US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

Trump finally indicted by the DOJ. 

I see news sources are (wisely) reporting this as Trump stating he has been indicted rather than his actually being indicted, but FWIW, this seems legit.   The DC-based grand jury investigation into Jan 6 is still ongoing, and once the indictment is public, we'll see if there are any offshoots of the documents case that will be pursued in DC.   

I don't expect an outcome before the Republican primaries, or even the Nov. 2024 election. 

Well, I suppose let's give Trump credit for getting out in front of the story.  Did the same thing with the Manhattan indictment.  Imma wait until, ya know, Smith actually publicizes the charges.  This is clearly his response to the target letter that told him he would be indicted.

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

And? The more the merrier, I say.

Yeah, I'm not complaining.  I just think Jan 6 is a lot further off than people think. 

I could be wrong, but my sense is that the bottom-investigative approach is both necessary to uncover the full scope of the conspiracy and taking an awful long time. 

Whether Trump was coordinating with the Proud Boy/Oathkeeper types through six layers of cut-outs in addition to his public pronouncements and tweets is going to take a long time to determine, and the DOJ was notably slow (and sloppy) off the mark. 

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

I feel like now this is gonna become a thing.  Thanks Pat Robertson.  Still annoying me in hell.

Oh, I only now read that your b'day isn't today, lol.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I suppose let's give Trump credit for getting out in front of the story.  Did the same thing with the Manhattan indictment.  Imma wait until, ya know, Smith actually publicizes the charges.  This is clearly his response to the target letter that told him he would be indicted.

The indictment appears to be under seal (and since it deals with mishandling classified information portions of it may remain under seal).  I think this is a significant development from the target letter of a few days ago.  Ofc, we need to read the indictment to understand the charges (and evidence that is not in the public domain already). 

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

Oh, I only now read that your b'day isn't today, lol.

You're in good company.  Seriously, I thought my original post was pretty clear that I was referring to Falwell's death.  But, my bad.  Live and learn.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're in good company.  Seriously, I thought my original post was pretty clear that I was referring to Falwell's death.  But, my bad.  Live and learn.

Ya mean Pat Robertson's death, right?  Hopefully Fallwell has saved Pat a seat, I'm sure he has.  Enjoy hell Pat!

14 minutes ago, Raja said:

Knew all the wrong'uns are born in may

14 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Somebody’s hitting the grumpy years. 

Oh I see how this is.  Keep it coming.  As long as @mcbigski doesn't spill his drink and make it about how I might be a maneater, we're cool.

Edited by DMC

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Ya mean Pat Robertson's death, right?  Hopefully Fallwell has saved Pat a seat, I'm sure he has.  Enjoy hell Pat!

At this point I'm pretty sure categorically all 1980s religious right figures died on my birthday, May 15.  Terry Dolan, Howard Phillips, James Robison, Paul Weyrich - they are all burning in hell because of my birthday.  You are all welcome.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

At this point I'm pretty sure categorically all 1980s religious right figures died on my birthday, May 15.  Terry Dolan, Howard Phillips, James Robison, Paul Weyrich - they are all burning in hell because of my birthday.  You are all welcome.

Well, ya coulda done it earlier, you had lots of birthdays before now.  But, whatever.  Have another drink/smoke/blunt and enjoy. 

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

Well, ya coulda done it earlier, you had lots of birthdays before now.  But, whatever.  Have another drink/smoke/blunt and enjoy. 

I'm pretty sure my drinking and smoking is exactly what gave me the powers to take down the Christian Right.  Kinda like the end of Raiders when all the Nazis' faces melt.