Football: The summer of selling (out)

polishgenius

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I guess it's just that Atalanta don't want to sell, so they're asking for way more than he's worth.

Probably. Although, Atalanta seem to have already signed a replacement for him - a fee for El Bilal Toure has just been agreed with Almeria.

Also the other potential options of Kolo Muani and Goncalo Ramos are priced even higher. Jonathan David is similarly priced although he doesn't appear to involve himself much in build up play but is a more proven goal scorer.

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm a little surprised how much interest there appears to be in him given how little he's done so far.

Imo, he's being overrated for two reasons. 1) the hattrick he scored that one time for Denmark against Finland and 2) his surname is similar to Haaland.

6 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm a little surprised how much interest there appears to be in him given how little he's done so far.

It's really because (somehow, still) there's very few world-class 9s around. For any team who needs one, anyone who looks like he has good potential to be one is to be snapped up even if he's overpriced for where he is now. 

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Imo, he's being overrated for two reasons. 1) the hattrick he scored that one time for Denmark against Finland and 2) his surname is similar to Haaland.

That's why the media and fans overhype him. I don't think it's why clubs are interested though, except as a marketing gimmick. I'm fairly sure ETH wants him less for the Haaland-ish stuff he does and more for the stuff he does that Haaland doesn't (or at least is learning on the job at City)- that is, drop deep, interact with the midfield, work hard as a pressing striker etc. Basically he's a player who could be moulded, stylistically, towards Kane as much as towards Haaland and that's obviously attractive. A risk, but with the market for strikers the way it is, everyone is a risk. 

The finishing is an issue. He's a mixed bag there. But it is worth noting that while he played a lot of games he didn't play a lot of minutes, and his goals-to-minutes and shot-to-goal ratios last season weren't all that far off Kolo Muani. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate to when he is playing full games, but it's not unreasonable to assume at his age that the scoring stats will go up.

I mean, he could be a Mudryk, shining in a few opportunities but potentially overwhelmed with the pressure on. But I get why we're in for him and why other teams are sniffing around. 

8 hours ago, Raja said:

Yeah, not sure how much money we could have saved going for him.

I’m pretty sure Arsenal throwing over £100 million West Ham’s way is influencing what Brighton think they can get.

Jaissle (RB Salzburg) apparently on his way to Saudi Arabia.

Semi-surprising. He was one of the up and coming headcoaches, and there was a very good chance, that one of the next Bundesliga jobs would be his to turn down. I guess one year in Saudi Arabia pays like 5 years+. So there's that.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I’m pretty sure Arsenal throwing over £100 million West Ham’s way is influencing what Brighton think they can get.

Which was influenced by Madrid spending 100m on Bellingham, which was influenced by Chelsea spending 90m on mudryk, which was influenced by United spending 90m on Antony. This market is fucked. Reality is Brighton are in Europe, Caicedo just signed a new contract, is only 21 and incredibly important to their team. They don’t have to sell.

I don't think Rice's transfer fee has anything to do with it. Reports from early June were saying that Brighton have priced Caicedo at £100m. Chelsea were simply hoping to reach a compromise in the £70-80m range but it's clear that Brighton aren't budging.

14 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

United being able to pay good money is also a factor.

Probably, but I'd say the biggest factor is the striker market is fucked. Frankfurt have put a €100m price tag on Kolo Muani (some reports say they want add-ons on top of that), Gonçalo Ramos has a release clause of €120m and Benfica don't compromise much so even if they don't demand for the release clause to be paid, he would still cost at least €100m, Juve want around €80m for an injury prone Vlahovic, Lille wants around €65-70m for Jonathan David and Levy will not even enter into negotiations with an English club for Kane who is also going to cost €100m (or more) and would command the biggest salary of the options as well. Arsenal ain't selling Balogun to a potential top 4 rival and Ivan Toney is serving a ban and will miss half the season. So there aren't many options and all the available options carry risk and are expensive as fuck.

Edited by Consigliere

21 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Which was influenced by Madrid spending 100m on Bellingham, 

Bellingham was £90 million wasn’t he? Also he looks like he might be the best midfielder in world football for the next decade. Rice and Caicedo are good players but they’re not generational talents like that. 

Anthony was clearly United getting taken for mugs. Mudryk remains to be seen but may be Boehly doing stupid stuff.