden. I love the style of the game, and there are several QoL improvements that I like. Also, I've only done one palace so far, but it was far better than the generic hallways that P4G's TV shows had. And the first villain was wonderfully awful (although I wish the game clarified just how awful he was:

Hide contents

It seemed to suggest several times that Kamoshida was sexually abusing, and possibly even raping, students. But then at the end of his arc the dialog just kept going with the much lower "sexual harassment" accusation.

).

But I'm not particularly enjoying 2 of the first 3 party members at all, which is a major downer. And it seems to be even harder to get anywhere close to seeing all the content without a guide. In P4G, I didn't use a guide and only missed maxing one social link. I suspect I'll be way further from the mark here. But maybe I'm overestimating the calendar crunch.

Spoiler

Yes, Kamoshida is most certainly presented as a rapist. I haven't gotten to the end of the first palace yet (I just need to send the calling card), but it's disappointing if that isn't acknowledged.

As for the party members... Sakamoto makes me want to die. Not only does he need to have everything explained to him twenty times, but otherwise he just says "you son of a bitch!!!" over and over. I hope we both get new party members soon...

As for the calendar crunch, I'm just going into it knowing that I won't get everything I want. I think it'll take some of the fun out of it if I min-max everything.

6 minutes ago, dog-days said:

And it's still with Eidos-Montréal. Glad to hear it will continue. 

Well...maybe. It's in a very early stage, the voice actor for Jensen hasn't been contacted at all. I want it so badly to be true and come out and be awesome but I am concerned that if they're doing planning early like this it's likely they're doing it not as a sequel to HR and MD but as its own new thing - because if it were a sequel they already had plenty of planning and ideas around where that was going. 

3 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Well...maybe. It's in a very early stage, the voice actor for Jensen hasn't been contacted at all. I want it so badly to be true and come out and be awesome but I am concerned that if they're doing planning early like this it's likely they're doing it not as a sequel to HR and MD but as its own new thing - because if it were a sequel they already had plenty of planning and ideas around where that was going. 

In that case, will just try and forget about it until (or if, given the turbulence of the games industry) it's released and reviewed. 

It's crazy how much nostalgia influences my enjoyment of old video games. I mentioned Zelda II before, but as soon as I got past the point that always stumped me as a kid (damn maze island!) I lost interest. 

I'm experiencing something similar with the Gamecube Fire Emblem game. I first played it in college when I borrowed it from a friend, but he took it back before I could finish it. I've replayed it a few times since but never gotten past the point I did the first time. I looked it up and I'm only like five missions from the end. But with so much to play why spend time on something I'm not enjoying anymore? 

I'm really continuously baffled and frustrated with how crazy good my team in Dead by Daylight is when I'm trying out a new killer in a custom match against them and need 5 generators to hook someone, if I even manage to down anyone and then when we go to public matches, we die EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. Miserably, usually with only one or two generators done, because we are in a constant death spiral of unhooking and getting downed, with no one except me caring about generators and I'm usually the one getting hooked first and then quickly die because of repeated unsafe unhooks anyway.

Yesterday was again particularly bad because MMR seemed to be in our favor for a change and yet we couldn't take any advantage out of it. We died MISERABLY against two Dredges who never used lockers, a Legion who rarely used frenzy and a baby Nemesis without any perks. Then I tried out Legion against the others after I had just accumulated enough shards for him and couldn't get a single down before they escaped and each time I started frenzy, there either was nobody else around or there was someone just waiting at a pallet who stunned me and immediately stopped the frenzy. And when I started to chase them normally, they just looped me forever or made me loose sight of them while everywhere around me gens popped.

They ARE ludicrously good and I know I AM ludicrously bad and... I just want to give up. I have tried liking this game for two months now, wasted so much time on it, but I can't get myself to find any fun in getting shat on every fucking game.

It's also interesting to learn that their strategy at the start of the game has been always to stick as closely as possible to the strongest loop, while I was out doing generators pretty much where I was starting, so obviously the killer has an easier time just whacking me down while I desperately try to make my way to somewhere safer. Meanwhile they can just instantly disappear when trouble comes their way. The thing is... of course I could try doing the same, but that needs so much map knowledge I don't really care to learn. And even if I by accident do, the Killers still just instantly mindgame me or I am just a second too slow to take advantage of stuff and get downed anyway.

So I finally finished Elden Ring a 2nd time in NG+. The final two bosses are really no fun if you are a mediocre player. I got like one tactic that works well which is kinda frustrating as I prefer to switch things up. I tried some co-op and damn everybody I joined so far got slaughtered by Radagon.

I have a lot of different lower level characters because I really enjoy the early game the most and tried different playstyles.

I think I will repaly Cyberpunk now. I did enjoy it a lot despite it's flaws back when it came out.

Fallout New Vegas is free on GOG if you have Amazon Prime Gaming I just noticed. I got the remastered version of StarCraft recently through it and I suspect a few more good games will drop while they try to get it going. Worth a look once per month if you have prime anyway. I'm still claiming games on epic although my library is actually far bigger my steam library. Played 0 games there though. I actually still play some of the free Origin games I got back in the day because they gave a lot of old Westwood games away.

