Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

13 minutes ago, sifth said:

I can't stand the voice of the new chief engineer. I don't know what sort of accent they're trying to use, but it makes my head hurt.

Carol Kane's voice is unique on its own. I agree the accent is not nessecary or good. Yet she passed as human for hundreds of years, go figure. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

There were a few things I didn't like. Spock stealing the ship for starters. It's a star trek trope, but has spock at this point earned that kind of dedication and trust from these people? This is a society that never had a mutiny before Discovery (stupid, but we're stuck with it.) This isn't quite that, but it's close. Plus like he doesn't even contact Pike for at least advice!? He steals the ship on his first command that before he was nervous about! All to save La'an who I belive was only on the ship a short time. 

I think Spock earned that based on season 1. And La'an was there for quite a while. Season 1 starts 10 years prior to Pike's incident and ends about 7 years prior to said incident. She did miss the finale, but I doubt there was a huge time jump between episodes 9 and 10 (someone who understands the Trek star dates can figure it out, they say it at the beginning of every episode)

Spoiler

The idea of dividing custody of a mining planet but switching every month is incredibly stupid. If they'd at least said every X months that would have made it exponentially less stupid. 

Warp and other advanced technology, I don't think this is that egregious. The custody thing is more about who has military presence over the planet seemed to me, than who is in the mines.

Spoiler

"It'll take almost a minute for us to freeze to death." come on writers, we just saw someone freeze and shatter in like fifteen seconds on Picard. 

Yeah, Picard has no credibility for me. What M'Benga said is closer to reality. 

Spoiler

Granted I have no idea how quickly they were able to move away from the ship that exploded.

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Carol Kane's voice is unique on its own. I agree the accent is not nessecary or good. Yet she passed as human for hundreds of years, go figure. 

She pretended to be a witch. :P

9 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Season 1 starts 10 years prior to Pike's incident and ends about 7 years prior to said incident.

Really? Huh, obviously I need to re-watch but when was the time skip? 

Edit: As for Spock earning it during season one, I'm not sure. He wasn't even their captain, he was totally unproven in that role. Plus like I alluded to before they've set it up so this kind of mass rebellion against Starfleet is a very rare thing. 

I'm not saying they don't have a bond with spock, or even with La'an but I think "steal the ship" should have had more weight to it. That part felt like we were in the Abrhams universe retreading old movie plots, with none of the earned emotional investment. Again, just my opinion. Colored by just having watched TOS and all the original cast movies. 

Edited by RumHam

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

In Pike's dialogue with people regarding his fate.

Can you be more specific? It seems more like a continuity error than that we're supposed to assume the season covered three years or that there was a time jump. 

I don’t think that’s correct. TOS is 2266 when it starts. The Cage is 13 years before that, 2253. Discovery Season 1 is 10 years before TOS, 2256. Pike joins Discovery in 2257, hangs out for a year, goes back to Enterprise in 2258, then hangs out while Disco has its third season. So SNW Season 1 is 2259. If three years had past it’d be 2262, only four years before TOS.

@Corvinus85 Possibly you’re thinking of how long ago he found out he was going to be in the accident? That could’ve been 3 years ago in SNW Season 1, but that happened in Disco S2.

Edited by DaveSumm

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

For some daft reason it made me think of Tommy Wisau.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Can you be more specific? It seems more like a continuity error than that we're supposed to assume the season covered three years or that there was a time jump. 

For some reason Paramount has posted season 1 episodes on YouTube. I time stamped episode 1. And below a clip from episode 10.

I suppose the "almost a decade line" is just 7 years, but that's a weird way to say it. I think somewhere else in that episode 10 years is mentioned.

Edited by Corvinus85

Just watched Ep1, it was a pretty solid one. I'd note a few issues with pacing, a bit of an undercooked plot, and some plot armor combined with good old technobabble. In other words, a pretty standard ST episode. Regardless, I'm pretty stoked for S2 SNW since they dont do 'bad' episodes IMO. Still waiting for a 'one for the ages' episode though.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just watched Ep1, it was a pretty solid one. I'd note a few issues with pacing, a bit of an undercooked plot, and some plot armor combined with good old technobabble. In other words, a pretty standard ST episode. Regardless, I'm pretty stoked for S2 SNW since they dont do 'bad' episodes IMO. Still waiting for a 'one for the ages' episode though.

The Lower Decks Crossover can’t come soon enough.

9 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'd note a few issues with pacing, a bit of an undercooked plot, and some plot armor combined with good old technobabble. In other words, a pretty standard ST episode. Regardless, I'm pretty stoked for S2 SNW since they dont do 'bad' episodes IMO.

As SNW goes, this was a pretty mediocre one imo.

Spoiler

The serum thing has been covered, but what about the cowardly klingon blurting out the big plan after taking a few hits?

