"Only 500 pages to go" for Winds of Winter

Aebram

12 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

Bran has to become king or else the magical powers will become irrelevant.

Among the original major plans, this I think is the most likely to change. That is simply because GRRM is realizing that he can't have too much magic in the story or the he risks losing what sets ASOIAF apart from the other fantasy series. That is why he is trying to feature high fantasy elements in the original drafts and consistently toning them down in the published version.

12 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

And Sansa has to rule Winterfell or else her political accumulation would be a dead end. 

Back to basics. Sansa marries a Lannister and has a baby as in the 1993 outline and ends up ruling Casterly Rock. Problem solved.

Bran becoming a god king, would sort of ruin the series. What makes this series so interesting is how imperfect everyone is. Having a living computer as your king at the end, just seems boring. 

That being said, if we ever get Dream, it probably will happen.

Edited by sifth

46 minutes ago, sifth said:

Bran becoming a god king, would sort of ruin the series. What makes this series so interesting is how imperfect everyone is. Having a living computer as your king at the end, just seems boring. 

It seems to me the worst ending because Brab will become a Big Brother. Knowing everything. 

2 hours ago, sifth said:

That being said, if we ever get Dream, it probably will happen.

It’s from Dune, it will happen.

7 hours ago, Mithras said:

Among the original major plans, this I think is the most likely to change. That is simply because GRRM is realizing that he can't have too much magic in the story or the he risks losing what sets ASOIAF apart from the other fantasy series. That is why he is trying to feature high fantasy elements in the original drafts and consistently toning them down in the published version. 

He has no alternative 

7 hours ago, Mithras said:

Back to basics. Sansa marries a Lannister and has a baby as in the 1993 outline and ends up ruling Casterly Rock. Problem solved.

Doesn’t sound that different from ruling Winterfell. Either could work but the books have alluded to Winterfell.

1 hour ago, butterweedstrover said:

Doesn’t sound that different from ruling Winterfell. Either could work but the books have alluded to Winterfell.

I don't think there is anything alluding to Sansa and Winterfell. Even if there was, the first 13 chapters of AGoT still brazenly foreshadow evil King Jaime and Jon-Arya romance.

49 minutes ago, Mithras said:

I don't think there is anything alluding to Sansa and Winterfell. Even if there was, the first 13 chapters of AGoT still brazenly foreshadow evil King Jaime and Jon-Arya romance.

The former more than the latter. Jon gives Arya a gift and she kisses him. That’s not exactly what I’d call romance. 

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Same here. I was very sceptical towards the idea of king Bran when it was first revealed, but now I'll be fine with Hot Pie taking the throne as long as we get some kind of conclusion.

Hey man, if dancing bears and full bellies worked for Aegon III, I'm sure hot pies can work for Hot Pie.

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Do you really believe that Arya's time with the Faceless Men in Braavos does not have a narrative purpose?

Not really, no.  She will no doubt use her FM training, but it was really something for her to do for a few years.  Arya was always clever, perceptive, brave and resourceful.  She would not have needed FM training to kill her enemies.

I honestly think Bran and Dany are giving GRRM the most trouble at the moment. For Bran he has to deal with both time travel and making it even a little believable that he’ll become king. With Dany it’s making her lose her mind in a more organic and believable way; which isn’t easy given how sane she’s been, for the past few novels.

Edited by sifth

48 minutes ago, sifth said:

I honestly think Bran and Dany are giving GRRM the most trouble at the moment. For Bran he has to deal with both time travel and making it even a little believable that he’ll become king.

I wonder why the author thinks that a new immortal king is the best fate for Bran and Westeros. Eternal absolute monarchy with no chance for evolving? A creature with no feelings, no passions and no desires except for watching their subjects? At least in the show version. 

Having a living computer as your king at the end, just seems boring.

Not boring... horrifying. 

One thing that soothes me is that the end book will never be published. 

Edited by Aelwen

Bran as king would be like being ruled by Allied Mastercomputer.  The actor who played him says that Westeros will now be a “surveillance state.”

That sounds like a horrific ending (as well as ripping off God Emperor of Dune).

Reading Fire Cannot Kill a Dragon, I got the impression that D&D didn’t really understand why Bran would be king, or why Dany would go crazy. It seemed like they only included it because GRRM told them that was how it ended (much like how Stannis killed his only heir to melt a couple inches of snow). Based on what we’ve seen of Bran in the books, including his natural talent for leadership in ACOK, I don’t think he’s going to be a god-emperor. I think Hold the Door will be the moment that teaches Bran that he can’t push his limits. I think he’ll be chosen for the wisdom that he’s gained from his powers and whatever leadership he shows upon returning to Winterfell. I don’t think he’ll become the Branbot.

Arya’s much harder, since we can’t really pull anything from the show. There is no Night King in the books, and D&D have talked about how they considered other people besides her to shank him. Since GRRM felt the need to include a story about a girl sailing west into the sunset in FnB, he may have told D&D that was how her story ended when he revealed the outline years earlier. But right now, I’m not sure what she’ll end up doing until then.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Reading Fire Cannot Kill a Dragon, I got the impression that D&D didn’t really understand why Bran would be king, or why Dany would go crazy.

And again, it's very possible that GRRM himself doesn't fully understand it. It could simply be that he thought that those were cool ideas, but is struggling with the execution. And while Dany's dark turn is clearly visible by the end of ADWD, I have no idea how he can possibly make King Bran work.

1 minute ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

And again, it's very possible that GRRM himself doesn't fully understand it. It could simply be that he thought that those were cool ideas, but is struggling with the execution. And while Dany's dark turn is clearly visible by the end of ADWD, I have no idea how he can possibly make King Bran work.

Maybe, but wouldn’t he have had twenty years to think it over by then? If he had a better idea, I’m sure he would have gone with that.