Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

20 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Seven seasons of Clone Wars on the one hand; Diddly squat post episode 9 on the other. 

Suspect that's at least partly due to Disney wanting to keep the post episode 9 period open while they decide what to do with it. They may be hoping that one or more of the TV series can be used as a launching pad into what comes next. 

Also, Clone Wars was I think largely made prior to the sequel trilogy. It kicked off in 2008, three years after 2005's Revenge of the Sith. With Rise of Skywalker appearing in 2019, that means the sequels are one or two cartoon seasons behind comparatively. 

I wouldn't necessarily have pinned any of the Star Wars films as the basis for a sprawling extended universe. But the originals came out the right time and the fandom around them just seemed to hit a kind of critical mass where there would always be a market for 'new' material. 

Edited by dog-days

Yeah I don't have any actual proof coz that's hard to procure and some of it will be what LucasArts then and Disney now would be willing to comission, but we started to get EU stories set around the prequels and in between them and the OT pretty much immediately and that's continued right through the the disney acquisition and the new canon.

It's possible that the lack of anything building on the sequels has been just because Disney hasn't wanted it, but I find that hard to believe they want nothing considering how much other content they're churning out. Eight years since TFA and barely a peep. No side stories about the Knights of Ren, nothing about that weird alien lady from TFA (both of whom seem like Abrams intended them for expansion tbh), no interim stories about how the New Republic fucked it and let the New Order rise to power. One film in development, about Rey launching a new Jedi order (which may or may not be an actual New Jedi Order film), and that's it.

And I don't see any demand for it either. Just doesn't seem like anyone cares, either creatively or the fandom. Almost all of the projects currently in development, in all mediums, are PT and ST stuff. Some set much further in the past. Basically none in the future.

Maybe I'm just projecting because as a wishful thinker/wannabe writer I've had many many many thoughts about stories that I think would work around the PT but none for the ST. There are other reasons to factor in, as dog-days is saying. But I feel like the available evidence fits the claim, even if it doesn't prove it.

38 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Seven seasons of Clone Wars on the one hand; Diddly squat post episode 9 on the other. 

Let’s not give prequel-era Lucas too much credit though, what does the Clone Wars series ultimately rely on? There’s a clone war going on, and there’s these guys called Anakin and Obi-Wan and Yoda fighting in it. I could’ve told you that in 1977. Filoni made a decent series, but I don’t see what ‘space’ Lucas provided other than what was already there.

Im not sure Lucas is as bad a writer as this forum suggests though - he did write the original Star Wars screenplay and story  which is universally acclaimed (Oscar nominations included) Yes his associates helped him brush up the banter but the story and characters is all his. Same with American Graffiti. 

The PT expanded the clone wars in terms of the clone origins, the various factions involved, the planets and scope and its ultimate resolution@DaveSumm

9 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Let’s not give prequel-era Lucas too much credit though, what does the Clone Wars series ultimately rely on? There’s a clone war going on, and there’s these guys called Anakin and Obi-Wan and Yoda fighting in it. I could’ve told you that in 1977. Filoni made a decent series, but I don’t see what ‘space’ Lucas provided other than what was already there.

lmao come on. Are you really saying Filoni didn't use the character arc established for Anakin in the prequels, create several plot arcs based around the Jedi Order and Temple as depicted in the prequels, use Darth Sidious/Palpatine's presence based on the prequels, use Order 66 as the ending point? 

Or are you saying that Filoni would have done all that stuff anyway and it's just a coincidence that what he happened to come up with is so similar to ideas Lucas established or properly developed in the PT? 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

But if his ideas are so terrible then why are most of the tv shows, merchandising ,characters etc still based around movies 1-6 and the clone wars ?

I think to clarify this most merchandising, in fact the entire SW franchise leans incredibly heavily on the OT. It’s still built on the recognisable characters and setting created in that era. Even something like Grogu is just a baby Yoda, hardly original. I don’t see much from the prequels or clone wars that is filtering through to the wider consciousness. 

Even then the reason OT themes still get pumped out is because the movie industry has no new ideas and so keeps recycling old ones. 

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Even then the reason OT themes still get pumped out is because the movie industry has no new ideas and so keeps recycling old ones. 

This is the biggest downer. Was John Williams checked out while composing the ST music ? Other than Reys theme, everything else is completely forgettable. The Prequels and the OT both had so much better music and unique themes in every episode. Across The Stars is possibly the single most beautiful piece across all the eps( other than Leia’s Theme maybe) 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's possible that the lack of anything building on the sequels has been just because Disney hasn't wanted it, but I find that hard to believe they want nothing considering how much other content they're churning out.

