US politics - have you no sense of decency, sir?

IheartIheartTesla

10 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Oh, my bad for not explaining, this is the question i've been asking in my head, if not explicitly, which like most questions i ask you, you just dodge or deflect:

How the fuck do workers, labor, a union, get something without striking?  

eta: because historically you are very much wrong.  That's the only way anything happens.

Again, I'm not against striking in general, I just think when it interrupts transportation in the current times it probably does more harm than good, turns people against the workers and in this specific example it would probably achieve nothing.   

How in the fuck are there no federal labor laws when its an essential network? Is oversight by State? I should probably quit asking and start digging lol  

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Whoa, those estimates are much higher than I'm use to seeing, and this seems why:

Yeah using a pure inflation model going back that far is going to be inherently misleading, which is why most don't.

Kanye’s Willing Republican Partners First they ignore the extremists. Then they quietly accept them.

....The Republican Party’s long march to the right is the dominant development in American politics of the last half-century. It is worth carefully examining just how this process of extremism works and how marginal ideas are gradually normalized. The key decisions are frequently not made by the likes of Kanye and Fuentes but by the party power brokers who must choose whether to accept their support or open a schism with their supporters. ....

O no, of course not, not at all, are the gops nazis.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, I'm not against striking in general, I just think when it interrupts transportation in the current times it probably does more harm than good, turns people against the workers and in this specific example it would probably achieve nothing.   

I don't think is true at all. Not this last on public sentiment. How do you figure this, Ty? 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, what else are they supposed to do?  

It's true I empathize with labor; but ... Uncle Joe has really supported me by the way he handled the unions (railroad, pipeline, refinery, and others). More, SBUX's handling of its own challenges (shutting down the first unionized store, paying non-union employees more -- hahaha) was beneficial, too. Well done!

Do we really need strong labor unions, though? But do we really :leer:

18 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

It's true I empathize with labor; but ... Uncle Joe has really supported me Like honestly wadewas beneficial, too. Well done!

Do we really need strong labor unions, though? But do we really :leer:

If you were charming like Loki or something maybe. Half the time can't honestly tell if you're putting on or not, Wade,  Yes we do need labor unions. Everyone.

It may bring the stock down a bit but it would be much more stable. Profits are high because of cut backs. 

I'm surprised this isn't a huge freaking deal. How is it not a weapon waiting to happen? There's a standard here.  

1 hour ago, JGP said:

How in the fuck are there no federal labor laws when its an essential network? Is oversight by State? I should probably quit asking and start digging lol  

Because the US is a shithole country run by rich fucks who care more about money than the general well-being of the citizenry.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Clearly, if striking is too onerous on the populace then clearly the only recourse is to [REDACTED] the owners. That only directly affects a couple of people, right?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The rest of your post betrays the fact this isn't true.

DMC -- o rly ;)

1 hour ago, JGP said:

If you were charming like Loki or something maybe. Half the time can't honestly tell if you're putting on or not, Wade,  Yes we do need labor unions. Everyone.

It may bring the stock down a bit but it would be much more stable. Profits are high because of cut backs. 

I'm surprised this isn't a huge freaking deal. How is it not a weapon waiting to happen? There's a standard here.  

JGP -- yes; we need unions, of course. We just want them ... to know their place. And by "we" I mean the Corporate and Democrat elites (and me, a humble shareholder).

I wasn't surprised by the outcome, to be honest. Although it was the practical move by Uncle Joe, if he really was pro-union, he should have done the right thing. And the right thing to do would have been to keep the USG out of it and let labor and capital to fight it out. I believe labor, with more leverage, would have forced the railroads to yield.

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

That was not a South Park video.

Branching out I see. 

:P

Finding South Park videos on YouTube is comparatively quite hard considering Matt & Trey's lockdown on their content.

3 hours ago, JGP said:

I don't think is true at all. Not this last on public sentiment. How do you figure this, Ty? 

Simple really, if you make it harder for someone to get to work, will that make it more likely for them to support your cause? Answer is probably not. 

3 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I said I don't have a great answer, but as a matter of principle I don't think you should do something that will make it less likely to achieve your goal. In this instance it doesn't seem like a strike will get the votes needed, so the end result will just hurt everyday people.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Simple really, if you make it harder for someone to get to work, will that make it more likely for them to support your cause? Answer is probably not. 

Well, while a rail strike would cause difficulties among commuters, it's not going to make it harder for people to get to work outside of, like, people living in Jersey taking the Amtrak to get into NYC.  Which is really more of an indictment on public transportation in this country.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, while a rail strike would cause difficulties among commuters, it's not going to make it harder for people to get to work outside of, like, people living in Jersey taking the Amtrak to get into NYC.  Which is really more of an indictment on public transportation in this country.

Public transportation in this country is a joke outside of a few locations. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Public transportation in this country is a joke outside of a few locations. 

I think the most discouraging thing I've encountered is unless you live very close to downtown Pittsburgh's bus system is worse than Orlando's and even Tampa's from what I can tell so far.  You'd expect the opposite, and frankly I did when I moved there.  Pitt does still have the T as light rail but that didn't help me at all.

Archived