UK Politics: Tory Closing Down Sale- Everything Must Go

polishgenius

The Rwanda plan was silly and badly thought out, almost on purpose as a way of getting it to fail in the courts so the Tories could blame other people whilst appearing to be trying to do something to stop the boats.

A third country processing area for immigration, in itself isn't a bad idea. It worked pretty well in Australia, and there does need to be some sort of deterrent for people coming here. If they think they are almost guaranteed a place in the UK if they just make it here then what is the point of a border at all. 

It does make a good case for leaving the ECHR, although that won't happen now.

The particularly entertaining thing about the Braverman resignation letter is her whining about how these things are 'what we promised in the 2019 manifesto' when in fact, with one exception, they were not in that manifesto. Couldn't she even be bothered to do her homework on her own resignation letter?

Edited by mormont

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I was with you until then.

There is no good case for leaving the ECHR.

Exactly which ECHR secured human rights are you willing to give up?

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

How much money did we pay Rwanda with nothing to show for it?

£140m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-61782866

And now the proposal is to send good money after bad, rip up both international and domestic law with potentially enormous consequences (including the Good Friday Agreement), and waste more Parliamentary and Supreme Court time, all in pursuit of a policy that has no shred of evidence that it would have any effect at all on the problem it is supposed to fix.

I think England should continue doing this for all former colonies - sending them boatloads of money up front and then not following through.

And if, like Rwanda, they want to pay other country's colonial debts I guess that's fine too

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Also, Rwanda was never a British colony.

That was my immediate reaction too but I wondered why it felt wrong. While not a British colony, Rwanda joined the Commonwealth in 2009. Wasn’t that hailed as a great thing in 2009, “look, they weren’t a colony but they still want to be part of us!”

I always thought that was weird.

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That was my immediate reaction too but I wondered why it felt wrong. While not a British colony, Rwanda joined the Commonwealth in 2009. Wasn’t that hailed as a great thing in 2009, “look, they weren’t a colony but they still want to be part of us!”

I always thought that was weird.

Yeah, I found it strange too. I think Rwanda joined for trade and cooperation purposes since its neighbours are part of the Commonwealth.

BBC News - Rwanda becomes a member of the Commonwealth

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The analyses I was reading say the judgement was mostly focussed on UN refugee treaties rather than the ECHR, and so the plan would still be unlawful even if we weren't in the ECHR.

Rishi Sunak to pass a law saying he's the handsomest man in the world.

Rishi Sunak to pass a law saying his farts smell like butterscotch.

Rishi Sunak to pass a law saying Santa Claus is real.

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

Rishi Sunak to pass a law saying he's the handsomest man in the world.

Rishi Sunak to pass a law saying his farts smell like butterscotch.

Rishi Sunak to pass a law saying Santa Claus is real.

Rishi Sunak to pass a law punishing Santa Claus for putting coal in his stockings every single year. (Fun fact, he still does that).

Completed the list for you.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

On 11/13/2023 at 1:01 PM, mormont said:

Coffey's gone too. 

I thought you meant that Braverman had stolen Number 10's coffee stash in a fit of pique on her way out, mainly as my brain had completely failed to register the continued existence of the human being of the same name.

It would be fine to leave the ECHR assuming the UK had its own equivalent bill of rights or some such. I guess they could copy and paste most of the ECHR into a UK law and just leave out anything that pertains to refugee and assylum seeker rights. That would be fine, right?