[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

On 1/19/2024 at 11:59 AM, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

If you want to have a laugh

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/01/18/117474-spy-report-the-rings-of-power-season-2-to-expand-on-sauron-in-huge-new-ways/

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/01/18/117354-spy-report-suggests-an-unhinged-season-2-of-the-rings-of-power/

They could have just not included that scene, especially since it doesn't make any sense. Or they could have had Galadriel finding Finrod's grave.

Weirdly, some of this stuff doesnt sound so unlikely. Its just impossible to know if some dude made all of this up or its real intel.

I remember we got massive spoilers on TORN for season 1 which seemed quite absurd and of which a large part was eventually correct.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:32 AM, KingAerys_II said:

They should focus on the Witch King of Angmar and the Nazgul to save this failure, Celebrimbor looks so miserable , RoP producers don't know that Elves always look young and majestic

no they don't.  Case in point Cirdan.

That's part of the appeal - these very young looking people having the wisdom of ages just add to their otherworldlyness (in lack of better term).

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Elrond has age on him.  PJ didn’t help portraying all elves as 22 with perfectly conditioned long hair.

Hugo Weaving clearly doesn't look young in the movies. Cate Blanchett doesn't look that young either. And he did hire an older actor for Círdan. Elves can appear to have aged if they experience a lot of sorrow and troubles. I do think Celebrimbor looks too old in RoP, but that's peanuts compared to the rest of the changes they made.

Now there's a money-maker! A MAGA-infused LOTR production!

Denethor is a righteous, bad-ass leader of Men and his two brave and stalwart sons drain the Middle Earth swamp of the pansy, feminine elves, pathetic thieving halflings and hobbits, and smarmy, job-stealing dwarves. Total babes like Arwen and Eowyn know when to step back and support their men, and Saruman raises a sexy tower of willing sex-slave (and super hot) orc chicks. Righteous Exterminator Gandalf uses the eagles to magick-bomb the absolute shit out of Mordor, land of hippies, homos and Hollywood hacks led by the vile Obamauron and his contemptuous pinko ring-wraiths.

The final shot is the unveiling of the new flag of Minas Tirith, which is just the American flag with Anduril emblazoned over the stars-and-stripes, triumphantly raised over a crowd of adoring all-white men and various nubile, supplicant hotties. 

57 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Elrond is half elf, anyway elves in Lotr were top model material : Cate Blanchett, Liv Tyler, Orlando Bloom.

It's very easy to do a masterpiece from Tolkien works, RoP is the product of activists

Are you going to complain about dark skinned Elves and Dwarves too?

4 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

It's very hard to do better than LOTR trilogy, but it's very easy to do better than RoP producers, even a videogame about the rings of power are better than the tv series

No, that is Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.  I don't like Rings of Power but it is better than those 2.

I absolutely hate Shadow of Wardor, but I have to say that I respect it more than Amazon's product. It has a certain ambition to tell this grim tale about the destructive nature of revenge and the corrupting desire for domination full of moral ambiguity. It is just that it does it in a thoroughly un-Tolkienian manner. Also the writing, especially with the main character, isn't strong enough enough. If the writing were improved and if were allowed to be an original setting, I think it would be great.

ROP on the other hand lacks that ambition. The way it mangles Tolkien is just so lazy.

16 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

ROP on the other hand lacks that ambition. The way it mangles Tolkien is just so lazy.

The time compression makes no sense as does claiming Mitiril is somehow integral in preventing Elves who remain in Middle Earth from “fading”.  As though social decline is a physical disease…

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

16 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are you going to complain about dark skinned Elves and Dwarves too?

Dark skinned Elves and Dwarves were put in for one reason and one reason only - to have as many people as possible talk about that and distract them from the absolute rubbish of the show they made.

54 minutes ago, baxus said:

Dark skinned Elves and Dwarves were put in for one reason and one reason only - to have as many people as possible talk about that and distract them from the absolute rubbish of the show they made.

There is plenty to complain about with RoP.  Those who zero in on skin tone… are revealing themselves to have issues.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is plenty to complain about with RoP.  Those who zero in on skin tone… are revealing themselves to have issues.

This is exactly the narrative that Amazon is hoping for. Sure, it wouldn't be on the top of the list of things they did wrong, but I would put it (and dare say it should be) on the list. There are more or less detailed descriptions of mythical creatures and having dark skinned Elves (I don't remember Dwarves skin tone being specified) is just as off as putting a horn on the donkey and calling it a unicorn. It just doesn't fit the description.

22 hours ago, baxus said:

This is exactly the narrative that Amazon is hoping for. Sure, it wouldn't be on the top of the list of things they did wrong, but I would put it (and dare say it should be) on the list. There are more or less detailed descriptions of mythical creatures and having dark skinned Elves (I don't remember Dwarves skin tone being specified) is just as off as putting a horn on the donkey and calling it a unicorn. It just doesn't fit the description.

Skin tone isn’t an issue.  Story problems, are.  This particular complaint reminds me of those angry that Liet-Keynes is female in the 2021 adaptation of Dune. The character’s gender/sex doesn’t change the character’s story a whit and as such is no big deal to me.  The same is true for skin tone in RoP.  Allowing for dark skinned elves, dwarves, and hobbits changes the characters not at all.  The problematic changes are the time compression and the other bizarre crap.

If all the actors are light skinned the problems change… not a whit.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison