Home Decor

LongRider

This is interesting - I'm suddenly facing the ominous prospect of probably needing to find a place to live and put furniture in it. I'm well over roommates and I've lived in more quirky spots with spaces full of character and over-present eccentric landlords than a full young adult library section over the past few years and a boring small apartment managed by a boring leasing company sounds like heaven. So, actual furniture, probably.

I'm trying to basically no longer buy new clothes and thrift/poshmark just about everything practicable, and I'm wondering if it's possible to take the same approach with home stuff. Estate sales sound intriguing, but aren't a thing in Israel (I think?). Can I just go check one out to get a sense of it? I'm in Boston for a couple of weeks...

23 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

This is interesting - I'm suddenly facing the ominous prospect of probably needing to find a place to live and put furniture in it. I'm well over roommates and I've lived in more quirky spots with spaces full of character and over-present eccentric landlords than a full young adult library section over the past few years and a boring small apartment managed by a boring leasing company sounds like heaven. So, actual furniture, probably.

I'm trying to basically no longer buy new clothes and thrift/poshmark just about everything practicable, and I'm wondering if it's possible to take the same approach with home stuff. Estate sales sound intriguing, but aren't a thing in Israel (I think?). Can I just go check one out to get a sense of it? I'm in Boston for a couple of weeks...

Yes.  You can look on craigslist in the US, it lists items as well as has a section for estate/garage sales.  There must be some kind of antique/vintage shops and or flea markets in Israel that you could check out also.  I think that FB marketplace is probably everywhere so you could look there as well.  

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes.  You can look on craigslist in the US, it lists items as well as has a section for estate/garage sales.  There must be some kind of antique/vintage shops and or flea markets in Israel that you could check out also.  I think that FB marketplace is probably everywhere so you could look there as well.  

There's definitely shops and markets, but this practice of sales out of someone's home/garage is a lot less common, than I know of. I'm sort of curious just to check it out while I'm here (also I'm a bit bored - teaching a class online so I have to be in the US.)

28 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

No. They are prohibited in most apartments, and since people tend to move from an apartment to a house, one would think that accordingly, a lack of waterbed would follow. 

Also, hate to say it, waterbeds truly did suck for sex.

I always got the feeling they did. I only slept on one for a few months and it was when I was 10. It was kind of a cool feeling, but I cannot imagine the sex would be any good unless you regularly broke the damn thing (which I did jumping on my uncle's bed). 

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

1983 called. They want to know why you're ragging on it...

I'll rag on every year of the 80's, thank you very much. Now go do some blow. If you're still hip.

1 hour ago, Madame deVenoge said:

You were fancy and had one of them heated waterbeds!!!

Oh yeah, inherited from a former roommate and the kitties loved that warm WB like no other.  Later on, when I eventually moved I discovered after the bladder was drained that the wires of the heater were melting through and were almost exposed!  ekk!  Fortunately, tragedy was averted, and the WB went to the dump.  I was happy to see it go, the cats, not so much.  And I have to agree with your previous comment, sex on a waterbed, not that much fun.  

Edited by LongRider

7 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Also, hate to say it, waterbeds truly did suck for sex.

Yep, its like sex on the beach or in any aquatic situation.  Things that sound really erotic in your typical virginal mind until you actually try them.  One and done, like visiting Mardi Gras in NO.

ETA: and apologies for swaying away from the thread theme!

Edited by horangi

19 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't know about mattresses, but I wouldn't think any bugs would be living in solid wood furniture.  The pressboard crap, absolutely, anything, moths, ants, bed bugs.

So I hate to burst your bubble, but yes, they can live on solid wood furniture (our solid Charles P. Rogers bedframe from 2008, RIP, bore witness).  You would be surprised how many joins and crevices there are in a lot of furniture where they can camp out.  We eventually had to move because the issue was the tenant below us and he was refusing access to the landlord to fumigate (law is different now).  

17 hours ago, Datepalm said:

You can just go check one out (except for really, really high end ones that are invitation only, usually to the trade).  They will vary WILDLY in quality.  You might try consignment shops as well. You can get almost everything second hand.  I would recommend getting the following new however:  linens (comforter/sheets/towels,etc.), pillows, mattress, basically anything you sleep with.

With lighting, you can get some really interesting table lamps and whatnot, but make sure you check the wiring carefully.  If you buy upholstered furniture, inspect it carefully before you bring it in, and have it cleaned professionally. 

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

I actually have a pillow! It's under my desk at Berkeley, not sure when I'll be able to pick it up, but it is there. I'm a grownup. It's from Target. Kind of excited to go poke about cosignement stores this weekend now!

Have fun!

I want to put a 200x200 wall mural in my  kitchen, but I’m concerned about how soon I would start hating it.

And maybe that money should go to getting a new coffee table and accent chairs or reupholstering the dining chairs. Or you know… a fooking cordless vacuum which costs more than any of the other options :lol: 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I want to put a 200x200 wall mural in my  kitchen, but I’m concerned about how soon I would start hating it.

And maybe that money should go to getting a new coffee table and accent chairs or reupholstering the dining chairs. Or you know… a fooking cordless vacuum which costs more than any of the other options :lol: 

When you start hating a mural, just repaint it!

I am currently cleaning out the apartment I've lived in for the last 7+ years and trying to figure out how I accumulated so much stuff in that time period.  Most of it was left by my ex gf but still, I moved in with a pick up truck load of stuff or less, but it's somehow grown into a mass easily 8 times as large.  

On 6/21/2023 at 8:19 AM, RhaenysBee said:

murals worry me a lot.

why do murals worry you, again? 

We have a… let’s Google this and learn a new word today instead of describing it… a council cleanup. That’s a rather lame word, sorry. Anyway, we have that today, and my minimalist and hoarder identities are fighting over what I should dump and what I should keep. 

I guess the damaged mirror that I never bothered to get recut and framed is finally going. If I didn’t do it in 3 years, I’m not going to. Same for leftover ikea parts and a Facebook marketplace retro phone table. Hmm, I will probably go with the if I didn’t touch this in over a 1 year, it’s going rule. 

Edited by RhaenysBee