US Politics: Shutdown Showdown

Mr. Chatywin et al.

No. Stop. It can't be.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump's social media platform Truth Social has lost $73 million since its launch in early 2022, a securities filing by Digital World Acquisition Corp (DWAC.O), the SPAC that plans to merge with the company, showed on Monday.

Trump had announced the launch of his social media app in Oct 2021, saying it would "stand up to Big Tech" companies such as Twitter and Facebook that previously barred him.

In 2022, Truth Social posted a loss of $50 million, with net sales of just $1.4 million. It lost $23 million in the first half of this year, with net sales of $2.3 million.

Trump Media & Technology Group's (TMTG) independent registered public accounting firm has indicated that the financial condition raises substantial doubt as to its ability to continue as a going concern, according to the filing.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/trumps-truth-social-reports-73-mln-net-loss-since-launch-2023-11-14/

Conversely: $75 million for two years of media spend is not actually that outrageous, and it lets Trump say whatever he pleases without any real oversight or restrictions to a whole lot of people.

Profit is probably annoying but a secondary issue.

50 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Conversely: $75 million for two years of media spend is not actually that outrageous, and it lets Trump say whatever he pleases without any real oversight or restrictions to a whole lot of people.

Profit is probably annoying but a secondary issue.

That’s true… but there’s also Ex-Twitter, Telegram, 4chan etc. where there seems little to no oversight either, does he really need truthsocial as well? I guess it’s a good extra… but maybe to high maintenance in the long run…

The Republican Party and its elected members are insane.  The Senator from Oklahoma attempted to pick a fight with a witness… during a televised hearing… Sen. Bernie Sanders had to take control

What the actual fuck??!

https://x.com/noliewithbtc/status/1724472568843784342?s=46

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Republican Party and its elected members are insane.  The Senator from Oklahoma attempted to pick a fight with a witness… during a televised hearing… Sen. Bernie Sanders had to take control

What the actual fuck??!

https://x.com/noliewithbtc/status/1724472568843784342?s=46

Well clearly that would not have happened if everyone had a gun.

/s

6 hours ago, Darzin said:

I feel like this is the least concerning thing about Trump. A presidential candidate vets candidates who will carry out his agenda! Shocking!  

When paired with an initiative to purge the federal government of non-political career professionals in favor of slavish toadies, it's a big deal. Keep in mind that a huge reason why Trump didn't damage the country more than he wanted to last time was because career professionals told him that what he wanted was against the constitution. This second time around, the MAGA cult is looking to become much more effective in advancing their fascist agenda.

1 hour ago, Bironic said:

That’s true… but there’s also Ex-Twitter, Telegram, 4chan etc. where there seems little to no oversight either, does he really need truthsocial as well? I guess it’s a good extra… but maybe to high maintenance in the long run…

Yes. Twitter has banned him in the past and may ban him again, 4chan does not have the reach and also has the added problem of having a whole lot of perverts that most people don't want to be around, and Telegram isn't big enough yet either. 

Truth Social has one feature all of those things lack: his full, unadulterated control. It also has the illusion that it is not just about him and is a social network (which makes it better than a blast of emails or messages direct to users), but again that's secondary. 

He can't take that risk. And Twitter did ban Kanye almost immediately after reinstating him. 

The other issue is that Trump is somewhat of a problem for Twitter's advertisers, at least some of them, and he's already on shaky ground there. But Trump is at least right now unbanned on twitter so in theory he could post there - but why should he? Anything he says can be boosted over on Twitter by people who appear to have learned nothing about social media, and in the meantime he has a perfectly adequate megaphone that is happily being paid for by someone else. 

Its different to ban Trump or Kanye IMHO... not exactly comparable... but I agree that he will keep Truth social as long as he can run for office and or has an office...it might lose some money but it gives him a platform...

Ohio republicans seem to move forward to remove the will of the people (women's reproductive rights):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-abortion-issue-1-republicans-judiciary/

Honestly, don't we need more actual physical fights in the House? I think we do. That'd solve a lot of problems, and Matt Gaetz definitely is very punchable.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/14/1212912482/mccarthy-burchett-elbow-house-republicans?utm_medium=JSONFeed&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=press.coop

McCarthy shoved past Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., as he was speaking with NPR's Claudia Grisales in a hallway. Burchett stumbled forward and yelled after McCarthy, "Why'd you elbow me in the back, Kevin?! Hey Kevin, you got any guts?!"

Burchett then called McCarthy a "jerk" and chased him down the hallway. When he caught up to him, he said, "What kind of chicken move is that? You're pathetic, man. You are so pathetic."

This sounds like the kind of fight that an 8 year old would come up with. 

Given the bizarre Republican antics all over Capitol Hill today Sen. Mullin R-OK challenging the Teamster’s Union President to a fight… during a hearing.  Rep. Comer R-TX calling the allegations about his loan to his brother “Bullshit” from his position as the chair of the House Oversight committee.  MTG calling Darrell Issa a “pussy”… I have a question… does the Republican Party believe the only people left who support their horseshit are Pro Wrestling fans?

Is this a concerted effort to appeal to the dumbasses who do nothing but drink and watch pro wrestling?

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Not really; most pro wrestling fans lean to the left.  They also don't vote that much. 

Maybe they see how Trump was received the other night and think they’re an untapped source of votes?

(It is true I have never liked Pro Wrestling… not even as a kid)

Just now, mormont said:

This is likely influenced by the fact that lots of LGBT folks love pro wrestling, because it's camp as hell.

Per various articles the main reason appears to be minorities tend to be WWE fans, and they skew heavily leftwards. 

I thought it was more interesting that college football is absolutely dominated by right-leaning folks and they tend to vote a whole lot more; I would have thought that because it's college it would have been more, well, young-leaning and therefore leftwards. But I guess the people who really watch it year after year are predominantly from the South and Midwest and probably alums who are older. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Per various articles the main reason appears to be minorities tend to be WWE fans, and they skew heavily leftwards.

Interesting, I didnt know that... as an european WWE was always kind of an enigma to me. But it makes sense somehow, isn't lucha libre basically mexican wrestling or WWE usamerican lucha libre?

No, while a lot of WWE wrestlers these days are influenced by lucha libre and copy those moves, it's not the same thing. More like one style among many that WWE wrestlers use.

Gads these fascists in House and Senate are giving the slaveocracy authoritarians 1850-1860 a fun for the money for being the most aggressive, loudmouthed howling banshee yahoos ever.  We're really close to shots being fired and a member being so badly beaten he couldn't come back to the House for years, and was never the same afterwards.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Not really; most pro wrestling fans lean to the left.  They also don't vote that much. 

I'm more shocked by monster truck shows appealing slightly more to those who lean left. 

Also, I'd assumed the Olympics and LPGA would be center left, but guess not. 

NCAAF results aren't surprising at all though.