Football: Guirassy-ing to victory

polishgenius

I'm also not entirely sure what they are whining about.

It was a red.

Handball yeah, but that's a story of its own, and has been for a while.

Anyway, United need min 4 points from their games against Gala (this is a must-win game) and Bayern.

Let's take a look at the other groups while we're at it.

Group B is still interesting, in terms of who will accompany Arsenal to the k.o. sage.

Group C is race for third. Union could still salvage EL football, if they were to win at Braga.

Group D is more or less settled, just a matter of whether Inter or San Sebastian will win finish on top. That will be decided in the final game.

Group E is wide open, with the exception of the Bhoys anybody can advance to the next round.

Group F is anyone's guess, Group of Death living up to its name.

Group G is going as predicted.

Group H has become pretty interesting after Donetsk managed to beat Barca. Porto-Donetsk will probably be the decissive game, onwho plays CL and EL.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I'm also not entirely sure what they are whining about.

It was a red.

Handball yeah, but that's a story of its own, and has been for a while.

I thought it was a bit unfair. Yea, it was high on the ankle but he was trying to shield the ball, not tackle, had no malice or violent intent. Just felt super unlucky and for me, shouldn’t be a red.

Just now, Mexal said:

I thought it was a bit unfair. Yea, it was high on the ankle but he was trying to shield the ball, not tackle, had no malice or violent intent. Just felt super unlucky and for me, shouldn’t be a red.

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/fouls-and-misconduct/#introduction

Serious foul play

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

I think Rashford's foul ticks the required boxes.

Unlucky yeah, but safety of his opponent was endangered.

Think Rashford was a bit unlucky in that this wasn't a blatantly stonewall red card - sometimes those are given and sometimes not. The original decision was a yellow and I don't think VAR should have intervened in this case because there was no clear and obvious error by the on field referee.

Think United will finish rock bottom of the group. We have little to no chance against Bayern, and we will not get anything more than a point (at best) away to Gala. The primary issue is that our defensive structure has completely broken down and it's just far far too easy to score goals against us. Injuries have exacerbated the problem but this issue was very apparent all through preseason and the early part of the season before all the injuries.

Premier league panel supports Var decision v Arsenal due to insufficient evidence to overturn.

But says both Havertz and Bruno should have been sent off (can't disagree). Though Bruno probably wouldn't have dropped the elbow if correct decision had been made in first incident. Surprising they were more sure that havertz should have went than Bruno, 4-1 compared to 3-2. I'd have had it the other way round. 

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That’s two stinkers in a row from Liverpool after being on a very positive run.  They need to set that right.

Tsimikas is the Greek Alberto Moreno :P

He's an awful footballer! No way is he back up to Robbo. 

He's so awful that I'd rather Gomez play in his position.

Endo was bad too, I saw a stat that he didn't win any of his ground duels. WTF :blink:

We need to buy a proper DM and LB in the winter transfer window.

And according to David Ornstein, Salah wants to stay at Liverpool!

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

21 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Gary O'Neil has done a good job for Wolves especially considering they had a poor transfer window which resulted in Lopetegui walking days before the start of the season and they've been on the wrong end of numerous poor referee calls as well.

And O'Neil going to Wolves has been Bournemouth's loss as the table shows. I don't know what happened there, considering that he had saved them from relegation last year.

How we won this game, I'll never know. We continue doing the silly thing - falling deep whenever we score, and today Palace came back twice. After the second comeback, I feared we'd get done, as Palace were clearly better, but for reasons unknown to man or beast, Gana suddenly popped up with a goal.

I mean ... that's even more unexpected than Maupay scoring.

Also, Mykolenko scoring for a second consecutive game, taking his Everton tally to three. Weird, but I'll take it.