Most satisfying moments in ASOIAF history ?

On 10/27/2022 at 1:43 PM, Mourning Star said:

It is perhaps a very basic answer, but I think I have to go with:

Ser Waymar met him bravely. "Dance with me then." He lifted his sword high over his head, defiant. His hands trembled from the weight of it, or perhaps from the cold. Yet in that moment, Will thought, he was a boy no longer, but a man of the Night's Watch.

Ironically, Waymar—standing in front of the “great rock” of obsidian —-is starring into a black mirror at himself. Seeing the white shadow he bravely fights until his sword breaks and a shard, of frozen fire,  from the rock pierces his eye.

10 minutes ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

I'm grasping because I want to find any meaning in Rhaenys' completely unnecessary death, but Rhaenys burning Aegon II infertile, guaranteeing he would have no heirs and that his dynasty was doomed, is very satisfying to me.

He already had heirs at this point though, I believe 2 of his 3 children were still alive. And Aemond and Daeron were still alive.

5 minutes ago, King Maegor the Cool said:

He already had heirs at this point though, I believe 2 of his 3 children were still alive. And Aemond and Daeron were still alive.

Yeah but not for long, and he couldn't have any more. And Aemond and Daeron weren't from his dynasty, I would have been fine with either of them being king. 

Arya running the Tickler through, and later, cutting the throat of Raff the Sweetling.

Tyrion shooting Tywin on the crapper. It was fun, too, to see him feed Nurse some nice mushroom soup.

Dany giving Master Kraznys a taste of Dracarys.

”Ed, fetch me a block.”

Lord Manderly has some good ones.  
”Mayhaps it was for the best.  Had the boy lived, he would have gown up to be a Frey.”

The Frey pies, and “now this mummer’s farce is almost done.”

51 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Daeron I get but Aemond, really? 

I think I put Aegon II and Aegon IV into a different category of bad king than Maegor I and hypothetically Aemond. Still wouldn't like them as kings, but at least I know they have a backbone.

*Whispering Wood/Riverrun. 

*Jaime’s drugged/drunken/shock-driven confession.

*Oberyn vs. Mountain before fuckuppery. 

*Brienne and the children. 

*Crippled/existentially shattered Jaime inserting himself between enraged bear and Brienne based on a hunch. 

*Davos defying Stannis for an innocent boy’s life. 

*Yoren pretty knowingly risking his life to try and protect (mostly) children.

*Garlan/Renly at the BW.

*Manderly’s speech about the mummer’s farce before the whole revenge cannibalism thing kinda ruined him for me.

*The Shy Maid journey/team and Quenton’s entourage both reminding me of more classical fantasy vibes. 

On 10/27/2022 at 2:09 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Which moments in The World of Ice and Fire, Fire and Blood and other historical moments mentionned in the books before the main story do you find to be the most satisfying, whenever it happened during a war, a battle or another kind of events, due to it being a character, house or people you hate being killed, humiliated or put to their place ? 

I must say that any moment where the Ironborn get put into their place is really satisfying, whenever it was Joanna Lannister's revenge against them, the chaos that happened after Harren the Black's death, or Greyjoy's Rebellion, but one of the most fitting moments was when Lymond Hightower defeated the Ironborn who tried to invade Oldtown and gave them a taste of their own medicine by making the survivors the thralls of Oldtown and forcing them to rebuild the damage they caused and even to reinforce Oldtown's walls and towers against any future IB attack. 

The great Lord Aenar Targaryen saving his family from the Doom of Valyria.  We would not have a story without him. 

On 3/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, James Arryn said:

*Oberyn vs. Mountain before fuckuppery. 

I find it hard to list that moment because of the awful rug-pull. After all the horrors of the series, after the Red Wedding, Tyrion's unjust imprisonment, we finally think someone us going to openly strike a blow for justice. And then... that. It was so much worse than earlier shock moments because a moment previously we were feeling so good about it.

I think my reaction was pretty much the same as the Fellowship's here.

1 hour ago, Daena the Defiant said:

The Yellow Toad of Sunspear telling whichever Targaryen Queen (Visenya? Rhaenys?) to "fuck off" was pretty satisfying.

I didn't like that scene, for two reasons. Firstly, the dialogue is weak. It's just two women shouting their house words at each other.

Rhaenys: Watch out, I'm gonna bring fire and blood!
Meria: Nuh-uh! Unbowed unbent unbroken!

Secondly, and this is more of a personal thing, I had kind of assumed that the Martells adopted their current house words after being brought into the Seven Kingdoms, just to make the point that unlike all the rest of you bitches, the Martells joined the realm by treaty not by conquest and they're preserving their original titles and dignities. Instead, turns out they're just their old words from whenever because whatever. Maybe that had always been GRRM's intention but I think that scene was the point where it was confirmed to the reader.

-Jon cutting Slynt's froggy head off is top tier satisfaction.Nod of approval from Stannis added to the charm further.

- Oberyn almost finishing the Mountain is 2nd one for me.

Rest are without order:

- Cersei getting imprisoned after framing Margaery.

- Manderly-Davos convo.

- Ramsay's pets getting routinely murdered and him getting furious.

-Lady Smallwood-Arya convo.

For me it's:

• Brienne kills Pyg and Timeon with Oathkeeper. Forces Shagwell to dig their graves, then kills him too. All with a reforged Ice.
  • Joffrey dying by the contents of Sansa's hairnet.
  • Cersei's imprisonment.
  • Princess Meria showing Rhaenys the door.
  • Asha standing up to Stannis and telling him to do the deed himself via beheading when he wants to have Theon burned alive.
  • Manderly's speech to Davos.

Archived