Football: Windows of missed opportunities

18 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nkunku is not really news, that one's been known to happen for a long while.

Your blood soaked sugardaddy is making life a lot easier for Boehly by buying quite a few players from their unwanted list.

at least he isn't buying their dross for us. 

49 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Saudi Arabia are doing them a solid by taking Mendy, Koulibaly, Ziyech and Kante off their hands. Aubameyang is most likely headed there too. Arsenal and United are going to overpay for Havertz and Mount respectively.

Kante's contract was running out anyway, no?

But yeah, Koulibaly, Ziyech, Mendy and Aubameyang will help them big time.They just need to find a sucker Pulisic, who is too young to take his career to an Saudi embassy. Also good for Lukaku, that he still wants more from his career than a big paycheck.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Not just that. Questions now being asked as to where Boehly got the buy money from in the first place.....

The Dodgers print money. I doubt there's an issue with his finances, he just spent in a way that hasn't made sense. 

That's not the issue. The emerging question is whether or not Chelsea are secretly owned by the Saudis. That would certainly explain the ridiculous spending levels since the takeover. 

Expect to hear more about this in the coming weeks. 

I don't think Boehly was funded by Saudi Arabia. His consortium also includes billionaires Hansjörg Wyss and Mark Walter and Clearlake Capital Group which is the 14th largest private equity firm in the world.

The issue is the close relations between Clearlake Capital and PIF (the Saudi Investment fund has billions of pounds worth of assets that are being managed by Clearlake). The ease with which Chelsea are offloading unwanted players on bloated wages to Saudi Arabia does raise suspicions of shenanigans taking place between Clearlake and PIF to help Chelsea meet FFP requirements.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Boehly was funded by Saudi Arabia. 

That remains to be seen. 

That they are now having to deny this... Well, we've seen how these things usually go. 

Let's see what Nick Harris et al have to say about it in a few weeks.

Edited by Spockydog

I doubt that the Saudis secretly own or are funding Chelsea because the whole idea of them and the other oil states buying teams is for sportwashing, PR purposes. That's hard to do if you're doing it secretly- and it'd make their open PR job with Newcastle harder by funding direct competition. 

In this instance I suspect it's a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours between Clearlake and PIF, because it gets Chelsea some money and it helps the Saudi's league-building project. Doesn't need the Saudis to be directly invested in Chelsea's success to make sens. 

Why would the owners of Newcastle do anything, at all, to benefit one of their main sporting rivals? They are directly competing with Chelsea for a CL spot. That doesn't make any kind of sense. 

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Why would the owners of Newcastle do anything, at all, to benefit one of their main sporting rivals? They are directly competing with Chelsea for a CL spot. That doesn't make any kind of sense. 

Because Newcastle getting into the Champions League is far from the Saudis only concern? I suspect their major focus is getting the World Cup at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

How does helping Chelsea impact a WC bid?

That's the entire point of their retiree league. Raising profile as a footballing nation. Once that's settled, I suspect it will go the way of Qatar's women team. Never to be heard or seen again.

He wouldn't be the first player to thrive after leaving Chelsea. Time will tell.

But, for now, I'm willing to file all the mockery of this potential signing alongside the comments about Arteta signing Ramsdale last year. 

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

How does helping Chelsea impact a WC bid?

Anyway, turns out Clearlake is 60% owned by PIF. This was not disclosed during the takeover. Why not? 

I haven't seen this reported anywhere. Clearlake owns 60% of Chelsea and it's a firm that does have Saudi money that they manage.