Football: Windows of missed opportunities

Since old thread is closed.

Update on Hertha BSC and their licensing woes.

Hertha received a license for Bundesliga 2. a couple of days ago (for the moment at least). However, they are still struggling with the extension of that nordic bond, with them having to pay out 40m some time in November. Anyway, as I mentioned they offered to raise the interest rates from 6.5% to 8.5% in exchange for an extension of 2 more years. For that they need the approval of creditors, who hold 2/3 of the bond's volume. Deadline for that was/is today. Right now, they are at 22% approval rating for that plan. So they upped their offer and increased the proposed interest rate to 10.5%. No idea, whether this will get them over the line. And the loan extension is still crucial.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

25 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

My only remaining hope, and it's not a big one, is that the Glazers' pride has them tell Sheikh Jassim to fuck off coz he keeps leaking things for his own advantage. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I've been telling you guys, get ready for this. LIV was a financial disaster and yet they still were able to own the PGA in the end. Tennis is the next likely victim. I'm really curious how long it will take for these oil entities to buy up NFL and NBA teams. I doubt it will take very long. This scene should make it clear:

The oil money is simply too much.

Not quite the classic drama from last year at the CONCACAF Nations League, as the US brought the smackdown on Mexico this time. But of course things still turned ugly near the end, and both teams finished with 9 men. Then Matt Turner started getting lasered by the Mexican fans who also proceeded to chant their homophobic slur whenever he would kick the ball out. This resulted in one short game interruption in the 90th minute (Mexico was already losing by the standard forfeit score) and then finally the crap referee (and he was bad) ended the match in the 8th minute of added time, ending the match short. (12 minutes had been added)

16 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Caicedo to Chelsea apparently.

Bayern was interested, by Caicedo told them he wants to stay in the EPL.

I don’t really get what’s going on with Chelsea. I thought they needed to sell to balance the books having splurged £600 million on basically fuck all and failed to make the Champions League? On top of that you’d think Brighton will want more than the £70 million Arsenal offered them for Caicedo in January. Taken in isolation Caicedo’s certainly a good addition but Fernandez was pretty much the one Boehly signing that clearly worked out so it’s not like that’s the real problem area for Chelsea.

Trying to make sense of Chelsea... :laugh:

No, but seriously. Central Midfield overhaul makes sense, and that's a position that desperately needs strengthening. It's hard to argue with Pochettino's assessment and here's why.

Kovacic is on his way out, Kante left (and was done anyway), Mount is leaving apparently Havertz is also on their selling list and both prefer to play further up the pitch, Gallagher would be sold to generate some revenue and has never quite fit into their squad. Cheek is rumoredly also on his way out. Worth keeping in mind, that they have already shipped of Jorginho to Arsenal.

Fernandez and Caicedo as a CM pairing make sense. 

Question is what they do with their collection of misfit forward and wingers, that's where the issues with their non-sensical signings lie. Pulisic, Ziyech, Aubameyang, possibly Lukaku returning, then there's also Odoi who did not have a super succesful loan spell at Leverkusen. I am not mentioning Sterling and Mudryk here, because after their train crash of a season, I think it'd be hard to write them off after just this one season. And with a more solidity in the middle, who knows.

Some of the departures will probably also be needed to balance the books. Gallagher, Cheek and Mount are particularly attractive sales, as they came through their youth ranks, and would just count as profits on the balance sheets. But if you use them to generate revenue, you create a hole in the squad. So signing Caicedo presumably with another deal that keeps his fee on the books for a few years, rather than now just looks par for the course.

29 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

@A Horse Named Stranger

Thoughts on Yann Bisseck? Young German defender linked to Inter. 

None tbph.

He was a highly rated prospect in Köln, who didn't really make it in Germany for whatever reason. He then bounced around on loan deals across Europe also with limited success. Last season (I mean the 21/22 season) he found a new home in Denmark, where he finally managed to establish himself as first team player, and thus they turned the loan into a permanent transfer. Apparently that was the location he needed to get his career going.

I haven't really seen enough of him playing football to have an opinion on him. Your guess is as good as mine. 

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Not quite the classic drama from last year at the CONCACAF Nations League, as the US brought the smackdown on Mexico this time. But of course things still turned ugly near the end, and both teams finished with 9 men. Then Matt Turner started getting lasered by the Mexican fans who also proceeded to chant their homophobic slur whenever he would kick the ball out. This resulted in one short game interruption in the 90th minute (Mexico was already losing by the standard forfeit score) and then finally the crap referee (and he was bad) ended the match in the 8th minute of added time, ending the match short. (12 minutes had been added)

I missed the game, but reading a report afterwards was pretty disgusting. US-Mexico should be a fun event. This was embarrassing. Here's an article for anyone interested:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37861934/usmnt-rout-mexico-ends-early-referee-discretion

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Trying to make sense of Chelsea... :laugh:

Don't bother. I'm a noob and can tell they're not being very smart. I guess just give it a year or two and hope for the best.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I missed the game, but reading a report afterwards was pretty disgusting. US-Mexico should be a fun event. This was embarrassing. Here's an article for anyone interested:

The game was very good, until it wasn't.  McKennie and Dest should have just walked away and this is not going to do anything for McKennie's growing reputation as a thug.

I can't believe they are bringing back Berhalter.  How is he going to mix with Reyna and Pepi now.  Both who had excellent games yesterday.  His reliance on MLS players was ridiculous considering how much talent there now is overseas.

One of the commentators yesterday brought up a very good point.  With the whole financial parity issues with the Women's team, there was no way the men's side could hire Henry or Vieira since they could not afford them.  They couldn't pay the men's coach $10M when the Women's coach of the #1 ranked team in the world is only making $1M to coach.  So they basically could not hire any of the top coaching options out there.  I probably would have still preferred Marsch though just to get some new blood in there and not to have the baggage with Reyna and Pepi. 

1 hour ago, grozeng said:

I can't believe they are bringing back Berhalter.  How is he going to mix with Reyna and Pepi now.  Both who had excellent games yesterday.  His reliance on MLS players was ridiculous considering how much talent there now is overseas.

He's a horrible coach. Idk what they're thinking.

One of the commentators yesterday brought up a very good point.  With the whole financial parity issues with the Women's team, there was no way the men's side could hire Henry or Vieira since they could not afford them.  They couldn't pay the men's coach $10M when the Women's coach of the #1 ranked team in the world is only making $1M to coach.  So they basically could not hire any of the top coaching options out there.  I probably would have still preferred Marsch though just to get some new blood in there and not to have the baggage with Reyna and Pepi. 

They could absolutely afford to pay both, but just don't want to. The revenue that will be generated between the Women's WC and the North American WC in the next few years will be massive. However, their priorities are still not in order. 

Southgate's picked Alexander-Arnold in midfield. I do think moving from defence into midfield is a little different than starting there but he does have more experience in there than last time Southgate tried it. I still think Southgate's being a little conservative though. England are very well set up to play the defender stepping into midfield to create a box midfield system that's been so popular in the Premier League this year with both Stones and Alexander-Arnold available to him. That'd free Bellingham and, say, Foden up to play the more attacking roles.