US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

My take is that conservative innate racial hatred and loathing of women disqualifies at least three of the candidates at the debate.

The other thing I am wondering more and more about is this:

'Will Trump participate in *ANY* debates?'

Yes, Trump is loud and bellicose, but he seems even more unfocused than before, continually going off on tangents and rants. Then there is the way he walked out of at least two interviews not that long ago because he couldn't handle even softball questions. True, this incoherence and hostility wouldn't phase most Trump voters - but he can't afford to lose any.

Edited by ThinkerX

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

Yes, Trump is loud and bellicose, but he seems even more unfocused than before, continually going off on tangents and rants. Then there is the way he walked out of at least two interviews not that long ago because he couldn't handle even softball questions. True, this incoherence and hostility wouldn't phase most Trump voters - but he can't afford to lose any.

I don't think he will participate unless there's a reason not to.  He has a lot to lose and not a lot to gain by attending the debates.  The other candidates ought to hammer him for being too cowardly to show up.  But they won't, instead they'll all* proceed with the strategy of not criticizing Trump and just hoping he goes away on his own. 

* Not Christie or Hutchinson, but because they are so outnumbered by apparent Trump supporters on the debate stage, it doesn't really matter what they say. 

30 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

My take is that conservative innate racial hatred and loathing of women disqualifies at least three of the candidates at the debate.

The other thing I am wondering more and more about is this:

Not in the primary, unless it someone does become 1-on-1 and is losing.

But I think he'll absolutely debate Biden in the general. He, along with most Republicans, have bought their own bullshit that Biden is totally senile and he thinks he'd destroy him in a debate. Despite that also being what he/they thought in 2020 and proven wrong.

23 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't think he will participate unless there's a reason not to.  He has a lot to lose and not a lot to gain by attending the debates.  The other candidates ought to hammer him for being too cowardly to show up.  But they won't, instead they'll all* proceed with the strategy of not criticizing Trump and just hoping he goes away on his own. 

* Not Christie or Hutchinson, but because they are so outnumbered by apparent Trump supporters on the debate stage, it doesn't really matter what they say. 

Where it might get interesting is should one of the 'midget' candidates have a spine surgically implanted and start calling out Trump openly. Something like that might give Haley or DeSantis a chance...or at least increased visibility, especially if they can come up with something other than racism and hatred. (Yeah, it is not likely...)

Just now, Fez said:

But I think he'll absolutely debate Biden in the general. He, along with most Republicans, have bought their own bullshit that Biden is totally senile and he thinks he'd destroy him in a debate. Despite that also being what he/they thought in 2020 and proven wrong.

I suspect Trump's handlers will move heaven and hell to keep him off the debate stage - and away from all but the softest of softball interviews even after the primaries.

But if it does happen...I suspect Trump will get so blatantly bested that even the saner members of his fan base will have grave doubts.

44 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

No, conservatives will use sexist and racial attacks against those they don't like, but it doesn't stop them liking women and racial minorities who agree with them. Sarah Palin was in many ways the proto Trump and the Trumpy type of Republicans loved her at the time despite her being a woman.

13 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Where it might get interesting is should one of the 'midget' candidates have a spine surgically implanted and start calling out Trump openly. Something like that might give Haley or DeSantis a chance...or at least increased visibility, especially if they can come up with something other than racism and hatred. (Yeah, it is not likely...)

This has already happened with Hutchinson and Christie. It doesn't seem to have made much difference. 

11 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

But if it does happen...I suspect Trump will get so blatantly bested that even the saner members of his fan base will have grave doubts.

The saner part of his fan base that doesn't have doubts about his 92 (or is it 93?) indictments (and counting), will be swayed by him getting destroyed in a debate with Joe Biden.

I have some issues with that premise.

50 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not convinced he'll show up to the general debates either. There's zero upside for him debating at all given how clueless he sounds most of the time these days and how he's walking punching bag. 

40 minutes ago, Darzin said:

This has already happened with Hutchinson and Christie. It doesn't seem to have made much difference. 

Neither ever had a chance from the jump, but it's a bit weird that the few that might were largely sucking up to him. 

Frackin' clown fascists all the way down. 

Ramaswamy told CNN’s Abby Phillip, “...I don’t think someone just because they’re born in this country, even if they’re a sixth generation American should automatically enjoy all the privileges of citizenship until they’ve actually earned it.”... 'So one of the things I’ve said is that every high school student who graduates from high school should have to pass the same civics test that every immigrant has to pass in order to become a citizen of this country.”

Then he informed us "the Constitution is what won us the American Revolution."

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not convinced he'll show up to the general debates either. There's zero upside for him debating at all given how clueless he sounds most of the time these days and how he's walking punching bag. 

The upside is that he (and importantly, many of his advisors) think that Biden can barely string a sentence together and that the debates will be a knock out to clinch victory. 

So... I was making a joke about TFG mailing in his measurements, but apparently that's what happened. He self-reported. What a joke. Why not let him submit a mugshot of a male model, too.

Edited by Mindwalker

I don’t think there’s much evidence that running on transphobia is a vote winner or money maker.

I do wish democrats would take a much more vocal stance though, like abortion I think there’s a risk of politicians treating the loud moral majority(read minority)as the benchmark for common  political thought or overestimate it’s appeal

2 hours ago, Fez said:

The upside is that he (and importantly, many of his advisors) think that Biden can barely string a sentence together and that the debates will be a knock out to clinch victory. 

I want to hear a repeat of Biden's "Will you shut up, man!" to Trump.  Loved it!