Football: Sieg oder Spielabbruch!

A Horse Named Stranger

The PGMOL have admitted the VAR got it wrong and didn’t check the offside for the Diaz goal. Fuck’s sake.

It’s the same VAR who was stood down after the United Wolves game by the way. Just the man they should be putting in for the highest profile match of the weekend.

ETA: It was Hooper that was involved in the Onana mess rather the VAR actually.

Edited by ljkeane

18 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I don't understand why VAR didn't make it their business to check Diaz's goal. This reluctance to interfere only because the linesman decided to raise the flag and not to hurt his ego is ridiculous. 

VAR did check Diaz’s goal. They thought the decision on the field was a goal so they said check complete since it was an obvious goal. But call on field was no goal. By time they realized, guy kicked the ball and you can’t change the result then. Absolutely insane error.

39 minutes ago, Mexal said:

VAR did check Diaz’s goal. They thought the decision on the field was a goal so they said check complete since it was an obvious goal. But call on field was no goal. By time they realized, guy kicked the ball and you can’t change the result then. Absolutely insane error.

Aah ok then. I read PGMOL's statement and they said that VAR "failed to intervene" so I understood it as if they didn't check it. I watched without sound so I was confused as to what exactly happened in the moment.

This is actually much worse, lol.

I was "watching" the Liverpool - Spurs match in the garage while we changed the oil and filters in the cars, and the Spanish-language TV commentators were unimpressed with the referees.  I think the broadcast set a new record for the number of times using the term, "Guai!"

It wasn't like the ref lost control of the match, but instead seemed to get every important call wrong.  The color guy kept on with the "Esta ciego?  Como?" for each of the key moments.

For Liverpool fans, think of it as getting a full season's worth of bad luck out of the way all in one match.  And I trust that Curtis Jones' red will be rescinded at the very least.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

And I trust that Curtis Jones' red will be rescinded at the very least.

Not much chance of that. I think it was harsh but it was still a situation where he ended up stamping through his opponent's ankle. It needs to be a much clearer situation for them to rescind a suspension.

So I'm still pretty pissed off about Liverpool getting robbed of at least a point by the officials' fuck ups (and if we end up missing out on anything significant by 1-3 points I'm going to be extremely pissed off) but on the plus side for the league as a whole City have given everyone else a glimmer of hope with that loss to Wolves. They've been cruising along comfortably even missing De Bruyne but it appears that the absence of both De Bruyne and Rodri is enough to finally discomfort them a bit.

ETA: Just one more thing on last night's fuck ups. Yes the VAR and assistant VAR etc have made a bad mistake with the offside mix up but that's firmly on the PGMOL for me. People make mistakes, it's going to happen, but there should be a clear process in place to prevent a miscommunication like that happening. You watch other sports like rugby, cricket and rugby league do stuff like this there's a clear set of steps the on field officials and video officials go through to come to a decision, the first step of which is almost always saying what the on field decision is.

Edited by ljkeane

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I'm trying not to keep going over this VAR stuff 'cause I can see it irritating me all season but Liverpool have issued a very 'we will be contacting our lawyers' statement on the subject.

Way to turn a moral victory into looking like a bunch of arseholes/whiny scousers.