Which of the Big Cities would you most want to live in?

Lady Stonehearts Simp

I prefer the cold to the heat so it would have to be a bit North, White Harbour seems pretty cool and Braavos too. Pentos migth be ok but it seem to be to involved in the geopolitical games. Norvos could be safe but the religious intolerance make it a no-no for me. But one that people dont seem to think about is Lorath. It is on a island so safe from any real threat, it is closest to Braavos who is not a expansionist city so quite safe on that end. And you have all those cool Labyrinth that you can use as shelter if you fall on hard times. And the Bay of Lorath is full of fish so no need to go too far to make a living.

oro Uhoris, the Cobblecat's cranky old master, used to claim that he could tell one port from another just by the way they smelled. Cities were like women, he insisted; each one had its own unique scent. Oldtown was as flowery as a perfumed dowager. Lannisport was a milkmaid, fresh and earthy, with woodsmoke in her hair. King's Landing reeked like some unwashed whore. But White Harbor's scent was sharp and salty, and a little fishy too.

I think people need this quote to help them decide.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:45 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Barrowton or White Harbor. Given my love of seafood and curiosity about that Sister's Stew I'd probably have to make it White Harbor so that I could import it easily.

Plus the stout!

Off the other way, in one of those houses that clung to the walls of the Wolf's Den like barnacles to an old hull, there used to be a brewhouse where they made a black beer so thick and tasty that a cask of it could fetch as much as Arbor gold in Braavos and the Port of Ibben, provided the locals left the brewer any to sell. (ADWD Davos II)

I basically live in White Harbor (NA version, I suppose Newcastle or Edinburgh have the better claim). It’s fine. But in Westeros I’d take Oldtown. Oxford/Bruges/Alexandria mix? I’ll take it. 

Gulltown and Lannisport sound nice, probably take the former to better avoid endemic Viking raids. 

34 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Edinburgh

Edinburgh and White Harbour roughly line up if you put the two maps together but based on how White Harbour is described it's not really like Edinburgh. Edinburgh was the royal seat for ages and it is also built on hills. It's also not got many white buildings. Somewhere like Arbroath I would think is closer to White Harbour in terms of looks but even that's not a great match. Newcastle also didn't really take off until the Industrial Revolution. I'd say Berwick is the best fit for White Harbour I've found in the UK so far, but of course White Harbour isn't really disputed territory.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Edinburgh and White Harbour roughly line up if you put the two maps together but based on how White Harbour is described it's not really like Edinburgh. Edinburgh was the royal seat for ages and it is also built on hills. It's also not got many white buildings. Somewhere like Arbroath I would think is closer to White Harbour in terms of looks but even that's not a great match.

Well, here in Toronto, we:

Are the far and away largest city of the True North (but not the capital, that’s a freezing hellhole in the middle of nowhere so cold that people mostly get around via a network of underground passages in winter) that sits on the northern coast of a body of water that divides us from the south, are predominantly inhabited by relative newcomers, it’s harbour bracketed by an island that used to be much more populated/important, etc.

Oh, and what do American visitors always remark about Toronto? How clean it is. 

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Oh, and what do American visitors always remark about Toronto? How clean it is. 

Good god Edinburgh is NOT clean. It's nicknamed 'Auld Reekie' for a reason...(though it used to be worse)

Going back to White Harbour I was tempted to suggest Aberdeen but it's too grey...Still think Berwick is the best comparison.

9 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Good god Edinburgh is NOT clean. It's nicknamed 'Auld Reekie' for a reason...(though it used to be worse)

Going back to White Harbour I was tempted to suggest Aberdeen but it's too grey...Still think Berwick is the best comparison.

Trainspotting, Rebus et al have taught me that even the Royal Mile is but a thin greystone veneer on an otherwise temporarily cease-fired collection of homeless drug addicts, violent criminals and people who finished 3rd in the Fringe’s Performance Art category. 

The East is more advanced.  The weather is better.  It's just terrible to have slavery.  Braavos it will have to be.  I'll be planting Wildfire around the House of Black & White.  Give em a send off to their Gods.  They should appreciate it if they're not hypocrites. 

Either Gulltown or White Harbor for me. I do love a cooler climate.

White Harbor is said to be clean and orderly with wide, cobbled streets. It's well protected by thick walls and a large naval fleet. And the fish market.. *chefs kiss* I would be a frequent visitor to the fish market. If coffee was a thing in Westeros, I'd open my own local coffee shop in White Harbor.

Gulltown, because it is located in the Vale of Arryn, my favorite location in Westeros. A hop, skip, and a jump from the Bay of Crabs (I love crabs.) Frequent trade with the Free Cities.

Archived