That whole sequence was a disaster for me. Took me right out of the story, grumbling about poor writing. For some reason, I'm deeply annoyed the writers (most writers of TV shows apparently) think being badass means literally kicking ass.
But this is Star Trek for fuck's sake! You have two super-smart members of the medical team being trapped in an enemy stronghold being forced to treat klingons, and all you can think of is them punching their way out?
Even on drugs, two unarmed humans should not be able to take out almost a dozen klingons that easily... that's a kind of "Worf effect" right there.
In that situation it should have been easy for M'Bemba and Chapel to cook up some fake illness, inject the klingons with something that looks like something super-dangerous and contagious... extract information thanks to drugs (some kind of truth serum, but getting a klingon high could have been funny too)... Maybe, maybe throw a punch or two at the end.

Too bad, because apart from that, the episode was quite decent - though certainly not groundbreaking.

Babs Olusanmokun (M' Benga) also played Jamis in Dune and is a pretty good jiu jitsu exponent. One of the regrets the showrunners had for his character is that they never got to use his skills in S1. That's all I'll say without getting too spoiler-y.

About Spock not earning his loyalty from crewmates, it didnt bother me so much. At least not as much as Hemmer in S1 and his goodbye, which I thought was unearned. They didnt show a whole lot of interactions of him and his fellow crewmates.

Lastly, if you watch the Ready Room interviews, Carol Kane speaks (at least in cadence) quite close to how her character does, i.e, slowly. Add to that the weird accent and it does make for an acquired taste (but not bothersome to me). But you know, chief engineers are by nature a weird breed. Just accept it as part of the position.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:46 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Yeah, Picard has no credibility for me. What M'Benga said is closer to reality. :P

Closer, but still way off. You're in a vacuum and the only way to remove body heat is by radiating it. Essentially you're trapped in a giant thermos. Despite the freezing in seconds being a common scifi trope, overheating would more of an issue in the short term...

Well ok, having a lung rupture or dying through asphyxiation is more of an issue in the short term. But it'd take a long long time to freeze in any case.

Yes, heat transfer from the body would be through radiation, there are well known laws for it (look up the Stefan-Boltzmann law). You are looking mostly at oxygen (and other gases) leaving the body because of the difference in pressure, potentially in a violent fashion (along with the aforementioned asphyxiation). Couple minutes tops.

Then again, you also cant see lasers in space (or 'phaser' fires from spaceships). I tend to ignore the physics aspects of most of Star Trek (or I'd go bananas, as I do have multiple degrees in it)

The episodes was indeed a bit meh.

I hope Uhura's decision to stay with Starfleet is going to be covered in more detail in future dialogue and/or flashbacks. Hemmer's death provided the groundwork for it, of course, but it would be good to know when and how she got back to Enterprise as Ensign.

The sudden familiarity of M'Benga and Chapel is weird. There was no foreshadowing for them being war buddies during the silly Klingon War last season, right?

Chapel indicating she intends to take some time off Enterprise hopefully is seen through and will lead to her meeting and falling head over heels for Dr. Roger Korby. They cannot continue the story without him showing up in some fashion.

Stealing the ship was a bit much ... and the plot to restart the war was just odd. Might of been better if some weirdo TOS magical planet business gang would be trying to do this because such people would have been better war profiteers.

Am I getting it right that the new engineer is supposed to be a humanoid species which developed on Earth alongside humans? If so, this might be a bit much, too.

17 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Chapel indicating she intends to take some time off Enterprise hopefully is seen through and will lead to her meeting and falling head over heels for Dr. Roger Korby. They cannot continue the story without him showing up in some fashion.

Ha. That seems really naive at this point. You'd might have said they couldn't change the klingons back without adressing it. Thank god they didn't try. Really curious what happens if Ash and L'rell(?) show up in the section 31 movie. 

I just watched TOS for the second time and there were so many things that just....don't fit with TNG and later continuity. The shows aren't even always internatly consistant. They could easily breeze right past Korby. 

Especially if the "season one took place over three years" thing is not a error, which I still tend to think it is. but if huge chunks of time are passing that we're not seeing then whose to say she didn't spent a year with him and then return.  

33 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Am I getting it right that the new engineer is supposed to be a humanoid species which developed on Earth alongside humans? If so, this might be a bit much, too.

We don't know the details yet. I assumed her species was a refugee aliens species that stayed hidden until became advanced and enlightened enough to accept them. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Ha. That seems really naive at this point. You'd might have said they couldn't change the klingons back without adressing it. Thank god they didn't try. Really curious what happens if Ash and L'rell(?) show up in the section 31 movie. 

I just watched TOS for the second time and there were so many things that just....don't fit with TNG and later continuity. The shows aren't even always internatly consistant. They could easily breeze right past Korby. 

Especially if the "season one took place over three years" thing is not a error, which I still tend to think it is. but if huge chunks of time are passing that we're not seeing then whose to say she didn't spent a year with him and then return.  

They certainly could. But why should or would they if that adds drama and is kind of foreshadowed by Chapel's interest in archaelogical medicine? Spock has T'Pring and Chapel will get Korby. And it could be fun if the real guy was literally nothing like the robot character-wise.

Also, TOS makes it impossible the Spock/Chapel romance deepens. They will have to pull the plug on that eventually, possibly with Spock doing some extreme Vulcan thing on his emotions.