67 hours later, the journey across the Andromeda Galaxy has come to an end. Mass Effect: Andromeda is a game with a lot of heart, love, and affection for its cast of misfits and explorers from the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy. The inter-character banter left me laughing as hard as the finest moments in Mass Effect 2 (looking at you, Moridin!), and constantly astonished at the marvellous vistas the team at Bioware Montreal kept unveiling.

It's a game that's bursting at the seams with activities, tasks, systems, and side stories. Hopefully Bioware will one day revisit this setting, so we can find out how the Andromeda system and the Angara fare with the political ramifications of the Archon's decisions back on the Kett homeworld of Sarhesen.

I've had a lot of fun with this game - having a modern PC certainly helps. John Paesano's score was appropriately ambient whilst still finding ways of referring to Jack Wall's iconic scores, and the sound design, color grading, and general ambience were astonishing. The 2022 version of the game is a wonderful - if potentially overly-long - gaming experience (it took me a month, gamingly mostly on Saturdays and Sundays for 5-6 hours a day, to finish the game). 

On 11/6/2022 at 7:52 AM, IlyaP said:

67 hours later, the journey across the Andromeda Galaxy has come to an end. Mass Effect: Andromeda is a game with a lot of heart, love, and affection for its cast of misfits and explorers from the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy. The inter-character banter left me laughing as hard as the finest moments in Mass Effect 2 (looking at you, Moridin!), and constantly astonished at the marvellous vistas the team at Bioware Montreal kept unveiling.

It's a game that's bursting at the seams with activities, tasks, systems, and side stories. Hopefully Bioware will one day revisit this setting, so we can find out how the Andromeda system and the Angara fare with the political ramifications of the Archon's decisions back on the Kett homeworld of Sarhesen.

I've had a lot of fun with this game - having a modern PC certainly helps. John Paesano's score was appropriately ambient whilst still finding ways of referring to Jack Wall's iconic scores, and the sound design, color grading, and general ambience were astonishing. The 2022 version of the game is a wonderful - if potentially overly-long - gaming experience (it took me a month, gamingly mostly on Saturdays and Sundays for 5-6 hours a day, to finish the game). 

Andromeda is a solid and very interesting game, lots of great ideas and some interesting characters. I get the idea of it being a letdown after the epic story of the trilogy (dodgy ending included), but I did like the idea of a completely different approach, a smaller-scaled story and less impressive enemies. The bitching that the Kett (aka the Bio-Borg) were a letdown after the Reapers was ridiculous: creating an enemy tougher and more powerful than the Reapers would be flat-out impossible, and cartoonishly stupid if they'd tried.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Andromeda is a solid and very interesting game, lots of great ideas and some interesting characters. I get the idea of it being a letdown after the epic story of the trilogy (dodgy ending included), but I did like the idea of a completely different approach, a smaller-scaled story and less impressive enemies. The bitching that the Kett (aka the Bio-Borg) were a letdown after the Reapers was ridiculous: creating an enemy tougher and more powerful than the Reapers would be flat-out impossible, and cartoonishly stupid if they'd tried.

And who's to say where the story was going?  The Kett were no worse than the Geth in the first game.  Really looked like there was a good Sci-Fi story being set up with the mysteries of what had happened to the planets.  Who originated the Kett.  Lots of solid places they could have grown from there.  Mostly, I'm still just upset that fan backlash cost us the Quarian Ark DLC.

In the midst of an indie-Metrodvania bonanza, I've been getting into Ghost Song. 

Took me a little bit to get into the swing of it, because frankly there are certain choices that smack of 'one guy developing an indie might miss a trick', like the jump mechanics being just a bit out of key with the environment and the lack of save points early in the early running meaning there's a lot of going over old ground until you reach a certain breakthrough and suddenly they're fucking everywhere. 

But chew threw those, and so far at least there's an excellent little game in here. It's fun coz there's some very obvious Hollow Knight inspiration but the game was on kickstarter five years before HK came out. So the developer's obviously seen it and reworked his own game heavily to take some ideas, but equally obviously it was also originally clearly on the Metroid half of the Metroidvania so it meshes the two inspirations nicely.

It's particularly appreciated on the atmosphere where he's gone from just straight Metroid - so, basically, Alien- to this more surreal sort of tone we've got now.  

Not sure if the news surrounding Disco Elysium's studio and creative team has been discussed in this thread before but here's an update/press release from two of the main creatives.

Why is it that Microsoft of all companies suck so badly at backwards compatibility?

Years ago I bought Forza Horizon 3 for a few bucks in a sale, but soon found out that it runs like a slide show on my laptop. Instead of refunding, I ended up keeping the game, thinking to just go play it later once I get a better PC.

That day has come this week, because unfortunately my laptop that by now has been only held together by duct tape after I involuntarily used it as a sleigh to slide down a flight of stairs (I hadn't seen there were two steps missing and the laptop was in my backpack) has now finally croaked. So I was forced to buy myself a new PC. And thought to gloriously make it prove its mettle by running Forza Horizon 3.

Well, fuck me, it refuses to start on Windows 11 and googling around, people say even Forza Horizon 4 is impossible to run on Windows 11.

Are you shitting me, Microsoft? This is YOUR freaking game? How is this, I can run stuff from the early 2000s just fine with just a few compatibility tweaks and yet your own flagship racing game series has so shitty programming it can't run one operating system generation later?!?

Fuck you! I won't buy any Microsoft game ever. This is bullshit!

Archived