Football: The summer of selling (out)

polishgenius

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nobody in their prime is going there, i don't care how much is getting offered. 

Sure. People said the same thing about LIV until the massive checks came in. 

Probably not, but if money was a minor concern for Mbappe, he would be more open to a move to Real instead of squeezing another 90m (writing this feels kinda ridiculous) out of his contract. I mean, he has already earnt stupid money he will in all likelihood never be able to blow. There's only that many Maserattis you can buy.

30 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Probably not, but if money was a minor concern for Mbappe, he would be more open to a move to Real instead of squeezing another 90m (writing this feels kinda ridiculous) out of his contract. I mean, he has already earnt stupid money he will in all likelihood never be able to blow. There's only that many Maserattis you can buy.

There's stupid money and there's earning 700m€ for a one year contract that would allow him to fill in the gap until he can move to Real Madrid.

I don't really get why that Saudi club are offering PSG a world record fee. PSG are so desperate to force Mbappe into accepting a transfer that they've excluded him from their preseason and are threatening to bench him for a season. Half (or less) of that amount could've been enough for PSG to accept.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I don't really get why that Saudi club are offering PSG a world record fee. PSG are so desperate to force Mbappe into accepting a transfer that they've excluded him from their preseason and are threatening to bench him for a season. Half (or less) of that amount could've been enough for PSG to accept.

I assume its so the league has the world record transfer fee and no other reason. 

Remember Trevor Francis as the guy with the absolute fastest speed across the ground who could also make lateral cuts with the ball fluently in order to create new angles.  And he did it on some of the worst pitches you can imagine, gouged up and soggy as sin.

Tee hee...

British billionaire Joe Lewis charged in the US with insider trading

Joe Lewis, the billionaire real estate investor and owner of Tottenham Hotspur football club, has been charged over multiple alleged instances of insider trading, US prosecutors said on Tuesday.

The 86-year-old, who is one of Britain’s richest men, is accused of tipping off employees, associates, friends and romantic interests with non-public information about companies in which he had invested, and lending some of them hundreds of thousands of dollars to trade on the knowledge. He has been charged with 19 counts, including securities fraud and conspiracy to commit securities fraud and make false statements.

I wonder who else he is accused of sharing illegal information with. Hmmm...

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I know it's not their main squad. Still though it's fun to see this strange experiment work. 

Wrexham only took control once the referee gave an utterly bullshit red card to Gore. Until then United's youth team were holding their own and the match was pretty even.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

Wrexham only took control once the referee gave an utterly bullshit red card to Gore. Until then United's youth team were holding their own and the match was pretty even.

They still had a 2-1 lead beforehand despite United dominating possession. Overall I think that's a great showing on their part.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They still had a 2-1 lead beforehand despite United dominating possession. Overall I think that's a great showing on their part.

United also created more chances but were not as clinical in front of goal. Would hardly call it a great showing though. It was a decent enough showing against a youth team down to ten men.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

United also created more chances but were not as clinical in front of goal. Would hardly call it a great showing though. It was a decent enough showing against a youth team down to ten men.

Sure, there are caveats. But isn't Wrexham still a pretty low level team all things considered? 

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure, there are caveats. But isn't Wrexham still a pretty low level team all things considered? 

Youth team football is pretty low level and probably similar in level to League 2 (division 4) but with less of the physicality. United's youth team is not even top 4 in the country. A lot of those youth players will probably end up spending their careers in the 3rd and 4th divisions. Only a very few will end up good enough to play at a higher level.

Edited by Consigliere