Football: So it begins

Raja

16 minutes ago, Raja said:

Poch you're great but what are you doing wearing a black tie over a black shirt

games gone

I feel like he's always gone black shirt with black tie.

Both sides looked like conceding everytime the other had the ball today but Fernandez was excellent for Chelsea today so they had the ball more. Sterling also probably had his best game for Chelsea.

It's not news to anyone but Liverpool need a defensive midfielder. Klopp probably got it wrong going with Gakpo in midfield though. I can see the thinking because he is a good presser (and so's Jota) and it did work a bit in the first half but once Fernandez starting getting a grip of midfield it was too loose. It'll probably have to be Jones and Mac Allister in midfield until we do manage to get a defensive midfielder.

Just now, ljkeane said:

I feel like he's always gone black shirt with black tie.

Yes and he is always wrong!

It's legit the exact same colour. I can excuse a different shade, but that is never the case with him

Liverpool obviously lack a DM but they also have a system problem.  TAA’s position change still leaves far too much vulnerable space and Robertson is still not a LCB.  Plus we no longer have as much pressing ability among our MF and forwards so we’re too easy to play through.  We don’t currently have the organization or the players for a high line plus high press system.  A DM who can cover a lot of ground would help a lot but we still need to figure out what we’re doing with the two FBs and what shape to adopt in defensive transition.  Does it even make sense for TAA to still play as an inverted FB if now have more ball-playing MFs and a gaping void in defense?; that switch last year was really a bandaid for Henderson’s abysmal composure on the ball

Chelsea had a clearer system and organization today, despite coming off a weaker season and (IMO) looking like a weaker team on paper.  They used their FBs much more effectively for width while still controlling the center through their MF.

Similar to last season, Liverpool looked physically unprepared for the start of the season.  If the press is a step too slow and/or uncoordinated, then it just wastes energy.  The players lost all momentum as the game went on, just like against Fulham last year.

22 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool obviously lack a DM but they also have a system problem.  TAA’s position change still leaves far too much vulnerable space and Robertson is still not a LCB.

I actually thought we looked alright defensively on the right. Alexander-Arnold is so good on the ball we just aren't going to leave him sitting next to the centre back in a flat back four, the alternative to him being midfield when we lose the ball is him overlapping Salah on the right wing when we lose the ball. Konate's pretty good as the right of three and, unusually for the last few seasons, most of the problems came down the left rather than the right.

On the other hand, yeah, Robertson really doesn't look comfortable at LCB and Van Dijk no longer has the capacity to cover like he used to. I didn't watch the preseason games but the general consensus seemed to be it was a problem in those games too.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Chelsea has no excuse not to have a good season since they're out of Europe.

How much of a factor is burnout for clubs that constantly make deep runs in multiple tournaments over the course of several years?

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How much of a factor is burnout for clubs that constantly make deep runs in multiple tournaments over the course of several years?

Big factor. That's why teams with good squad depth and quality players on the bench are affected less. 

For example, Chelsea won the league in 2016/2017 partly because they were out of European competitions. Next season they finished 5th even though they signed a bunch of players in the summer.

3 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Big factor. That's why teams with good squad depth and quality players on the bench are affected less. 

For example, Chelsea won the league in 2016/2017 partly because they were out of European competitions. Next season they finished 5th even though they signed a bunch of players in the summer.

Isn't this also a reason why teams move players around a lot? It's a pretty new thing for US sports, but I've always gotten the impression top teams in Europe shop players around in part so they can bring in dudes who are fresher. I don't think it's the main reason why you see so much more movement, but I'd guess it's a consideration. 

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

It's nice to have rich ownership that doesn't try to bone saw its way to a championship. I'll settle for arrogance and incompetence. 

Boehly must love The Joker cause homeboy sets money on fire. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Man, are chelsea really getting both Lavia and Caicedo?

Also, re: Liverpool

There are still like 2 weeks left in the window so should give enough time to get someone but I lowkey think they should take a punt on Douglas Luiz

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I don't see this. Like I said they are in the market for DM (that's what Tuchel really wants).  That four letter rag is usually quite well informed about what goes on at Bayern, so that move could very well happen, but like I said, I don't think it makes that much sense from squad building perspective.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

There are still like 2 weeks left in the window so should give enough time to get someone but I lowkey think they should take a punt on Douglas Luiz

I think the Caicedo saga will now force Liverpool to pull the trigger and Lavia. Either that or (re-?)join the race for Amrabat, with whom they were linked in January. But on the hand pretty much any club looking for a DM has been rumored to be interested in him (including Bayern).

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Isn't this also a reason why teams move players around a lot? It's a pretty new thing for US sports, but I've always gotten the impression top teams in Europe shop players around in part so they can bring in dudes who are fresher. I don't think it's the main reason why you see so much more movement, but I'd guess it's a consideration. 

Partly yes, but for all kinds of reasons. They might not fit in, they might want to leave themselves due to lack of playing time, or they earn too much just to sit on the bench. For every financial, sporting or human wise aspect possible.

46 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The fuck is Neyman thinking? 

Makes sense for him to take the bag in Saudi Arabia. PSG want to get rid of him, nobody else is having him for anywhere near the wages he wants, he's injury prone and misses large parts of every season and he seems more interested in partying than football. He's only agreed to a two-year contract as well so the door is still open to him if he wants to come back to Europe.