Dating Thread: Hope Springs Eternal

Tywin et al.

21 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Thank you!! Everything* went really well and I could not be happier!

*almost, I'm a perfectionist but trying not to dwell on the small hiccups...

Damn, @Mlle. Zabzie gave me 500-1 odds on runaway bride. I'm starting to think you're in on her hustle. 

Congrats, btw. 

21 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I’ve been on a date at an MMA match. Does that count? It was front row, and actually rather fun - two sweaty, muscular guys, yum, yum. 

Of course that was your takeaway. :P

1 hour ago, Madame deVenoge said:

This opera is “Rigoletto” - a nice tragic opera. 

Ok, ty, This opera is horse approved. (as are most Italians operas). Altho, I prefer Puccini to Verdi.

If chats wanted to drag you (or anybody else) into a Wagnerite torture, I would've told you to run. I find Wagner way too kitsch (shout out to Adorno). Wagner's Trump size ego turned into opera.

I'd nominate The Marriage of Figaro for an entry into opera. The libretto is based on the work of a cynical French playwright (Pierre Beaumarchais, amazing biography) and is much stronger than most opera librettos, if also equally bananas. I liked the David McVicar staging with Erwin Schrott in the title role (2015); it was filmed and is sure to be floating around online somewhere. If you can overlook the obscurity of the composer, it's really worth checking out. 

As for Wagner I liked Patrice Chéreau's Ring Cycle, which was also filmed though to an eighties TV standard, and had Gwyneth Jones as Brunhilde. Have yet to see any Wagner live. Find the composer's views deeply repellent and the work sometimes irritating and soporific, but undeniably he was gifted. 

Edited by dog-days

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

I'd nominate The Marriage of Figaro for an entry into opera. The libretto is based on the work of a cynical French playwright (Pierre Beaumarchais, amazing biography) and is much stronger than most opera librettos, if also equally bananas. I liked the David McVicar staging with Erwin Schrott in the title role (2015); it was filmed and is sure to be floating around online somewhere. If you can overlook the obscurity of the composer, it's really worth checking out.

Whatever my thoughts on opera, I do love me some Mozart.

Wagner in small doses can be great. The overture to Tristan and Isolde blows me away. But once I get to the vocal partsmy mind starts to tune it out!

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

shout out to Adorno

Just finished re-reading Dialectic of Enlightenment and his essays on music. He can sometimes be as insufferable as he says Wagner is! But there's plenty of brilliance there as well. Reading Hannah Arendt's "Between Past and Future" for her take on culture in a time of kitsch.

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

My wife's best friend has been a principal at the Royal opera House, never been to see her. Feel a bit shady but she's never been to watch me lock up baddies either. 

Do you sell tickets?

12 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I’ve been on a date at an MMA match. Does that count? It was front row, and actually rather fun - two sweaty, muscular guys, yum, yum. 

My brother and I sat in the front row for a WWF match back in the day at Muzzy Field (where Aaron Hernandez later on did most of his best high school work, as it happens.)  And Hack Saw Jim Duggan's spittle landed on both us.  We thought it was cool at the time.

I'm trying to stop online dating but this is just calling me back all the time. My biggest date fail was that he was trying to say he was fat and I said, "I'm not fat, you are". Another date fail was putting on only half of my makeup, including eyebrows. Another in the early stages of my adulthood is that I would constantly talk about my family. But anyway, I believe that I am going to learn from these things. I went on a date with this one guy and he didn't even add me as a friend on Facebook. I think it goes without saying that I will probably only improve my game. 

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just you wait until you are in your late 40s whippersnapper  

I just found a hole in one of my favorite pairs of socks.

I know your pain. 

I don't pray, but God, please, don't ever make me need the love dart, even if it's from Chats. 

Also, seems like I'm one step closer to avoiding her shotgun marriage. :leaving:

Edited by Tywin et al.