US Politics: them's indictin words

Kalbear

Since it's another appearance here tomorrow, I shall be afflicted with endless copper and media choppers from 6 AM until 6 PM. Again.

However, npr's so-called integrity is more like waffling, soft balling and, um, so both sideism as to be on Their side.  Like I mentioned a few days ago they spent a half hour solemnly discussing whether or not it's right for Them to blame Soros for what's happening in the courts here with the turd -- since the turd and minions say it is.

NPR shoulda broke with the twit long long ago.

25 minutes ago, Zorral said:

However, npr's so-called integrity is more like waffling, soft balling and, um, so both sideism as to be on Their side.  Like I mentioned a few days ago they spent a half hour solemnly discussing whether or not it's right for Them to blame Soros for what's happening in the courts here with the turd -- since the turd and minions say it is.

I think you have to put it into context that there's a lot of pressure on them to appear evenhanded and fair-minded because of the criticisms lodged at them and PBS by the right for time immemorial - and was just demonstrated by Musk's deluded perspective.  This may be faint praise, sure, but I think they still do a significantly better job being accurate than most of the prominent "liberal" or "mainstream" outlets in providing the public with good information.

I mean isn't NPR state affiliated? Seems a fair tag to me, it's public radio after all.  I mean sure Musk is doing it to fuck with them but come on PUBLIC radio you can't be to mad when people apply the tag to you. 

8 minutes ago, Darzin said:

I mean isn't NPR state affiliated? Seems a fair tag to me, it's public radio after all.  I mean sure Musk is doing it to fuck with them but come on PUBLIC radio you can't be to mad when people apply the tag to you. 

First, the implication and association of "state-affiliated media" is obvious, suggesting NPR does not enjoy editorial independence when it entirely does.  Second, "state funding" accounts for only about 4 percent of NPR's revenue from a variety of federal, state, and local governments (less than one percent from the federal government).

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

The mayor of NYC is a clown, a fool, a stooge, anything but a progressive.  Lazy as hell also.

Nah, you are just not woke* enough to appreicate his awesomeness. :D

*woke in the sense as was put forward in the UK pol. thread.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

woke in the sense as was put forward in the UK pol. thread.

Woke definitionally at this point is just a derogatory thing to refer things that conservatives find disagreeable which can range from wanting to repeal sodomy laws to wanting to ban child marriage.

11 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Woke definitionally at this point is just a derogatory thing to refer things that conservatives find disagreeable which can range from wanting to repeal sodomy laws to wanting to ban child marriage.

I disagree. There are lots of liberals who most definitely do not identify as woke, and are highly critical of that way of thinking and arguing. Sure, conservatives use the "War on Wokeness" as an electioneering tactic, but that doesn't mean they are the only ones who don't cotton to wokeness.

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I disagree. There are lots of liberals who most definitely do not identify as woke, and are highly critical of that way of thinking and arguing. Sure, conservatives use the "War on Wokeness" as an electioneering tactic, but that doesn't mean they are the only ones who don't cotton to wokeness.

But what is a "woke" "way of thinking and arguing" then? I am certainly more on the moderate side of liberal myself but since almost all the common discourse about "wokeness" now comes from right wingers who are criticizing things I don't think of as being "far left", I have ended up with the idea that "wokeness" must generally be a good thing. 

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Nvm.  Ninjaed

Pentagon leaks linked to young gun enthusiast who worked at military base – report
Man known online as ‘OG’ is said to have access to large amounts of classified material and to regard intelligence services as repressive

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/13/pentagon-leaks-og-source-military-base-discord-report

The man responsible for the leak of hundreds of classified Pentagon documents is reported to be a young, racist gun enthusiast who worked on a military base, and who was seeking to impress two dozen fellow members of an internet chat group.

The Washington Post interviewed a teenage member of the group, who described the man, referred to by the initials “OG”, from their online correspondence, and shared photographs and videos. The Post also viewed a video of a man identified as OG at a shooting range with a large rifle.

“He yells a series of racial and antisemitic slurs into the camera, then fires several rounds at a target,” the report said. OG told fellow members of the same internet group that he worked on a military base, which was not named in the report, where his job involved viewing large amounts of classified information.

45 minutes ago, Ormond said:

But what is a "woke" "way of thinking and arguing" then? I am certainly more on the moderate side of liberal myself but since almost all the common discourse about "wokeness" now comes from right wingers who are criticizing things I don't think of as being "far left", I have ended up with the idea that "wokeness" must generally be a good thing. 

I think you're going to find that people define wokeness in many different ways, but I'll tell you how I think of it. I define wokeness as an social-justice approach to politics that puts identity over consensus, tribalism over universality and purity over pragmatism. There's something almost religious about this point of view.

I don't consider myself a centrist in any way--for as long as I can remember, I've been in favor of Medicare-for-all and for abortion on demand and without apology--but I am deeply skeptical of wokeness.

The above definition sounds like a catch all definition -  allowing one to manufacture another stick to beat the left with, which is pretty on brand for your posts :dunno:

The curious thing about posts like the one above is that it ignores the fact that lawmakers, both in the US & UK, have a long history of crafting policies based on identity, and specifically white identity.

22 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I think you're going to find that people define wokeness in many different ways, but I'll tell you how I think of it. I define wokeness as an social-justice approach to politics that puts identity over consensus, tribalism over universality and purity over pragmatism. There's something almost religious about this point of view.

I don't consider myself a centrist in any way--for as long as I can remember, I've been in favor of Medicare-for-all and for abortion on demand and without apology--but I am deeply skeptical of wokeness.

Personally I'd be very skeptical of the optics of taking a word from the black community describing the need to be aware of systemic racism, that the right wing has already co-opted into a general bludgeon for anything left of center, and then using it to criticize the motives or priors of people who ostensibly agree with you in policy.  

32 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Personally I'd be very skeptical of the optics of taking a word from the black community describing the need to be aware of systemic racism, that the right wing has already co-opted into a general bludgeon for anything left of center, and then using it to criticize the motives or priors of people who ostensibly agree with you in policy.  

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I will say I am less concerned about optics than I am about getting policy right. I'm also not very interested in criticizing people's motives; I worry less about what folks think and more about what they do. 

The T-word Today in NYC:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/13/nyregion/trump-letitia-james-deposition.html

.... The former president, who spent the night at his Manhattan residence in Trump Tower, arrived at the attorney general’s office shortly before 10 a.m. As a crowd chanted “New York hates you,” Mr. Trump’s motorcade drove into the parking garage underneath the office building in Lower Manhattan. ....

Unlike the fantasy flick in his head NYers, even outside the criminal court, do not weep for him.

21 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I will say I am less concerned about optics than I am about getting policy right. I'm also not very interested in criticizing people's motives; I worry less about what folks think and more about what they do. 

I suppose my point is that using the word "woke" or "wokeness" in a critical or pejorative manner is something I personally would avoid doing if you support progressive policies.  

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hum, that didn't go as planned.

Folks I made a silly off-hand comment to mock the even sillier what's woke discussion in the UK thread, and now you imported it. Sorry to the US politicos.

its an important discussion, like even people who identify as leftist don understand what woke is and worse, they adopt right wing talking points and dont question it

Archived