The alternative is that despite this being one of the biggest media properties in the world, one that internationally renowned creatives line up to work on, nobody has had a single idea inspired by characters that are extremely popular among younger fans. That's just silly. If there's no published material in a SW time period, it's because the publishers don't want to publish material in that period.

Eight years since TFA and barely a peep. No side stories about the Knights of Ren, nothing about that weird alien lady from TFA (both of whom seem like Abrams intended them for expansion tbh), no interim stories about how the New Republic fucked it and let the New Order rise to power.

There are indeed such stories. Comics, novels, games, everything.

Maybe I'm just projecting because as a wishful thinker/wannabe writer I've had many many many thoughts about stories that I think would work around the PT but none for the ST.

I think so, yeah.

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

There are indeed such stories. Comics, novels, games, everything.

@mormont is correct. Phasma by Delilah Dawson, Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse, Star Wars: Allegiance and Star Wars Adventures (comics), Force Collector (a YA novel), Canto Bight by Saladin Ahmed, Leia, Princess of Aldaraan (YA book), and Captain Phasma (comic) all come to mind. 

(Don't ask about my reading habits, you'll only be disappointed.)

55 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yes his associates helped him brush up the banter but the story and characters is all his. Same with American Graffiti.

The young hungry wunderkind that made those two movies is not the guy who wrote the prequels.

He lost something along the way. He was also really more a born producer than he was a writer or director, and that's the role in which he most excelled.

59 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

lmao come on. Are you really saying Filoni didn't use the character arc established for Anakin in the prequels,

But once again, we already knew this. We knew he was a friend and pupil of Obi-Wan’s, who fought in the clone wars, and then turned to the dark side. The grand total of his arc seems to be “he’s a whiny prick who then suddenly killed some kids”. Filoni was the one who actually bothered to include an arc, showing Anakin develop sympathies for more totalitarian politics, and actually trying to smooth over the two characters of Anakin and Vader.

create several plot arcs based around the Jedi Order

I mean maaaybe? I’m struggling to think of any critical details that Filoni really used as a jumping off point. They’re a bunch of stoics who sit around in a circle, there’s way less detail than we wanted to see. 

use Darth Sidious/Palpatine's presence based on the prequels

Again no, he was always going to figure in anyone’s version of the prequels. He’s the Emperor to whom Vader swears allegiance, he’s critical to Anakin’s story. 

use Order 66 as the ending point? 

OK, but it’s not like the entire series hinges on that. It ends up there, of course. 

Anyway the original point I was answering was that Lucas did something special that JJ/Disney didn’t, when really all he did was ask Filoni to make a series. Hence, a series exists. It could’ve existed regardless of who made the prequels, and would almost certainly be better for it.

57 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Anyway the original point I was answering was that Lucas did something special that JJ/Disney didn’t, when really all he did was ask Filoni to make a series. Hence, a series exists. It could’ve existed regardless of who made the prequels, and would almost certainly be better for it.

In addition to the points I had mentioned earlier about the PTs contributions, Lucas also worked on the initial seasons of CW before turning it over completely to Filoni to run and ideate. He essentially played the role of a co-showrunner at least for the first one or two seasons.It’s all there in the making of CW.Simply stating that it’s an interchangeable role and anyone could’ve commissioned the show is just silly. We’ve seen how  a bad vs a good showrunner or even an executive producer can drastically change a series quality. Sometimes the same person can do both. Eg- Kathy Kennedy for Mando S1 vs book of boba fett.

Or I’m sure in someone else’s capable hands for example , the LOTR or the Witcher series would’ve almost certainly be better, to use your words. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

But once again, we already knew this. We knew he was a friend and pupil of Obi-Wan’s, who fought in the clone wars, and then turned to the dark side. The grand total of his arc seems to be “he’s a whiny prick who then suddenly killed some kids”. Filoni was the one who actually bothered to include an arc, showing Anakin develop sympathies for more totalitarian politics, and actually trying to smooth over the two characters of Anakin and Vader.

Yep, Filoni is the reason anyone's at all happy or excited to see Anakin back in Ahsoka. He managed to make him occasionally likeable instead of a green screen acrobat that massacres Sand People and kids while pouting; plus, showing how Palpatine groomed him and infiltrated his mind steadily. 

5 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Yep, Filoni is the reason anyone's at all happy or excited to see Anakin back in Ahsoka. He managed to make him occasionally likeable instead of a green screen acrobat that massacres Sand People and kids while pouting; plus, showing how Palpatine groomed him and infiltrated his mind steadily. 

Umm I’m happy because of Filoni, the prequels and ROTS novelisation. Loved Hayden and Ewan in ROTS in particular. Only a Sith deals in absolutes my friend, please don’t speak for everyone here.

4 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

We're excited Anakin is back? 

Well, this thread's certainly been moving fast since the last episode! I figure that complaining about things is the closest the board can manage to excitement. :p