Best of the internet thread: Bester

Derfel Cadarn

This story has already been posted here, but it makes me so happy that I'm posting it again.  When the 1700s come to the rescue. The article quotes in full the description of the skipper of an eight-metre sailing boat which broke its rudder and was rescued by the three-masted Götheborg of Sweden. 

We repeatedly emphasized that we were aboard a small 8-meter sailboat, but the response was the same each time: “We are a 50-meter three-masted sailboat, and we offer our assistance in towing you to Paimpol.” We were perplexed by the size difference between our two boats, as we feared being towed by a boat that was too large and at too fast a speed that could damage our boat.

The arrival of the Götheborg on the scene was rapid and surprising, as we did not expect to see a merchant ship from the East India Company of the XVIII century. This moment was very strange, and we wondered if we were dreaming. Where were we? What time period was it?

Also: the Götheborg's Instagram. Plus, like any self-respecting eighteenth-century sailing ship, it has a LinkedIn account.  

This is mad. 

It's either a fantastic piece of spectacularly flawless CGI, or a terrifying, real-life nightmare sci-fi scenario for the people inside that plane.

I've seen this a few times over the years. It was allegedly shot in 2014, the same year MH370 disappeared off the face of the earth.

Like the top commenter says, I've never wanted a UFO video to be fake as much as this one. 

*shudders*

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

This is mad. 

It's either a fantastic piece of spectacularly flawless CGI, or a terrifying, real-life nightmare sci-fi scenario for the people inside that plane.

I've seen this a few times over the years. It was allegedly shot in 2014, the same year MH370 disappeared off the face of the earth.

Like the top commenter says, I've never wanted a UFO video to be fake as much as this one. 

*shudders*

Isn't there a theory that MH370 was ditched into the Indian Ocean by a mentally disturbed pilot who had locked his co-pilot of the cabin and depressurized the passenger compartment, putting everyone else on board to death?  

To me, that's a much scarier scenario.

Edited by Tears of Lys
Forgot the "was."

7 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Isn't there a theory that MH370 was ditched into the Indian Ocean by a mentally disturbed pilot who had locked his co-pilot of the cabin and depressurized the passenger compartment, putting everyone else on board to death?  

To me, that's a much scarier scenario.

There are a whole bunch of theories. Nobody knows what happened. Some people reckon it was the US Air Force. Who the hecc knows...

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

This account is amongst the best on Xhitter. Stuff like this, and all the dogs, are what keep me there. 

I watched the original version back then as it was only released in 3 cities worldwide. LA, NYC, and Toronto. I still have the program given out to film goers then.

I love it when people talk about Brando on that film: He showed up 40 lbs overweight; he didn’t read the script or the Conrad novel; Coppola had to sit with him for days while everyone waited; he wanted to murder Dennis Hopper; blah blah.

Take all of that and put it together, it’s still the least insane thing that happened on the set of that movie.

26 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I love it when people talk about Brando on that film: He showed up 40 lbs overweight; he didn’t read the script or the Conrad novel; Coppola had to sit with him for days while everyone waited; he wanted to murder Dennis Hopper; blah blah.

Take all of that and put it together, it’s still the least insane thing that happened on the set of that movie.

I still remember walking out of the theater that afternoon and the absolute stillness of the crowd. It was as if the entire audience was in a state of shell-shocked. No talk of interesting scenes or asking about opinions but dead silence. Personally, I felt as if I was in a war and had just got out. It was that intense.

One of our best friends did the music supervision and direction for Apocalypse Now.  It's the work he is still most proud of in his long career of producing one Big Important Significant Work after another, not just starting even, with his work with Taj Mahal.

We didn't know him then, of course, for all kinds of reasons, including age difference.  We hooked up a lot later.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

This account is amongst the best on Xhitter. Stuff like this, and all the dogs, are what keep me there. 

Idk if it's even a Vietnam war movie. It just takes place there (obvious dig at people who say Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie).

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

He shaved his head just before shooting without telling anyone. Brando is on the short list of greatest actors ever, but he was a hilarious pain in the ass and his bad behavior almost knocked him out of Hollywood. 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk if it's even a Vietnam war movie. It just takes place there (obvious dig at people who say Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie).

He shaved his head just before shooting without telling anyone. Brando is on the short list of greatest actors ever, but he was a hilarious pain in the ass and his bad behavior almost knocked him out of Hollywood. 

You know the scene in the 3rd act where they arrive at Kurtz’ base? All those scattered corpses looked pretty good right? That’s because they were actual corpses. Bonus: it turned out that the corpse wranglers couldn’t meet their corpse quota out of the morgue so they started robbing actual graves.

Not to mention the sets being destroyed by weather, heart attacks, tropical disease, delays, Copola’s behaviour… oh, and the three Filipino crew members who died during the filming; at least one of them buried in his Apocalypse Now T-shirt. 

Yup. 

24 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You know the scene in the 3rd act where they arrive at Kurtz’ base? All those scattered corpses looked pretty good right? That’s because they were actual corpses. Bonus: it turned out that the corpse wranglers couldn’t meet their corpse quota out of the morgue so they started robbing actual graves.

Not to mention the sets being destroyed by weather, heart attacks, tropical disease, delays, Copola’s behaviour… oh, and the three Filipino crew members who died during the filming; at least one of them buried in his Apocalypse Now T-shirt. 

Yup. 

I watched the Hearts of Darkness doc not that long ago. So much weird shit went happened. IIRC Coppola tried to commit suicide three different times, Sheen had a heart attack on set that delayed shooting, the film was suppose to take a few months to shoot, but ended up taking well over a year, etc. It was the film set from hell and yet somehow they made something that's on the AFI's Top 100 list. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched the Hearts of Darkness doc not that long ago. So much weird shit went happened. IIRC Coppola tried to commit suicide three different times, Sheen had a heart attack on set that delayed shooting, the film was suppose to take a few months to shoot, but ended up taking well over a year, etc. It was the film set from hell and yet somehow they made something that's on the AFI's Top 100 list. 

It’s a condemnation to an idiot megalomaniac and testament to a brilliant film maker that Coppola managed to pull that one out. One of my favorite films.

I never saw Heart of Darkenss. Most of my Apocalypse Now anecdotes come from Easy Riders Raging Bulls. It was truly, truly insane. 

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It’s a condemnation to an idiot megalomaniac and testament to a brilliant film maker that Coppola managed to pull that one out. One of my favorite films.

I never saw Heart of Darkenss. Most of my Apocalypse Now anecdotes come from Easy Riders Raging Bulls. It was truly, truly insane. 

Heart of Darkness is the book. Hearts of Darkness is the doc. Both are worth checking out. The book is really short.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heart of Darkness is the book

Set in Congo during the Belgian colonial slavery era.  Joseph Conrad, before he was able to become a writer, sailed that route on the Congo River, and witnessed . . . horrors.

If all you all already know this -- forget the above!  :cheers: