What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

• 3 weeks later...

Had small left over wild mushroom raviolis.

Baked a butternut squash.

A large yellow onion,  minced. A handful of sliced baby bellos. A small, chopped zucchini.  Two mushroom and swiss cheese sausages, sliced.  Sautéed in two tbls. of butter, with a third cup of nice Alasce wine.

When these were cooked, whisked the baked squash into the above mixture, with chicken stock and lots of ground black pepper, and a bit more wine.  When heated again, added the spinach and the left over raviolis.  Nice bread with good Spanish dipping olive oil.  More wine, to drink!

Outside the wind is gusting to a hard, frosty 30 MPH, while the temps are just about 38° at the moment.  I'm home for the night, but Partner must go out to our friend's theater production of a restored Yiddish play, which he did.  This meal is a good rib sticker for a winter evening.  Worked for us.  We're quite seasonally merry.  Or, merely the effect of the wine? :D

• 4 weeks later...

A fusion of a variety of tastes and flavors, some new, some my usuals-

Broiled some fishies,

Cod, Shark and Salmon

Steamed Corn, peppers and assorted veggies.

Boiled quinoa and duck eggs

Seasoned with red curry, garlic, grated tumeric and ginger and peppered.

Garnished with cilantro, onion and serrano.

• 1 month later...

Since it's still soup season, I made this on Sunday for the whole week.

It's pretty good. I did add fresh spinach, a can of green beans, and a can of fire roasted tomatoes, but I would also recommend doubling the garlic (if you're a garlic fiend like me) and being liberal with the pepper. Also maybe next time I might add some rice or orzo to round it out a bit. I didn't this time but a couple of slices of sourdough bread on the side is a pretty good substitute.

As it is it's a pretty good recipe and very quick and easy to both cook and prepare.

Went out to eat last night with a friend.  The premise of this place is that you order your steak or whatever protein you want, and they bring it out to you raw with a 750 degree stone on which to cook it yourself.  They include various sauces and herbed butter.

I didn't want to cook my own dinner so I ordered the salmon.  Big mistake.  Never order fish in a steak house.

ETA:  Ordered it rare and of course it came dry and overcooked.  Did something I NEVER do and sent it back.  Told them to just wave it over the grill.  STILL overcooked. 

Edited by Tears of Lys

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Went out to eat last night with a friend.  The premise of this place is that you order your steak or whatever protein you want, and they bring it out to you raw with a 750 degree stone on which to cook it yourself.  They include various sauces and herbed butter.

I didn't want to cook my own dinner so I ordered the salmon.  Big mistake.  Never order fish in a steak house.

ETA:  Ordered it rare and of course it came dry and overcooked.  Did something I NEVER do and sent it back.  Told them to just wave it over the grill.  STILL overcooked. 

Something about these gimmicky restaurants/cook-your-own really doesn't appeal to me. Not so much the hotpot/korean barbecue stuff, but steak? I'm a pescetarian but it seems weird to ask you to cook your own steak at a steakhouse. For why am I here, if I wanted to cook steak badly myself I could do so cheaper at home.

Made a very simple meal of cod with new potatoes in parsley butter and a "sort of" salsa (I.e. I had peppers, tomatoes and red onions that needed using so just chopped them up and threw them together with some chilli and lime)

Edited by HexMachina

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Have I lost my mind? I could have sworn I responded to this post. I can’t believe a steakhouse would have the nerve to tell their clients to cook their own steak. I expect to be served a meal when I go to a steakhouse, not a hot plate and do-it-yourself instructions.

that was my feeling too.  And to add insult to injury, it was tough.

ETA:  On second thought, it would have been much better if I had ordered my salmon raw and cooked it myself.  :P 

Edited by Tears of Lys

There is a steakhouse somewhat near where I live (about an hour or so away) that is pretty famous amongst locals and, the gimmick there is that you pick out your steak and cook it yourself on the big communal grill in the center of the dining room. I was, frankly, unimpressed the one time I went there. The meat was good, to be honest, but if I'm dropping $30 or $40 for a steak, they can cook it for me.

I have dinner with friends almost every Sunday night, and I usually bring the salad (and a bottle of wine, and sometimes a cake I bake, and often I bake the birthday cakes). 

The Great British Baking show has been in reruns on tv here, and in a bread episode contestants made focaccia, add ingredients on top please! One of the ladies had been on holiday on an island in the Mediterranean, Crete or Cyprus or some such place, and had been served bread with roasted red grapes, fennel and feta. I thought that sounded like it would be tasty in a salad and did that a couple of weeks ago, to great success. We talked about other cheeses and we decided it would be nice with a blue cheese too, so my Sunday salad will have the roasted, seedless, red grapes, slivers of fennel and a nice, crumbled, Danish blue.