US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

Some essential questions need to be asked:

1) who is it that needs/wants JJ as Speaker so badly that death threats had to be employed?

2) what is it that JJ as Speaker is to accomplish for these Whos that desperately needs JJ to do?

3) i.e. this could be a single question -- who wants this for what?  who is financing it?

39 minutes ago, Zorral said:

1) who is it that needs/wants JJ as Speaker so badly that death threats had to be employed?

2) what is it that JJ as Speaker is to accomplish for these Whos that desperately needs JJ to do?

3) i.e. this could be a single question -- who wants this for what?  who is financing it?

Good questions, but as I understand it, as of earlier this morning Gym is officially out of the race.

Edited by JGP

3 hours ago, JGP said:

Good questions, but as I understand it, as of earlier this morning Gym is officially out of the race.

However, the death threats and other threats and warnings are continuing against those who didn't support him.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

My guess would be republican strategists who really want to push forward with the Biden impeachment. That impeachment serves as a distraction for the rank and file.

Disturbing sidenote: saw a blurb that cited a survey yesterday (or maybe the day before) that claimed only 22% of republicans had confidence in the electoral system anymore. To me this ties in with comments elsewhere about how elections should be dispensed with. (Couldn't track down the poll in question.)

Piece on covering George Santos from a NYT journalist who has investigated and written about him for a year, and then finally was able to do f2f & fone  interviews.  It's also available in audio at the link.

George Santos Swore He’d Never Talk to Me. Then the Phone Rang.
Ending months of silence, the politician began an unusual dialogue with a reporter he had long avoided

"... And the more we spoke, I came to know something else as well: the peculiar experience of being confided in and lied to at the same time. ...."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/22/nyregion/george-santos-interview.html

No New York Trump trial on Monday due to COVID: AG

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-fraud-trial-delay/

The Donald Trump fraud trial won't happen on Monday because there is a "COVID issue," according to New York Attorney General Letitia James' office.

While details are unclear about the specific issue, it isn't targeting the Trump trial specifically, but the entire New York courthouse, where all cases will be paused on Monday. Typically, when there are infections in a given space the area is treated and disinfected.

Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen is scheduled to testify on Tuesday by Alina Habba, so it's unclear if that will be delayed as a result of the virus exposure. If so, it will mean Cohen will testify on Wednesday.

Trump attacked Cohen for not having the "guts" to face him in court when he postponed his appearance earlier this week. It's unknown if Trump will be in court for Tuesday' testimony, but on Friday, Cohen told Raw Story, "I hope so."

Given that Trump is incapable of learning from experience and still thinks he can get away with pretty much anything, it seems safe to assume he will continue to ignore the various gag orders in the expectation that nothing will happen. Sadly, many across the ideological spectrum share this view.

However, because the view is shared does not make it reality.

So... suppose one or another of the judges in the various Trump trials decides 'enough is enough' and has Trump remanded to pretrial custody?

How does Trump cope with this unacceptable form of reality - being confined and unable to do anything about it? 

What do Trump's followers do?

Might be time to start considering these matters...

25 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Given that Trump is incapable of learning from experience and still thinks he can get away with pretty much anything

Which so far has been 100% accurate

25 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

it seems safe to assume he will continue to ignore the various gag orders in the expectation that nothing will happen. Sadly, many across the ideological spectrum share this view.

However, because the view is shared does not make it reality.

So... suppose one or another of the judges in the various Trump trials decides 'enough is enough' and has Trump remanded to pretrial custody?

It would be appealed almost immediately and taken up almost immediately by SCOTUS, who would tell that judge to go pound sand. 

And Trump would simply refuse to go into custody in the meantime.

5 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

It would be appealed almost immediately and taken up almost immediately by SCOTUS, who would tell that judge to go pound sand. 

And Trump would simply refuse to go into custody in the meantime.

That is what the current consensus claims.

It could be in error - which is where things get interesting.

I'd add that no judge, no matter how much they threaten him with the consequence... or even claim he's not above the law... will put him in pre-trial jail.

And it can't be stressed enough that TFG may be dumb as a rock, but so far, he's never had to learn, everyone around him and the whole system have enabled him.

Edited by Mindwalker

44 minutes ago, mormont said:

Add Jenna Ellis to the 'took a plea' list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67208871

Talk about crocodile tears though. She should serve a long prison sentence as all these evil traitorous fuckers deserve. 

Or as I always say, sharks do need to be fed too. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

30 minutes ago, mormont said:

Add Jenna Ellis to the 'took a plea' list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67208871

She whines as much as her revolting client;  "In her statement on Tuesday, Ms Ellis accused "lawyers with many more years of experience than I" of misleading her and failing to provide her with full and proper information related to the case. She qualified as a lawyer in 2011, according to records held by the Colorado state bar.

"What I did not do but should have done your honour was to make sure that the facts the other lawyers alleged to be true, were in fact true," she told the court.

"As an attorney who is also a Christian, I take my responsibilities as a lawyer very seriously, and I endeavour to be a person of sound moral and ethical character in all of my dealings," she added. "In the wake of the 2020 presidential election, I believed that challenging the results on behalf of President Trump should be pursued in a just and legal way."

A pathetic liar too.  Hope she loses her law license. 

LOL that one is...

In her statement on Tuesday, Ms Ellis accused "lawyers with many more years of experience than I" of misleading her and failing to provide her with full and proper information related to the case. She qualified as a lawyer in 2011, according to records held by the Colorado state bar.

f-tier lawyer indeed. Nine years of legal practice wasn'T enough experience for Dr. Jenna Ellis expert in constitutional law?

I wonder what effect that plea deal will have on her crowd funding page, my guess is, she won't hit the $300.000 donation threshold.

16 minutes ago, LongRider said:

"As an attorney who is also a Christian,

Fuck her for saying something like that. 

It is funny though that people who do this would horrify Jesus. 

30 minutes ago, LongRider said:

A pathetic liar too.  Hope she loses her law license. 

Isn't it already suspended by the Colorado bar?

Anyway, I don't think you will ever see any of those lawyers  practising law again.

ANd with all the civil suits, I think folks like Powell are on the same trajectory as Giuliani, just that he is  ahead of the curve.  I mean both voting machine manufacturers have filed the obligatory bilion dollar defmation law suit.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger