Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

I'm really enjoying it. Not a patch on the original Baldur's Gate games, but a good game nonetheless.

I wish it would give you the option of whether you want to initiate a romance with a character before having them immediately start coming onto you. I got the whole scene where you dance with Wyl and it was nice and all but in the end I turned him down cause I was already romancing Shadowheart. I felt so sorry for him.

I don't like that you can romance multiple characters either. I preferred it in Baldur's Gate 2 where Aerie and Jaheira would fight over you and eventually force you to pick one of them.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Eldritch Blast 

5 warlock with pact of the blade, 6 bard with college of swords, the best rapier from act 3 will get him 4 attacks a turn using charisma for them. Stuff as many tadpoles in his head as you can to max out cull the weak. 

Or eldritch blast like relic said.

You'd be fine just maxing out Warlock too. Eldrich Blast is great of course and well worth investing in to when you're going for a blasty spellcaster but especially if you have a bard in party for the extra short rest he'd end up being able to cast 12 5th level spells per day which is an insane amount of Fireballs/Flame Strikes/Cones of Cold/Walls of Fire depending on the shape of the area you need devastated etc. Hunger of Hadar is also an absolutely busted spell for all sorts of reasons.

GN posted a very thorough set of GPU benchmarks and note it'll likely be going in to their CPU testing suite as its performance is largely CPU bound when it comes to modern GPUs - all of which perform excellently - with even much older cards holding up very well on 1440p and especially 1080p. I don't know if anyone's running one but they also show much better and smoother performance from Intel's Arc GPUs on Vulcan vs DX11

21 hours ago, Poobah said:

GN posted a very thorough set of GPU benchmarks and note it'll likely be going in to their CPU testing suite as its performance is largely CPU bound when it comes to modern GPUs - all of which perform excellently - with even much older cards holding up very well on 1440p and especially 1080p. I don't know if anyone's running one but they also show much better and smoother performance from Intel's Arc GPUs on Vulcan vs DX11

My GTX 970 is struggling with it.

19 hours ago, Poobah said:

Wow now that is an old GPU, nearing 10 years old now right? I've been starting to look at upgrading but I'm at least on a 1070.

I've got my eye on the RTX 3060, seems a reasonable price and has 12GB.

49 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I've got my eye on the RTX 3060, seems a reasonable price and has 12GB.

Right now the 3000 series cards at a steep discount, you’d probably get a 3080 for around 600-700 usd which is a great deal IMO( half the price of the 4080 and around 80% of the same performance in game)

Even I had upgraded from my gtx 970 to 3080

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

• 2 weeks later...

I just helped my daughter with perf stuff for bg3, and the big one that helped the most was putting it on an ssd. Even a sata ssd made a massive difference, especially in baldurs gate (the city).

We also got a 3070 (from a 1050). The extra memory is probably a big help there. That put everything at ultra settings with great performance.

But the ssd was the biggest win, by a large margin. Prior to that some areas were just not even playable.

45 minutes ago, Darryk said:

What would people here rank as some of the best spells in the game? I get confused as to which ones to focus on.

I assume Eldrich Blast would be one.

Is Bless considered a must-have spell?

I find anything to do with crowd control is very useful, because so many fights include many enemies.

So I really like Grease, or silence, or Fireball.

Bless is ok, but tends to get concentration broken 

I also like Spirit Guardians, it’s so powerful against undead creatures

Edited by Heartofice

1 hour ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I just helped my daughter with perf stuff for bg3, and the big one that helped the most was putting it on an ssd. Even a sata ssd made a massive difference, especially in baldurs gate (the city).

We also got a 3070 (from a 1050). The extra memory is probably a big help there. That put everything at ultra settings with great performance.

But the ssd was the biggest win, by a large margin. Prior to that some areas were just not even playable.

From what I've heard BG3 is also quite CPU intense so if this was part of a new build with a better CPU they would have made a difference too. 

Just now, Poobah said:

From what I've heard BG3 is also quite CPU intense so if this was part of a new build with a better CPU they would have made a difference too. 

It was not, but the cpu for it was relatively decent anyways. This was a machine I bought in 2021 so I could take the 3070 out of it and put in a new machine, and we took the old machine's gpu and put it in this.

But it had a not awesome hdd for storage and with more recent games that just won't fly any more.

Bless is the old standby of firing off before you run into battle, but making it Concentration-based makes it pretty useless. Spirit Guardians aka "Lawnmower of Passive Death" is also Concentration-based but far more insanely useful for dealing out damage.

They really need (haven't played it for a month as they keep breaking it, but maybe they've added it) a UI reminder that the new spell you're casting is going to cancel the old one.

7 hours ago, Darryk said:

What would people here rank as some of the best spells in the game? I get confused as to which ones to focus on.

Hold Person and Hold Monster are extremely strong. With a properly built caster and decent equipment they have almost 100% chance of paralyzing almost any enemy and most enemies can't get out of this condition until the end of the battle. And paralyzed enemeies take autocrits from melee attacks and attacks against them can't miss, so they die very quickly.

Spirit Guardians is incredible against mobs, especially undead, and strong against almost everyone else.

Counterspell is a must have, completely turns around so many fights, especially in Act 3.